Why do you want long hair?

Enyo

I'm a believer in wearing my hair out (when its been treated well and my ends aren't rough, etc). I don't see the point in reaching your hair goal whatever short or long that may be and only PS'ing your hair. Sure I'll PS to REACH my hair goals then Imma go buck wild and wear it out ERRRRRDAY. At that point, since I'm at my goal, I just have to maintain the length. That way if I get split ends from it rubbing again my back/whatever then I can just dust and still have the same length. I like having long hair because it is easier to style and there's more variety of styles.

While I understand your desire, I feel the need to say that it seems pointless to PS our way to our goal and then abandon the method that helped grow it out in the first place. It's like someone who goes on a diet, slims down, and then celebrates by eating anything they want. I'm not saying that everyone has to be like me (I rarely allow people to see how much hair I actually have), but it's pretty obvious that PSing IS a way of maintaining length. Keeping as a part of your haircare routine seems like the smarter approach, even if it's just one or two days a week.

I can't speak for the ladies here, but all my friends in "real life" with long/longish healthy hair wear it up once in a while or give their hair a break by wearing a well-placed weave or wig. My best friend who had hip length, healthy, silky, naturally straight hair wore a bun at least once a week.

Also, a lot of us are growing our hair for us an no one else. There are Muslim ladies on here who wear hijab every day in public. I think at one point there was an Orthodox Jewish woman who also covered. Knowing my hair is getting quite long is a personal pleasure that I do not always care to share with strangers. When I do wear it out, it's because I'm doing something that I want to look as beautiful as possible for - often a fancy dinner with family, the theatre, or an opera. People know it's a really special occasion or that they are really special people when they see all of my hair out and folks have commented that they feel special to have seen how long/big it is. I love that. :yep:

bhndbrwneyes

I agree once or twice is fine and sometimes I just want it out of my face. But some women on here PS everyyyyy day and their hair is WL or past and then they go to some fancy-smancy event (like their own wedding) and they still just wear it in a PS. Show it off! Maybe it's me personally because even when I wear my hair out a lot I still seem to retain my length, and that's just it...I retain it. It's not getting longer it's not getting shorter. Never any set backs from not PS'ing enough. But if the length is fine with me then I want to wear it out. Some women's hair may not be like that and if they don't PS the majority of the time they will experience major breakage=length loss.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I agree once or twice is fine and sometimes I just want it out of my face. But some women on here PS everyyyyy day and their hair is WL or past and then they go to some fancy-smancy event (like their own wedding) and they still just wear it in a PS. Show it off! Maybe it's me personally because even when I wear my hair out a lot I still seem to retain my length, and that's just it...I retain it. It's not getting longer it's not getting shorter. Never any set backs from not PS'ing enough. But if the length is fine with me then I want to wear it out. Some women's hair may not be like that and if they don't PS the majority of the time they will experience major breakage=length loss.

Who u talmbout Willis?! hehe You are so def talmbout me!!!!! BOL!!!! Personally being WL is great but ain't nobody got time for errrrday maintenance so wigs are my go-too thang. LOL Ok I went overboard w/ my slang. Blame it on this 3rd red bull. ;)

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
When my I get to my goal I will probably wear it out just a little more than I do now. I ps every day now...maybe i'll let it free half the week when I reach my goal. But for now I'm going hard. :yep:

Sent from my SGH-T959 using LHCF

Bozcurls

I didn't really think about desiring long hair until recently. Before it didn't matter to me. My freshman year of college I took off about 7-8 inches for a bob cut. It was super cute too. I just couldn't be assed to get my hair cut twice a month to keep it neat looking. (Now I have a long styled, curly bob; you can't tell when its flat ironed.)

But now, my desire for long hair is to have a huge, curly crown of big hair. It's getting there. In a few more years I hope to have MBL of my natural hair. At that point I can't imagine how long it would be flat ironed!

LucSra

Ha, I figured if I can't be pretty, at least my hair can be. (':

I'm just curious to know how I would look with long hair.

Enyo

Personally being WL is great but ain't nobody got time for errrrday maintenance so wigs are my go-too thang.

:lol: Yeah, my wash and go's were much easier and more attractive when my hair was shorter. Now it just looks out of control if I just leave it alone after I shower. When I want to "WnG", I have to take 45 minutes to condition, put in product, and diffuse because otherwise my hair will drip for at least an hour after leaving the house. I feel like I can't just let my hair out anymore. It has to be actually styled, otherwise I feel unkempt. I probably would feel different if I had a relaxer or pressed my hair.

Babysaffy

To hide my back fat :spinning:

Seriously, to prove to myself and some ignorant folk that it can be done.

To enjoy it and be able to just let it be and know it will look good down or in a ponytail.

To feel more feminine. ETA(& look better nekkid)

To satisfy my inner child who used to put a pillow case on my head and pretend it was mbl hair :lachen: :rose:

Last edited:

Enyo

PinkPeony Mine is pretty simple. Wash once a week w/ sulfate-free shampoo, DC with GPB or Argan Mask and finger detangle, use Silk Elements Leave In, seal with WGO, bun with hair stick (no ties!). I started using a sulfur mix on my edges recently to make them thicker.

lustrous

Ha, I figured if I can't be pretty, at least my hair can be. (':

I'm just curious to know how I would look with long hair.

"Pretty is something you're born with but Beautiful, that is an equal opportunity adjective"

I don't know who wrote that but truer words were never spoken. have you ever seen a beautiful/attractive girl, only to look really closely and realize that her features weren't "pretty"? I notice this all the time. it's made me realize that you can be beautiful without being pretty. So go for it. you hair will just be an addition. also, This isn't meant to be some cheesy pump up response. "aint nobody got time feh dat :lol:" I live by this and believe it to be truth.

To answer OP's question I'm growing long hair so that I can have it. period. When I see things that I want, I do my research then I work for them.

Hyacinthe

Since I was a little girl,I've always wanted long hair.

After my bath as a kid I used to tie my towel on my head put a scrunchie to hold it in one and pretend it was my own hair LOL

sent from IPad using LHCF app. POW!

DirectorChic

I want long hair, because it is simply what I want. I have never had a problem growing hair and usually the envy among my peers.

But I love how my hair feels long and the bun rolls I put it up in. I prefer it.

RoundEyedGirl504

Easier for me to style. I always get sidetracked by a beautiful short cut and then I am pissed at myself b/c I know I ain't bout that upkeep! When my hair was long I roller set, flat iron the roots and was good for a week. Short hair, requires a bit more work daily to make it look good.

AmyRose92

Several reasons actually:

• I don't have to blow dry my hair to stretch it out before styling it
  • I can be more liberal with my style choices since my layers are so extreme, twist outs and braid outs and curly sets in general look very weird on me
  • I want to prove to all of the little black girls that I encounter that they can also have long hair if they just take care of it
  • I want to prove to my mom that I was right to take care of my hair
  • I want to dispel the misconceptions that people have about Afro-American hair in general, especially since my hair type is coarse, kinky, and has low/no sheen.