Why Are Gray Hairs The Hardiest Little Hairs On Your Head?!

Alpha Female

Is there some scientific reason why gray hairs are the hardiest little hairs on your head or is that just an illusion? It seems like every other hair on my 30-something year-old head can shed, break off, etc., but the gray hairs are still up their waving at me, like 'Ha, Ha' - I'm still here!! lol Has anybody else noticed this with their hair if they're starting to get some grays?

InnerSoul

I know...they are the wiriest littlest suckers atop my head!! but they lay down pretty good for me when I moisturize and deep condition.

blue_flower

I've noticed that. They're resistant to everything! Even if you pluck them out, they'll regrow in the same exact spot.

LynnieB

:blush:

i wish it were just my gray hairs that feel like that........my entire scalp is covered with that same wiry hair, they're just not gray in color :lachen:

fluffylocks

:lachen:My mothers stick out in weird angles in the front and are really straight and resillent, they also dont seem to need much moisture.

I *think* thats our hairs next texture change, from our baby texture, childhood, est. est. and i guess thats the last one.

It seems like its the exact opposite of how it was when we were babies.

There must be some reason why its so resillant and stuff, i know it has to be a good thing, im sure it helps us to retain our length when we are older & are not as able to take so much care of it.....i sure dont know. :drunk:

neenee280

I KNOW!!! I just relaxed, cellophaned my hair last week on thursday. I have done about 2 cowashes, which includes the one this morning. All I did was comb it back into a clip. I go to the ladies this afternoon and BAM, a little gray sucker sticking straight up! :wallbash:

glamazon386

:lachen:My mothers stick out in weird angles in the front and are really straight and resillent, they also dont seem to need much moisture.

I *think* thats our hairs next texture change, from our baby texture, childhood, est. est. and i guess thats the last one.

It seems like its the exact opposite of how it was when we were babies.

There must be some reason why its so resillant and stuff, i know it has to be a good thing, im sure it helps us to retain our length when we are older & are not as able to take so much care of it.....i sure dont know. :drunk:

I think you're right. I don't have any grays but on other people's head they seem like a totally different texture next to their regular hair.

Alpha Female

They are some kind of resilient, huh? The last to break or shed, the first to come back during regrowth...you would think that gray hair would be weaker, but hell naw, it's up there taunting you, waving at you, showing you who's in charge! lol. I wonder if it has something to do with the loss of pigment/coloring that makes it stronger? It's not an illusion - those are definitely some hardy lil suckers! lol Maybe I'll appreciate it if I get a whole head of gray hair when I get older, but with my luck, then they'll stop being resilient and start acting like normal hairs!!!