Who Still Uses a Brush, and How Often?

NYLegalNewbie

We all know that brushing too often is BAAAAAAADDDD for the hair. Especially with the wrong brush.

But who here still uses a brush, say, for blow drying or something like that? And if you use it, how often do you use it?

candiel

I use my brush to smooth my hair back when I'm doing an airdried ponytail. Since I am 5 months post relaxer, I've been using my brush twice a day to make my edges lay down.

My hair is starting to break off in the front b/c of it though.:perplexed I've decided to ease up on the brush. BTW, I use a boar bristle brush.

KhandiB

I brush when I have to use brown gel, which is usually about 5-6 weeks post ..

its a soft brush

lana

I use a massage brush on my hair right before I wash it. I mean literally moments before I wash my hair - in order to stimulate my scalp. Ohmygosh that brush has me wanting a cigarette and I ain't no smoking chick. :badgirl: (Yes, I stole that line from Tamia's song). :lachen:

Eisani

Well, I had stopped using brushes but then I bought a Denman...that brush is straight addictive and while my hair is straight I figure hey, why not? I love the way this brush feels on my scalp and it distributes oils throughout the rest of the hair so well! I feel like I'm getting my scalp massage/stimulation from this brush. I even stuck it in my purse this morning :grin: but on the real, when it's not straight this brush will not be coming near my hair!!

Missi

i use a......
  • round brush - 1x a week to blow out my roots
  • paddle brush - 1x a week (silk wrap) or 7x a week (wrapping)
  • boar bristle brush - 7x a week: just to smooth down my hair.
Cathy Howse of UBH hair says its okay to brush your hair as long has your not using it to style your hair. Ex: i'll comb my hair back into a ponytail: then i'll go over it gently with a boar bristle brush to lay any flyaways or lay my hair down smoothly. I get no breakage or hair in my brush.

SilentRuby

I still brush a little, but with a 100% boar bristle brush dipped in oil. My problem is combing. At least I tried not to comb everyday though.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I use my denman once every blue moon. Actually my daughter uses it on her bratz head and I forgot i even had it until you started this thread. Now i need to find it and use it in the shower :grin: I've stopped combing so much too as it isn't always necessary for me and the styles i wear, but i do comb/detangle in the shower everytime i cowash.

Artemis

Now that I know there are different types of softness for boar bristle brushes, I do use one. I have a conair cushion one that I like, but plan on investing in a Jean-Pierre one in the New Year. I don't use it often (by that I mean not every day) but I like to use it sometimes right before washing if I waited longer that 5 days to wash, or if I just feel like giving my hair a good brush. I find it also helps to smooth down my wrap. I don't get breakage from this. The bristles are soft. I also have another soft conair one that is a huge round brush. If I am awake enough to use it, it gets my hair so straight during a blow dry that I don't have to flat iron (I just bun afterwards). But I have to be alert enough to concentrate on my technique for that. I've done a bit of research on brushes, and learned that there are different types that are used depending on your hair type (density, thick/thin strands, etc) and what you need the brush for.

ETA: Oh yeah, I also have a small round boar bristle brush for blowing out the roots after a rollerset. And the ones w/the plastic balls on the ends, but don't use those very often. Now that I think a/b it, I have a lot of brushes :rolleyes:

Last edited:

lilamae

I only use a brush to put my hair back in a pony tail. PS Castro oil hold down a ponytail almost as good as gel. I have been brushing into a ponytail for years with no breakage.

DayStar

i only use a brush when my hair is FRESHLY relaxed, and when i do use a brush (a paddle brush only) i use it to brush out only my roots and never my ends, so i stop brushing my hair when im approaching my ends. other than those rare occasions, i use my hands to manuver my hair into the style i want.

i only comb in the shower (when stretching under high pressure water) once or twice a week.

lisatamika

i use a......
  • round brush - 1x a week to blow out my roots
  • paddle brush - 1x a week (silk wrap) or 7x a week (wrapping)
  • boar bristle brush - 7x a week: just to smooth down my hair.
Cathy Howse of UBH hair says its okay to brush your hair as long has your not using it to style your hair. Ex: i'll comb my hair back into a ponytail: then i'll go over it gently with a boar bristle brush to lay any flyaways or lay my hair down smoothly. I get no breakage or hair in my brush.

This is me too :yep:

lisatamika

Well, I had stopped using brushes but then I bought a Denman...that brush is straight addictive and while my hair is straight I figure hey, why not? I love the way this brush feels on my scalp and it distributes oils throughout the rest of the hair so well! I feel like I'm getting my scalp massage/stimulation from this brush. I even stuck it in my purse this morning :grin: but on the real, when it's not straight this brush will not be coming near my hair!!

Just curious . . . what kind of Denman do you have? I just got a D81 and yes it is VERY addictive!

almondjoi85

I use a boar bristle brush. I thought it was good to use to distrubute oils thru the hair? Am I wrong? I don't use it too often tho, only to smooth down hairs when I have a pony tail or something.

MissLawyerLady

My hair doesn't like brushes! :nono: Since I'm relaxed, I can get my edges just as smooth slicking them back w/water and my fingers or if I really need them straight with the fine teeth of my comb. My edges and my nape hairs grow in straighter than my crown.

SpiritJunkie

i use a brush daily since i wear a ponytail everyday. I use a boar brush just to smooth out my hair. i use my fingers first or large tooth comb. more my fingers though.

fluffylocks

I use a massage brush on my hair right before I wash it. I mean literally moments before I wash my hair - in order to stimulate my scalp. Ohmygosh that brush has me wanting a cigarette and I ain't no smoking chick. :badgirl: (Yes, I stole that line from Tamia's song). :lachen:

:lachen::lachen:

Nah, i dont use a brush. I have a denman, but i havent even used it once. Its more a like a comb imo though

scorpian

I have a Denman boar bristle brush
I use it every night to smooth my wrapped hair before I tie it up in a scarf

LynnieB

i have a denman D5, denman paddle brush and a 100% natural boar bristle.

i use the D5 (the big heavy one) every time i detangle/de-shed my hair, so it's once a week. we get along very well!!

the paddle and the boar bristle? not so much these days, if ever.

scorpian

i have a denman D5, denman paddle brush and a 100% natural boar bristle.

i use the D5 (the big heavy one) every time i detangle/de-shed my hair, so it's once a week. we get along very well!!

the paddle and the boar bristle? not so much these days, if ever.

I have those too...I don't use the D5 now that I'm relaxed..
I got a lot of use out of the D5 as a natural
My hair is short so I don't need to use the paddle brush

lunabelle

I use a boar bristle brush on the days that i air dry. Immediately after I wash I smooth my hair back with my hands and tie it down. When it's just about dry I take my scarf off slap on some more leave-in and a little JAM on the edges and brush just enough to get it straight back.

MsKipani

If my hair is pulled back in a bun or pony, particularly if I'm wearing it curly, I'll use a boar bristle brush to smooth it down. But if I keep it like that for a few days, tying it down with a scarf can eliminate brushing everyday

imstush

I used to use a 100% natural boar bristle everyday, but that started to feel too hard. So I started using a baby's brush. But since I am in the no manipulation, I am trying to master 7 days without it.

LovelyLionessa

I use a pure boar bristle brush on occasion. After rollersetting, I'll use one to gently brush my roots smooth. When bunning I also use one to smooth my hair back. I use brushes on my roots only never ever through the length of my hair or ends. :nono:

I use a toothbrush daily to groom edges and keep them smooth after applying product.

cmw45

I use a brush once a week to once every week and a half to detangle. I use a denman. My hair is wet. I know that I have committed three cardinal hair sins but my hair is thriving and I have no idea how I would detangle otherwise.

Allandra

I still use a brush. I have a soft boar bristle brush and a paddle brush. I love giving my hair a good brushing with my big ole paddle brush. Right now, I brush my hair about once a day.

MizAvalon

I have a paddle brush that I use a fair amount, it's very gentle though and I never lose any hair.

I just bought a boar bristle brish and a round brush for rollersets.