Why do Black Women want long hair???

MizAvalon

CantBeCopied said:
I don't know for sure. Good question. However, I guess if you see your friend's hair is ate-up in the back and she is going for a touchup every 3 weeks what would you say? Anything at all? Or Nothing?

Every 3 weeks? And she never said anything? :ill:

Ok, you got me there.:lol:

Trini"T"

I want long hair because I want to be white.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Also yes some long-hair girls are like that. They want to be the only ones with the long hair so they won't tell a soul about how they are taking care of their hair:ohwell: . Either that or they seriously feel like they aren't doing anything special to it to make it grow. Maybe they just don't do stupid things to their hair. Maybe proper hair practices are just common sense to them

I want long hair because it is supposed to be long(unless I want to keep it short). Healthy hair grows long so why shouldn't my healthy hair grow long?

maryj1584

Being in college, you get to meet different people, oh yes white people work hard too to have long healthy hair, look at this website for instance, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=39943 it is one just like ours but for white women, so it is all women that want to have long hair, black, white, asiain, I have talked to many of my multi racial friends and they all want long hair.

sutton989 said:
I really want to get this out because since i'v been coming to this site for about 3 week this subject has been bothering me. Now before I state how I feel, let me just say that I love this site. It’s good to see so many black women have a bond on one board. My problem is what is the obsession with black women and long hair?? When I first started coming to this site it made me think a lot about why I was coming here. You never see White, Hispanic, or Asian women making a website about having long hair. It kind of made me feel like I was a sell out. Because long hair has long been associated with whiteness. Why can't we be happy with healthy hair? Why does it have to be long?? It kind of bugs me when I see all these post about outrageous combination and different vitamins to take on how to get long hair. It just feels like some kind unconscious self hatred. I don't know if I clearly expressed how i feel. Does anyone else feel this way?
p.s.
this post by no means was meant to offend anyone. I just wanted to voice my feelings.

Lovelylocs

Healthy hair does not break! So why would anyone purposely use products that make their hair break just so that they won't be a sell-out? I know that to the outside (non-LHCF) world this is a real way of thinking for many black women, but for someone who has been a lurker and member for a while now, it just seems really ignorant and stupid to me. No offense. I dopnt even know if I have the energy to discuss it. LOL If u don't want to grow your hair out, then don't. But, just think this is smthg that anyone could have if they are properly educated about thier hair.

CookieLAD

Lots of us have always had long hair. Mine is just longer, stronger and healthier than it's ever been before, because of the women here in the forum.

I just want to take good care of what God gave me, and as a result of taking care of it, it grows.

facets

CookieLAD said:
Lots of us have always had long hair. Mine is just longer, stronger and healthier than it's ever been before, because of the women here in the forum.

I just want to take good care of what God gave me, and as a result of taking care of it, it grows.

That's true! if you have old family photos, it seems like most of the women of past generations had longer hair than now.

i'd be willing to bet that very few great-grandmothers had short or even medium-length hair.

I prefer the versatility of longer/bigger hair. Also I've BC'd about 5 times(for damage, for going natural, and with the delusion that I'd be cute and carefree)...my head&face just looks better with more hair. I'm actually a bit jealous of women who look great with both extremes. maybe it's sacrilege here, but i feel super-short hair can be very chic and feminine on some women. not for me tho'

So since I have to grow it out once again, i don't want to make any silly mistakes this time. This place is fabulous for tips and inspiration!!

FYI, Last time it was a texturizer that jacked me and my hair started breaking esp around the hairline. So, that was yet another BC. Not again. I told my mom abt my plans and she said "I don't know why you're growing it out again..everytime it gets long you do something crazy to it or hack it all off." gee thanks :nono::lol:

Another reason for growing it is because my hair is so thick, it's actually easier to handle and care for long than at shorter lengths.

Last edited:

mermaid

Eiano said:
Sutton is long gone from this hair board, but OT, here is her hair album
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sutton989/album?.dir=e09e&.src=ph

I don't really get her.. :confused:
Even though this is an ancient thread, I'm gonna say that her hair looks like it was bought. Sorry. I know, I know!! I hate when folks make that assumption about black women, but there is something artificial looking about her hair, that particular wave pattern looks like what I've seen in a bag.
I guess I'm testy because her post made me mad, lol!!
Hmm. she seemed like a trouble maker and hasn't posted since we went to a pay site. wonder is she was the troll?

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I'm glad this whole thing is in the past because it's the kind of topic that makes J.C. feel extra froggy.

I hope that crab is comfy in her barrel.

Dare~to~Dream

Kiwi said:
Those pics are dated 2005 and she hasn't posted here since 2003. Is she a member on another hair board?
Yeah, I was wondering that too :confused:. Where did that album come from if she has not been on this site in two years? I will say that this thread was an interesting read...and that's all I have to say about that.

I didn't read the rest of the replies sorry sorry if I'm repeating a statement. But shouldn't this thread be titled "Why do Women Want Long Hair???" A lot of us consider long hair to be feminine for what ever reasons we have. I think long hair is something that some women of all races want to achieve. I mean look around, White women, Asian women, Latina women, and so on, are all rocking weaves, taking hair vitamins, ect, these days. There are hair care websites for women who aren't Black too.

tsiporah

sutton989 said:
I really want to get this out because since i'v been coming to this site for about 3 week this subject has been bothering me. Now before I state how I feel, let me just say that I love this site. It?s good to see so many black women have a bond on one board. My problem is what is the obsession with black women and long hair?? When I first started coming to this site it made me think a lot about why I was coming here. You never see White, Hispanic, or Asian women making a website about having long hair. It kind of made me feel like I was a sell out. Because long hair has long been associated with whiteness. Why can't we be happy with healthy hair? Why does it have to be long?? It kind of bugs me when I see all these post about outrageous combination and different vitamins to take on how to get long hair. It just feels like some kind unconscious self hatred. I don't know if I clearly expressed how i feel. Does anyone else feel this way?
p.s.
this post by no means was meant to offend anyone. I just wanted to voice my feelings.

Maybe you should do an internet search on Long hair forums. When I first started my journey, it was on the CAUCASIAN forums (which also has Asian and Hispanic members) on the journey for longer lengths.:)

Hair growth dear sister is natural, Our hair LOOKS short because of shrinkage. So we should cut it to not be self hating?? Does that make sense when hairs grow naturally?

Many AFRICAN women for thousands of years have had long hair/hairstyles but most people do not know about them. (and not all of them are wigs) European men during the slave trade have reported black women with waist length hair.

I think education is the key, then maybe simply wanting to grow long hair won't be seen as self hatred.

Tsipy

Blaque*Angel

Ar010 said:
I didn't read the rest of the replies sorry sorry if I'm repeating a statement. But shouldn't this thread be titled "Why do Women Want Long Hair???" A lot of us consider long hair to be feminine for what ever reasons we have. I think long hair is something that some women of all races want to achieve. I mean look around, White women, Asian women, Latina women, and so on, are all rocking weaves, taking hair vitamins, ect, these days. There are hair care websites for women who aren't Black too.

thank you so much for this post exactly www.longhairlovers.com is a site for caucasians growing long hair :)

Mahalialee4

sutton989 said:
I really want to get this out because since i'v been coming to this site for about 3 week this subject has been bothering me. Now before I state how I feel, let me just say that I love this site. It?s good to see so many black women have a bond on one board. My problem is what is the obsession with black women and long hair?? When I first started coming to this site it made me think a lot about why I was coming here. You never see White, Hispanic, or Asian women making a website about having long hair. It kind of made me feel like I was a sell out. Because long hair has long been associated with whiteness. Why can't we be happy with healthy hair? Why does it have to be long?? It kind of bugs me when I see all these post about outrageous combination and different vitamins to take on how to get long hair. It just feels like some kind unconscious self hatred. I don't know if I clearly expressed how i feel. Does anyone else feel this way?
p.s.

To the Poster: If you are lurking out there anywhere in Hairland or happen to pass through this forum and this post:
I must say that I am very curious about 2 things: 1. What about yourself...do you desire to have long hair or do you prefer to have only short hair and no other option? 2. Does your hair growth rate afford you the growth and length without any supplements or products or protective styling?
After asking that my answer for myself is: Why not if I can? Happy Hair Growing if that is your desire. bonjour

Last edited:

ShaniKeys

All women desire long hair, I went to an all white school my entire life and there was this white girl (blond) with waistlength hair, and she was the envy of all the other girls. They touched her hair all the time, every time she got her hair trimmed, the other classmates be like: why:confused:
I remember this one time I wore extensions that were longer than her hair (which was about BSL at the time), she was jealous of my extensions, even after I told her it was FAKE hair, it didn't matter, the fact that it was longer than her REAL hair just made her unhappy