Whole Grains to Grow Healthy Beautiful Hair

Coffee

Go for Whole Grains to Grow Healthy Beautiful Hair

Everybody knows whole grains are good for you on a number of levels, but did you know that many grains like amaranth, barley, millet and quinoa can actually provide special proteins, vitamins and nutrients which will help to strengthen, beautify and assist in the growth of healthy gorgeous hair?

If you're interested in eating to help your hair, consider the following whole grain options. Remember the grains need to be whole and not healthy-sounding faux grain products.

Although you may see products labeled as multigrain, stone-ground, bran, 7-grain, wheat flour or similar, they may not be truly whole grain products.

How can you tell the difference between true whole grain and faux whole grain products? A true whole-grain food should always list one of the following ingredients first in the product ingredient list: whole wheat, brown rice, barley, bulgur, graham flour, oatmeal, whole-grain corn, whole or rolled oats, whole rye, kamut or wild rice.

Amaranth

This whole grain has double the fiber of whole wheat and chock full of calcium and vitamin E. It's also a complete protein, containing all eight essential amino acids and considered to be of an unusually high quality. Even better, it's gluten-free.

A 1/4th cup of amaranth grain supplies 60% of the RDA of iron per day. It is also very high in lysine which is often lacking in some whole grains.

There are many ways to eat Amaranth. One of my favorites is to pop the grains in a dry skillet for a faux popcorn, but healthier snack. Some people love to use amaranth as a thickener for soups and stews. You can also make puddings and other yummy treats.

Barley

My mom's father used to grow barley on his farm in northern Missouri. This light brown grain is a very good source of vitamins and minerals including the antioxidant packed selenium. Barley is also very high in beta-glucan which is a very nutritious, heart-healthy fiber.

My grandmother used to substitute barley for rice in soups and casseroles. It can also be served in salads.

Millet

Millet look like small pale yellow round balls. Don't let the way it looks fool you. This whole grain is brimming with hair helping amino acids. It also contains hair friendly silica which can help to naturally lower cholesterol.

This Asian grain is gluten-free so it's great for all sorts of recipes from cereals and salads to casseroles. Sometimes this grain is toasted before used in recipes to give it a sweeter slightly nutty flavor. When combined with flour to help it rise it works great in breads and muffins.

Quinoa

Millet is brimming with amino acids. It also contains hair friendly silica which can help to naturally lower cholesterol.

Millet is gluten-free so it's great for all sorts of recipes from cereals and salads to casseroles.

Summary

Whole grains, when prepared properly can be scrumptious. Why not take eating to grow healthy hair to a while new level?

sunnieb

Cool! I gave up white bread years ago, and lately I've been eating a whole grain muffin for breakfast.

KurlyNinja

I love eating foods with whole grains. All my bread is multi whole grain breads. I've also noticed that whole grain foods seem to make me feel fuller so I eat less.