Why do stylist insist they need to cut your hair!

treybaby2005

I have been going to a dominican salon in philly every week.My regimen right now is weird but it works for me.I get my roots blown out basically for three days.I wear it out for work and then I protective style for the remainder of the week cowashing everyday.When I first started going,it was after having sew-in's consistantly for about a year.I waited about three weeks after doing a protein treatment to relax my hair.My ends weren't the greatest but when I went to the dominicans a week after relaxing my hair,the stylist looked at my ends and said they were fine and they looked good.I was happy!Well she asked me when she was done my hair,when was the last time I got a trim,I said about a year since I had sewins.So she says that the next time I come she would cut them.Ok now why did I say ok?So the next week I let her cut me.My SO was even like why the $#%* did you get your hair cut when I'm the one always saying you don't need to trim your ends so much and I knew that was one of the reasons I wasn't retaining length.So I was upset for a while and determined to grow my hair back plus more.Plus I figured it was a fresh start.This was about a month ago.fast forward to today.I am six weeks post and I want to go to ten.I get in the salon and the same lady see's all my growth and you know what she says,you need your ends trimed to help your hair grow faster.I was looking at her like:perplexed:nono:I was so pissed!I just don't understand peoples rational with trimming every chance they get in your hair.I mean I am in need of a perm and it has only been about four weeks that she gave me the trim I didn't need in the first place!That's my vent for the day.sorry so long.:yawn:

Last edited:

runwaydream

aww. im sorry. idk WHY they always insist on cutting your hair. and i dont kno why a lot of ppl let them. i've done this too sometimes. when they ask i say no. but sometimes after you've gone to them for awhile and they kno you they feel like they can just cut without asking. and thats when i have the most trouble saying something. thats not going to happen anymore tho. ive been trying so hard to grow my hair out and its almost at my goal.

but as for why they always want to cut your hair? idk.. maybe it's fun. it LOOKS like fun...when its not your hair.

All_Me

Girl! I understand completely. I had a horrible dream that my stylist cut my hair!:wallbash: Tripped up part is I go in for a perm after a 10 week stretch and I know she is going to want to trim. But HELL no! I will dust it myself!

AsTheCurlzTurns

Sorry to hear what you went through, but in answer to your question, I'd like to think it's because it's MO MONEY in their pockets!:perplexed

It's like they're under the mentality that EVERY person who walks in their door needs a TRIM stat (my thinking again, MO MONEY!):rolleyes:

Then you got those who supposedly licensed and don't know the freakin difference between a trim and a cut!!:wallbash: But does it anyways!

My heart goes out to everyone who gets them done, only for the stylist to jack them up! :(

Some people think - well if she had long hair then she probably wouldn't come to me. And the more haircuts - the more money, period. Hair stylists do not care if you want long hair - they want you to continue to come to them to cut and style your hair - that's the business.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Girl, I feel you. At my last TU I knew that my ends were pretty good, and told her, "Only cut a millimeter." As she's overcutting, she's saying, "Your ends aren't bad at all." I'm thinking well WTF are you cutting for? But I'm more pissed at myself. It is my hair and I pay her. Annnnyway, I think they get some kind of rush. When Oprah cut Hillary Swank's hair she talked about feeling powerful and a hair stylist on the show confirmed that feeling. Also they think that even hair looks better so they chop you to make themselves look better as stylists to the other people in the salon. Plus I think they are lazy. A lot of stylists don't like doing long hair so they keep you from getting longer. Only we can stop them!

...can you tell I've been thinking about this a lot?

Eta: I also think it's force of habit. Also sometimes they mess up and cut more than they planned in one spot and then they have to even out the mess up...overtrim!

Last edited:

locabouthair

im surprised. the dominicans I went to never told you anything about your hair except for "mami you need a perm":rolleyes:

if I got a trim from them, I would have to ask for it.
I know its frustrating to keep having your hair cut, but at leats they actually care:ohwell:

growth2come

I think some of them do the trim cos they think that with each style they are doing they feel the need to even up the ends even though they are not split or damaged so once that starts you can stop them when they have a scissors in their hands. I think you shouldnt let anyone you dont trust trim your hair unless you are certain they will cut how much you told them to cut and watch them like a hawk while they do it!

aja1121

As a former stylist..........most stylist overtrim because they mess up or because they start the trim at the nape of the neck. The nape is a problem area for a lot of women and if the trim is started there and then everything else is matched, your trim, just turned into a cut.

If you notice your stylist sectioning off at the nape to start you trim, make sure you let him/her know that you are growing that part out and to start his/her guide in the next section or wherever your hair is the longest.

Your salon experience should be a collaboration, never hold your tongue, it is your money!