Why did I color my hair black?!

sareca

I colored my hair black yesterday. I thought I was safe because (1) it's a temporary dye (2) it's my favorite brand of temporary dye (3) my hair is in good condition. Well none of that mattered! My hair is dry, rough, and dull. I'm so unhappy, right now. :( What the heck was I thinking? This isn't my first bad experience w/ black hair dye. It's my 3rd. :wallbash: Unfortunately, I never remember the other experiences until I am staring at jet black straw in the mirror. This morning, I used Uncolor to take some of the awful looking color out. It didn't work to change the color, but it did take some of the straw feeling away. Right now I have a moisturizing conditioner on it. I hoping that well settle things down until I reach 28 washes (or whatever it takes to get this crap out). Did I mention my bday is this Fri and I just got my braces off. So much for looking cute. :cry:

Last edited:

jamiette

Awwww, congratulations on the braces:grin: ! About the hair, it will get better. It is a good thing that it was temp color. In my experience as long as you keep it very well conditioned and moisturized, your hair will be fine. Best wishes for a very happy B-day!!!

J

JenniferMD

Next time use colourshines cellophane in coffee bean. I just dyed my hair black three weeks ago and I'm lovin' it. The cellophane acts primarily as a conditioner so my hair is showing no signs of dullness, dryness or any other bad side effects. I'm sorry this happened to you. Happy early birthday though!

sareca

JenniferMD said:
Next time use colourshines cellophane in coffee bean. I just dyed my hair black three weeks ago and I'm lovin' it. The cellophane acts primarily as a conditioner so my hair is showing no signs of dullness, dryness or any other bad side effects. I'm sorry this happened to you. Happy early birthday though!

That was on my wishlist (brand and color), but I didn't want to wait for it to come in the mail. That's what I get for being impatient.

sareca

While I'm sure no one was losing sleep over my hair fiasco, I thought I'd update ya'll anyway. ;) I had two problems; my hair felt dry and looked dry from the black dye. The feeling improved with a little uncolor and keracare, but it still looked dingy. I did a hot oil treatment last night and it softened even more but even better its shiny again. Yay! I actually kinda like the color now. Go figure. :grin: Never underestimate the power of a good ol' fashion hot oil treatment.

kitchen_tician

sareca said:
While I'm sure no one was losing sleep over my hair fiasco, I thought I'd update ya'll anyway. ;) I had two problems; my hair felt dry and looked dry from the black dye. The feeling improved with a little uncolor and keracare, but it still looked dingy. I did a hot oil treatment last night and it softened even more but even better its shiny again. Yay! I actually kinda like the color now. Go figure. :grin: Never underestimate the power of a good ol' fashion hot oil treatment.

I'm glad it worked out. :) I just read this and I was going to suggest a hot oil treatment and a good moisturizing conditioner. Also, what brand of color did you use?

sareca

kitchen_tician said:
I'm glad it worked out. :) I just read this and I was going to suggest a hot oil treatment and a good moisturizing conditioner. Also, what brand of color did you use?

I'm so glad I'm not the only one up this late or early. :) I used Natural Instincts. I loved their other colors. I think black is just too harsh.

Isis

I'm glad it all worked out for you! I haven't tried coloring my hair yet so I'm learning from reading your and other ladies' threads about it. Have a Happy Birthday!!

sareca

Thanks Isis! :) The darkest I'll ever go again is dark brown. My highlights show through dark brown. Nothing shows through black. It's all one solid color which looks very artificial. I'm probably exaggerating a bit. Nobody even noticed (or they hated it).

PinkAngel

Sareca,

I have a box of Natural Instincts in Dark Warm Brown. The instructions say not to shampoo after applying the color. Did you shampoo after you colored?

meia

that color looks beautiful with your hair type to me!!! I know when i use bigen or any other type of hair color for that matter) i have to wash my hair (rinse or shampoo) pretty frequently for the next few days to bring my hair back to the way it was before and apply TONS of conditioner and oil...even after the intial dyeing i like to shampoo then condition and leave it in then i like to add oil...some say it doesnt help the color set but it helps my color set wonderfully!!

if you really do have a problem- just grow it out-- dont get it bleached or chemically lightened or anything like that...just let it naturally fade and your hair will regain its color after a bit and lose the harshness...if not you could always use henna (i've done this tons of times a few months after applying regular dye and i've never had a problem) and it'll lighten your hair to a reddish dark brown...some people have problems with that and it damages the hair..but for me, i've not had a problem...

lol i still think the color is beautiful!!;)

sareca

meia said:
that color looks beautiful with your hair type to me!!! I know when i use bigen or any other type of hair color for that matter) i have to wash my hair (rinse or shampoo) pretty frequently for the next few days to bring my hair back to the way it was before and apply TONS of conditioner and oil...even after the intial dyeing i like to shampoo then condition and leave it in then i like to add oil...some say it doesnt help the color set but it helps my color set wonderfully!!

if you really do have a problem- just grow it out-- dont get it bleached or chemically lightened or anything like that...just let it naturally fade and your hair will regain its color after a bit and lose the harshness...if not you could always use henna (i've done this tons of times a few months after applying regular dye and i've never had a problem) and it'll lighten your hair to a reddish dark brown...some people have problems with that and it damages the hair..but for me, i've not had a problem...

lol i still think the color is beautiful!!;)

Thanks, that sweet. I think it just reminds me too much of my science teacher in high school. He had white eye brows and jet black hair (not pretty). I've loved black hair on other black women, but on me it's taking a while to adjust. I'm planning to rebraid in a couple of weeks so I won't have to look at it everyday.

melodee

Glad the hot oil worked for you. Because the semi-perm color coats the hair instead of penetrating the cortex and actually changing the color from within, it can have the tendency to leave a filmy feel on your strands.

The key is it's application and rinsing removal. Sometimes, a quick wash after processing it will take that tacky feel away, just don't wash to rigorously or you will remove too much color. A deep conditioning afterward may make you feel like you've been under the dryer forever, but it halps to bring that sinkly feel back to the hair.

I have a black semiperm/rinse and I love the way it compliments my face. My prob is it doesn't last long at all. I'd love to do a demi-perm color (next step toward permanent) but I'm afraid of doing anything potentially damaging to my already frail ends.

sareca

Yeah, I think I did. The instructions say it's supposed to lather, but it never did. It never lathers for me so I did use some watered down Phytonectar shampoo after rinsing. The water also never runs clear for me. I usually just give up when my neck starts hurting (3-4 minutes).