Why do black women get charged a arm and a leg for hair care products?

My Friend

Just saw this on Castor Oil: Not Just for Sick Stomachs Anymore - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

For sure, no one should try to make castor oil by hand. The seeds of the castor bean are among the most deadly seeds on earth. As well as containing castor oil, the seeds of the castor bean plant also contain ricin -- a poison which is extremely toxic and most often fatal to insects, animals, and humans. In fact, nearly every type of animal is susceptible to ricin poisoning. Sap-sucking insects will die within 24 hours of eating castor bean foliage and the plant is fatally toxic to pets and livestock such as dogs, rabbits, horses, chickens, ducks, cattle, goats, sheep, and swine as well.

So I would rather stick to the Walmart/Target/local pharmacy brand than to try to make it.

Wow. I'll leave it up to the pro's.:grin:

Tiye

Um...the haircare industry makes money PERIOD, it's not just "black products" that are expensive. Ever went into sephora?? I've seen cheaper things with better ingredients compared to some of the crap in sephora.

ITA. Overall there are scads more high priced/"high end" products targeted to caucasian women than there are to black women. I paid something like 21 bucks for my 8 oz bottle jbco including shipping - the brand is sunways. I ordered coz it isn't sold in my area. That's quite a bit more than pharmacy castor oil but to me the expense is worthwhile coz I've tried the refined castor oil quite a few times over the years and it did not work for me at all - after its refined it behaves more like vaseline than anything else. All you need to make "natural" vaseline from castor oil is thicken it with a dab of beeswax. I didn't know castor oil was worth using until I tried the carib unrefined (or low refined). I don't believe it makes hair grow but it is very good for hair and skin. I use it in butter and oil blends or sometimes I use it straight - a little goes a long way. If an 8 oz bottle lasts me 3 months that's 7 dollars/month - that won't break me. And if I could walk in someplace and buy the oil I don't care about the higher price coz it's not cheaper for me to pay for a plane ticket to the caribbean to get it. But ... I suppose we all have our sticking points - I can't seem to make myself spend 12 bucks for a small bottle of heat protectant, I won't pay more than 40 bucks for a flat iron and I prefer bss hair.

FRESHstart101

because they know we'll pay for it. Black women love there hair and will do or pay just about anything to maintain it. i am living proof (hangs head)

Kimiche

I hate it when the koreans have sh** over-priced, so I just shop around wisely. My new store is Target, my neighborhood target has a whole side of and aisle dedicated to natural hair. "
They have things such as Shea moisture, Tailid Wajji (sry if i spelled it wrong), Twisted sister, lots of Curls, Kinky curly and much more."
Now I dont have to ever go to a beauty supply store again, unless it
Sallys, I rarely shop there.

I feel you. I was never too crazy about my BSS experiences back in the day. I haven't been to one in ages and I'm glad, because Target has what I need (Shea Moisture, etc.) for my hair now thank goodness. I also order certain things online as well. I'd rather do that than go to a BSS.

LuvlyRain3

Because they know that there are women out here that are looking for the magic "quick fix". Something that promises to grow there hair from their neck to their a$$ without them having to do nothing more than slap some goop on their scalp. Yes we here on lhcf know better than to believe that a product can be the end all be all to our haircare woes. but there are plenty of women that will walk into that place with one of there friends telling them " girl i heard this castor stuff makes your hair grow" and they will be all over it like was bottle was labeled instagro.

Yoshi3329

Black woman are charged an arm and a leg because they allow the people that control the black hair care market to overcharge them and they don't shop around.

Yes, it really crappy that they try to overprice goods, but you've got to shop around. It's not the Asians fault if anyone refuses to shop around. You shop around for the best price for everything else, why not for your haircare?

Lita

I actually picked up a bottle of JBCO in the beauty salon today and it was priced at $29.95. I have to think twice before spending that kind of money. No can do! I'm a products junkie, but thats a bit much for me.

NicBenny Try looking around because I live in N.Y too & I paid $5.99 for a 4oz bottle/Larger bottle was $8.99 JBCO...So shop around..(Good Luck) $29.95 NO WAY!

Happy Hair Growing!

anon123

I got a GIANT bottle of castor oil from the health food store on sale for $10. Score! It was regularly priced something like $16, so still way cheaper than that puny 8 oz bottle for a gazillion dollars. You don't need special castor oil. Any will do.

Junebug D

Plain castor oil is just fine. Folks built up so much hype around that Jamaican black, I'd overprice mine too! :lol: I thought the only difference was that the JBCO was easier to spread.

DrC

I NEVER buy high end hair products from those types of distributors. Thanks to my Cosmetology License, I get 50% + off of any high end hair products ( Only at Professional Beauty Supply stores), but its not that crucial for me since I'm like your friend. I just use plain ol regular castor oil. I have a friend who pays over $200 a month buying Phyto products/hair vitamins, when she could have been better off buying regular vitamins at Wal-Mart. Some black women are willing to spend tons of money on "Grow Hair Fast and Thick" products because they are REALLY looking for a true miracle.

My Friend

Because they know that there are women out here that are looking for the magic "quick fix". Something that promises to grow there hair from their neck to their a$$ without them having to do nothing more than slap some goop on their scalp. Yes we here on lhcf know better than to believe that a product can be the end all be all to our haircare woes. but there are plenty of women that will walk into that place with one of there friends telling them " girl i heard this castor stuff makes your hair grow" and they will be all over it like was bottle was labeled instagro.

You are so right