Why do Black Women want long hair???

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Year 1865...

Why do black people wanna be free? Freedom is associated with being white! Why can't we just be happy with the way things are?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Aerie

Not Seabiscuit girl

pebbles

[ QUOTE ]
Serei said:
One word: Longhairdiva.

[/ QUOTE ]

OUCH!!! You dug deep for that one!!
Seriously though, I don't think this is the same thing.

Aerie17

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
Year 1865...

Why do black people wanna be free? Freedom is associated with being white! Why can't we just be happy with the way things are?

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed!

By the way, that was Diamond nh's quote about Seabiscuit...I am still crackin' up!!

Tara

(excuse me for giggling)

I haven't read any of the responses yet, as I JUST got back on the board!! (glad it's back up)

I want to comment but am on my way out the door.

Tara

p.s. my giggle is because at least once every few years this question gets asked, and I'll do a search for the thread on it for you with the answers if it helps.

Oh, and welcome to the board

zoya_j

[ QUOTE ]
Serei said:
I noticed that too Pebbles but on the same token, I wouldn't go to a weight loss board and say, "Why are you trying to lose weight? Are you trying to be something you're not?" It may or may not be valid but I just wouldn't do it. That's challenging our intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto
this is how i feel

Bobbie

[ QUOTE ]
divacurl said:
i do disagree with sutton989, but i also do think that people have the right to state opinions . its doesn't mean that i agree with her but i do show RESPECT for what other people have to say. i don't think she was trying to attack us personally. i think its very childish to get mad when someone has a different opinions that you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the board, divacurl! I'm also new!

I agree with what you're saying, and I also would like to shed some light on how sutton may have been feeling when first coming to the board. Not to offend anyone, but when you first visit the threads here in LHCF, it's overwhelming to see the number of products some women use: protein/pre-shampoo/cholesterol/leave-in/and the kitchen sink conditioners, supplements, home made recipes, oh my!
When I first came here, I didn't think we needed more than a simple shampoo and conditioner!

At times, it does seems discouraging about the number of things our sistahs do to acheive that length,
. but often the effort we put in it is justified (considering how damaging perms can be), and for that reason, I no longer wonder why we do this (and sometimes daily) to our hair. (though there are occasions when regimes make me swoon!
)
And as a newbie, I would like to say, I understand where you were coming from,
, but it could've been worded differently (regimes is one thing, but the race issue is a whole 'nother thread!).

Shinka

You'd obviously be happier at nappturality.com, people here are not big on limiting themselves to narrow definitions in order to please or satisfy other people's ideals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't appreciate that comment about nappturality., Yes their focus is the care for women with nappy kinky hair. But in no way are their views limited and ignornant like her comment was. Just how this site is for women who want long hair and that journey. Nappturality is women want healthier nappy hair and that journey.

It's a support because often black women are told our natural hair is ugly etc. But the site doesn't promote anti-white sentiments. People go their to please themselves about their idea of what it means to go natural, or be a Black women. It's not a anti-white, anti-perm cult.

firecracker

Serei and everyone else lets be nice. Because it could scare away new members and the numbers are growing daily. When I first joined I was afraid to vocalize my thoughts. I just referred 3 people because you guys have great topics and positive interaction!!!!

Bobbie

I'm already scared to post.
but i do it anyway.
But anyway, pebbles is going to close this thread soon, so welcome to the forum HoneyLemonDrop!
(i just hope i won't get attacked one day...)

firecracker

So true!!!
shoe's are my passion also. Nothing cures a bad hair-day like a new pair of hot shoes(high high heels perferably)

Serei

It's not about attacking newbies. I didn't mean it that way. It's just, I mean, come on! She dropped a question like that, stirred things up and then left us to simmer. Am I the only one who thinks that is weird?
Don't be afraid to post questions and comments about hair. That is why we are here.

Bobbie

no hard feelings, serei. i was half-joking anyway.

most likely, she got overwhelmed by the responses, that's why she isn't replying.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
latia said:
,,,we are free...free to grow our hair!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Y'all have me
over here. I don't even have to adress the orignal question because so many people already eloquently did. But here's my advice..."Free your mind and the rest will follow, be colorblind don't be so shallow" Y'all remember that Envogue song it was about the stereotypes that blacks get put into all the time even by other blacks and this long hair = white is a very pervasive one. Like someone else said I don't feel more black when my hair is short, it's ludicrous that we even buy into the myths about what we as blacks are capable and not capable of.

G

[ QUOTE ]
pebbles said:
And the count down continues...6...5...4...

[/ QUOTE ]

Another one!? LOL!

adrienne0914

after some of the responses, i don't think i'd post either. how would you like being called a troll if you just wanted an answer to a question? and who is stirring things up??? her last response to this was about 140 posts ago...

is it THAT hard to think back to the time when you wondered whether you could really grow long hair? is it THAT hard to remember when you thought there was nothing wrong with using a curling iron daily? i had all of these bad habits and preconceived notions until i learned otherwise.

i still remember the thoughts i had when i found my first hair board. i wondered too. i wasn't a troll. it's just that everything on that board was completely foreign to me and every black woman i knew. i'm glad no one called me a troll for asking questions...

firecracker

,,,Now you knew good and well that using that curling iron everyday was not healthy. You just had to be fine!!!!
....Serei's did apologize and explain. I hope that the originator reads the many post that she initated and realize that its ok to grow your hair and ask question's...."A closed mouth never gets fed"

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I certainly hope that my reply would not be considered offensive or mean. That was my creative way of saying that it's hard to "think outside of the box" when you didn't even know that the box had an outside.

firecracker

girl, I didn't see the seabiscuit movie. So your comment flew over my head, like many things do.LOL!!! I have to be slapped sometimes to recognize!!!!...I'm sure you were just having innocent fun...