Why do Black Women want long hair???

msmerc

I am black and have always had long hair. My entire family has long hair from my grandmother to my granddaughter. This forum helps women care for their hair whether long, short, natural, or relaxed.

Isis

Valerie said:
One of the reasons why I like this board so much, because we are a support network and it does not matter, if you have your hair premed, relaxed, texturised or natural, we all what to achieve the same things. :thumbsup:

As we all want to grow our hair long, we can really have fun on this board and we can breathe out and ask questions and this board gives us a lot of information. If it was not for this board, I would not have ever known about Surge 14, Nature's Plus thick shake, Mane n tail, MSM or the baggie method. I would not have met so many nice ladies, viewed their albums. Even though I would not chemically treat to change my curl pattern, I still appreciate all the lovely ladies on this board who have healthy hair, whether they are permed, relaxed or texturised.

As long as I can remember, I have always wanted long hair. I never had it as a child. my mother and my daughter have long hair, but it never happened for me, it was always chin length, it was thick looking but never long. Now at the age of 43, my sides have passed the bottom of my chin to the middle of my neck, my middle hair is past the nape of my nape and touching my shoulder blades and my back hair is almost touching my collarbone, after my inch trim. Even my father at the age of 78, notices how my hair is getting thick and how much it's grown. My teenage daughter says "Your hair mum has really grown". It is an achievement, without this board, I would have given up long ago and I like many others would have believe, I myself is not destined for long hair, because I don't have the "right genes", and I won't have to accept the fact and there is nothing you can do about it, but you can and I did and I am getting the results. I realise there is nothing wrong with my genes, they are fine, the problem I never knew how to look after my hair properly, my hair is naturally fine and it breaks very easily, especially when I was stressed, one month is would be chin length, the next month, it would be ear length again. Grease does not work for me, and also my hair needs daily moisturising, to retain length, I have 4b hair, according to Andre Walker, it never really grows very long, except in locs, or extensions, I don't put my hair in extensions and locs, it is very thick and has length, is really a Wow factor for me :bouncegre:. I don't use any special shampoo for "black women", it is the regular shampoo and conditioners from the supermarket or health shop. Twenty years ago, you would have never get me to wash my hair weekly or rinse daily. After reading Cathy Howse's book, plus knowledge, I have learned from other websites and of course here, has made a big big difference. I cannot believe, it is so simply. :yay:. All I can say is thank you. It is a great pity, that we as black people are still fighting among ourselves, people who want to live a decent life, have nice things, speak properly, growing our hair long etc, we are deemed as wanting to be "white". I honestly belive that people who make those statements, really need a lot of help, because they seem themselves as lesser beings and want to pass on their feelings of "self hated" to us, hence the words "sellout" is used. I love the fact that we are living in such an enlighted age of the internet and we are able to get so much knowledge. I suspect why there are some people who feel uncomfortable about us getting the knowledge of growing our hair longer and keeping it healthy. The power of making us feel we as black women can't grow our hair long and not beautiful as other races, those who have the monopoly of long hair would be over. We as black women, who also see 'the light'. Knowledge is power, there are some people who still feel that they must be control over the majority.
You made many excellent and important points Valerie! Yes, the Internet is a huge threat to many who have an agenda about anything, including those who want to keep power over black women's haircare. Many hair product companies and organizations have been doing that all along, keeping us in the dark. All that has changed now. I agree knowledge is power and we as black women are seeing the light! :)

Congratulations also on your hair progress!

Nenah

Everything that was said holds so much weight in my opinion as far as what the ladies are saying:) . I came to this site because I was looking how to make my hair healthy as well as grow longer. I have a nice length of hair so it's not a obsession for me it's just ~WHY NOT~ why is it ok for other races to grow there hair long and not for A.A. women. Your comment may not be to offend anyone but I think that you should have made it more general. I not only get information for my hair from this site but as well as gaining friends as well.

I hope that the rest of your stay is fruitfull in your quest for joining the board as well.

TigerLily

I don't think it took balls to say what the original poster said. Anyone can sit at a keyboard and do a 'hit and run'. It's not like anyone is going to come through the screen and get beat down! :lol:

Anyways, I want long hair 'cause I want it. And? :lachen:

Last edited:

MeechUK

MeechUK
Wanting longer hair is nothing to do with trying to be in alignment with white/western culture. Since slavery we as a race have had to endure the stereotyping of being a negative race, ie. white = postive and black = negative. There has always been a culture of black people not being able to grow our hair in long flowing locks. Sites like LHCF have completely negated this theory for myself.

Hair in any race has always been an issue, particularly in the black race because we stuck with the old staple of grease, with experimentation and looking to the hair care of other races we are discovering that we may have the driest of hair but it is just as versatile. By going back to nature and eliminating mineral oils and petroleum from our regimes, something other races have always done, we are experiencing phenomenal grow patterns.

Personally I would like healthy hair and if it grows longer I would be happy, but in this day and age with its modern stresses and problems, proper hair care and diet is the only way to achieve this. After all our hair as with other races is our Crown and Glory.

lthomas1

Hair Power!
I don't feel that any black women should have to justify why she want to do anything with her own body. I never hear any other groups get scrutinized like black women. What about when white women want to go to the tanning salon, or get their lips injected with collagen, are they trying to be black? I think hair growth is a natural human process. If one chooses to allow that natural process to run its course, that is their business. I hope Sutton understands that long hair can be achieved by all races. My hair is long and I never felt white in any way. It is time to stop the stereotype madness.

SouthernGirl

Great post Valerie!!

By the way, where is the person that started this thread? Is she still a registered member? I'm curious to know if her feelings have changed after all of this "enlightenment." :)

Alee

Former ScissorHappy Nappy
inthestars said:
You'd obviously be happier at nappturality.com, people here are not big on limiting themselves to narrow definitions in order to please or satisfy other people's ideals.

Girl I was thinking the same thing.

Boadicea

SouthernGirl said:
By the way, where is the person that started this thread? Is she still a registered member? I'm curious to know if her feelings have changed after all of this "enlightenment."
She hasn't made a post since Oct. 24th 2003. I doubt she still reads the forums. But if you are still here, prove me wrong SilentBob! :)

ccd

Bodecia...I love your bun girl!!!!!

So many great responses here...

BTW......I wanted to see how long my hair would grow....
My hair grew and I let it grow!...

S

Stylepink

Well, as usual, I am late to this thread!

Adrienne, well spoken - as always!

Last edited by a moderator:

JOI

katie said:
Just to correct you..I know of a board with white women trying to grow long hair.It is called longhairlovers I think.
This Black woman wants long hair simply because I have never had it before and I find it looks very feminine and pretty.

Thank you lol White women want long hair too lol

cybra

OT: Bodecia your hair is gorgeous in your avatar...stunning! :)

Okay, my 2cents on the topic of discussion. The bible says a woman's hair is her glory. Also, the extant research suggests that there is a strong correlations between a woman (across ethnicities) having long hair and feeling feminine. As for myself, I love my hair long or short as long as it's healthy. I think having healthy hair is what's advocated most on this forum, no matter the length.

Also, as many have said, I think it's a very limited, narrow view to equate wanting long hair to wanting to be "white." In all truth, Asian hair has been found to be the longest and strongest of all hair types, because of how it grows from the papilla. Furthermore, most of the hair products on the market today are created to help white women improve their hair. Most white women face the same or very similar problems with their hair as AA women. They experience thinning, dryness, breakage, and all the rest. Hair is hair, it's length and texture is no reflection on anyone except the wearer.

Okay, with that said I guess I'll read something else. Happy chatting to you all.

beyondcute

I had it and I want it back. Question answered. As far as wanting to be link another culture. Trust me white people are not the only ones with long hair. Also who todl you that black women were the only ones in pursuit of long hair? Thats highly ncorrect. Look it up on ht web. There are far too many sites on here and only a few associted with black women. Also Notice that this is a Hiar Care forum and not necessarily a hair length forum. What good is long hair if it isnt healthy and if your hair is breaking off and short and scraggly and uneven is it healthy? No. In order for hair to be healthy it will not break off and become uneven, therefore growing and getting long (unless its cut)

aileenadq

Sutton,

First, welcome to LHCF. You will find that there is a wealth of infomation here, and the ladies here are very educated about hair care.

The only other thing I wanted to point out is that this is a site for women of color, not just for black women. You said that you don't see Hispanic women (paraphrasing here) seeking to grow their hair long. You'll find that there are Hispanic and women of other or mixed races on this board, all with various types of curly hair that they are looking to grow.

As for why I want long hair: I want to be able to wash and go without my hair shrinking up to my ears, and I think I have more versatility with long hair. I used to have really long hair when I was little.

Happpy Hair Growing!

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Thanks for the link, she definately has some gorgeous LONG hair, it's past APL still in it's curlly state, so I can only imagine what it will look like straight/stretched. I'm very :confused: now also, I know it's post like this that annoy me, the OP starts a topic and never shows up again, lol, I actually found this site by accident, but I enjoy the info given here, and seeing pple accomplish there goals. Not only that but I see my length coming in quicker than ever b4. :D Oh yeah, I want healthy hair along w/the length because for me it's just me, lol, I just like it. I went through the cuts and short styles period and now I'm ready to have my hair back to the length I know I can achieve and beyond..........
Eiano said:
Sutton is long gone from this hair board, but OT, here is her hair album
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sutton989/album?.dir=e09e&.src=ph

I don't really get her.. :confused:

trinidarkie1

Late late late as usual *tsk*

I always had long hair, from a child to my late teens, until I started taking care of my own hair, since I thought my mom wasnt hip enough.
needless to say, with an improper diet and certain changes in my body, I've been working at regrowing my hair for the last 2 year.

There's nothing wrong with wanting long healthy hair.

CantBeCopied said:
....:confused: wait....she HAS long hair talking all that smack? WTH?:confused: I'm glad she is long gone. We do not need the negative energy!

She probably didn't want all of these ladies to have long hair like her. Oh well. :lol:

MissYocairis

CandiceC said:
She probably didn't want all of these ladies to have long hair like her. Oh well. :lol:

Dang. You are laughing but you are telling the TRUTH! That's a good point. Why sisters don't want for their sisters what they want for themselves? I think you are telling the truth. I have a cousin like this. She grew her hair to brastrap using certain techniques while all her friends around her were getting Halle Berry cuts due to damage.....:ohwell: ......never said a WORD....

MizAvalon

CantBeCopied said:
Dang. You are laughing but you are telling the TRUTH! That's a good point. Why sisters don't want for their sisters what they want for themselves? I think you are telling the truth. I have a cousin like this. She grew her hair to brastrap using certain techniques while all her friends around her were getting Halle Berry cuts due to damage.....:ohwell: ......never said a WORD....

Did they ASK her for any advice or her regimen? This board is proof positive that some people only believe what they've been believing all their lives no matter how bad their hair looks. There are posts every single day about someone saying that a friend/family member told them that their hair would break off/fall out if they don't use the tried and true techniques that have kept black women's hair looking tore up for decades. :ohwell:

Maybe she didn't bother telling them because she knew they wouldn't take heed anyway?

This isn't directed at you CBC, but it just drives me crazy when people assume that long haired women are keeping some kind of magical hair growing secret because they don't want other women to look like them or something.:perplexed

Last edited:

BerrySweet

MizAvalon said:
Did they ASK her for any advice or her regimen? This board is proof positive that some people only believe what they've been believing all their lives no matter how bad their hair looks. There are posts every single day about someone saying that a friend/family member told them that their hair would break off/fall out if they don't use the tried and true techniques that have kept black women's hair looking tore up for decades. :ohwell:

Maybe she didn't bother telling them because she knew they wouldn't take heed anyway?

This isn't directed at you CBC, but it just drives me crazy when people assume that long haired women are keeping some kind of magical hair growing secret because they don't want other women to look like them or something.:perplexed

In the days when I used to have short broken off hair, I'd meet AA women who had long healthy hair. When I'd inquire about what they did to it, they became secretive, or said it was genetics, or something special their Grandma makes for them. Plenty of women want to keep their methods of hair growing from other women for many reasons. I, not do I think anyone else who asks, is looking for the one special magic product that will grow long @$$ length horse hair in two days. They just want a push in the right direction. As for the OP, who knows.

shiningstar84

BerrySweet said:
In the days when I used to have short broken off hair, I'd meet AA women who had long healthy hair. When I'd inquire about what they did to it, they became secretive, or said it was genetics, or something special their Grandma makes for them. Plenty of women want to keep their methods of hair growing from other women for many reasons. I, not do I think anyone else who asks, is looking for the one special magic product that will grow long @$$ length horse hair in two days. They just want a push in the right direction. As for the OP, who knows.

That is sooo true. I just stopped asking black women with long hair what they did, cause they all just gave me BS.
Girl 1 I watched go from shoulder to bra strap: oh i dont clean my brushes so the dirt helps my hair grow:ohwell:
Girl 2 I also watched go from shoulder to bra strap: oh i just wash n condition with cream of nature, roller wrap it and thats it. --well hers was a little more believable and true
Girl 3: oh my auntie does my hair 4 me--now she know her auntie is doing something special but at that point i was like forget it, i'm not about to badger nobody

Crystalicequeen123

sutton989 said:
I really want to get this out because since i'v been coming to this site for about 3 week this subject has been bothering me. Now before I state how I feel, let me just say that I love this site. It

Last edited:

Crystalicequeen123

sutton989 said:
I really want to get this out because since i'v been coming to this site for about 3 week this subject has been bothering me. Now before I state how I feel, let me just say that I love this site. It’s good to see so many black women have a bond on one board. My problem is what is the obsession with black women and long hair?? When I first started coming to this site it made me think a lot about why I was coming here. You never see White, Hispanic, or Asian women making a website about having long hair. It kind of made me feel like I was a sell out. Because long hair has long been associated with whiteness. Why can't we be happy with healthy hair? Why does it have to be long?? It kind of bugs me when I see all these post about outrageous combination and different vitamins to take on how to get long hair. It just feels like some kind unconscious self hatred. I don't know if I clearly expressed how i feel. Does anyone else feel this way?
p.s.
this post by no means was meant to offend anyone. I just wanted to voice my feelings.

HAHAHA!!! :lachen: Actually...they DO have websites about long hair! If you want I could show you some. I think I even posted a "white" hair forum website on this board about a few months ago, and they act JUST LIKE US on this board! It was so funny to see how so many things were similar!

BTW....Having long hair is NOT "selling out"!! Wash that thought from your hair immediately! God made it so we could ALL have long hair (no matter what race), but it's just that we've been conditioned to care for our hair in damaging ways. Now that we're more educated and informed, we can now enjoy healthy (and long!) , beautiful hair! Isn't that great! :D

MissYocairis

MizAvalon said:
Did they ASK her for any advice or her regimen? .:perplexed

I don't know for sure. Good question. However, I guess if you see your friend's hair is ate-up in the back and she is going for a touchup every 3 weeks what would you say? Anything at all? Or Nothing?