Why does her hair grow so fast?

nijilah

Ok, I just want to say that I am not a 'hater,' but I just can't believe this!

I started an internship September 2nd. An Chinese girl sits behind me. I talk to her all the time and she is very nice. Anyway, September 2nd, I am 1 inch away from bra strap. September 2nd, she has shoulder length hair.

Now, as of December 19th, I was bra strap but had to give myself a 1 inch trim because everytime that I get to bra strap, I have a head full of split ends. December 19th, she has healthy thick bra strap hair.

Now, I am not a hater, but why?

Since I have been paying attention to my hair the past 3 years, I have gone from relaxed shoulder length hair to natural hair that reaches bra strap when stretched. But I always have to trim an inch at bra strap because the ends are so bad and then it takes several months for that inch to grow back. I don't want to complain although I am frustrated, but I think that bra strap is my natural maximum length so I should just focus on the health of my hair and forget the growth thing. It just makes me so mad because I had such long hair up until high school and I have spend $$$$$s on products and I have been stuck.

dorothy

could you please do me a favor and ask that asian girl what she eats. also, please keep in mind that you are putting damaging chemicals in your hair while this girl's hair is in it's natural state (i am assuming this because most asian girls don't have any chemicals in their hair) . well actually some of them dye their hair but a majority of them have nice, shiny, thick black hair! i always ask asian girls what they eat. I believe it has more to do with what you put inside your body than what you put outside! so far i notice that a lot of them eat rice, fish, and dried seaweed.

Chipmunk

This reminds of this girl Sheryl that went to my high school. She was Filipino. In the beginning of the school year she had cut her hair to her shoulders by the end of the school year her hair was to her waist. I told my mom about that she said it's probably b/c she eats a lot of fish.

I've started to eat a lot of fish lately myself, I haven't noticed a big change in hair growth. Lots of salmon, tuna, and mackerel

Chipmunk

[ QUOTE ]
CICI24 said:
They must be really short!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, no she wasn't that short. I am short (5'2) and she was taller than me by a few inches.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I think most Asians grow hair faster than almost any other people, because their hair is very thick (each strand) and it's mostly straight and therefore not as dry as curly hair.
Some of it may be genetic, too. Don't give up though! You'll get there.

Valerie

Asian people tend to see a lot of seaweed, fish, vegetables and poutry, plus they tend to have thick strong hair. Anyway, don't give up, eat plenty of fish, vegetables and keep your hair moisturised and your hair will grow very fast and strong.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
dorothy said:
could you please do me a favor and ask that asian girl what she eats. also, please keep in mind that you are putting damaging chemicals in your hair while this girl's hair is in it's natural state (i am assuming this because most asian girls don't have any chemicals in their hair) . well actually some of them dye their hair but a majority of them have nice, shiny, thick black hair! i always ask asian girls what they eat. I believe it has more to do with what you put inside your body than what you put outside! so far i notice that a lot of them eat rice, fish, and dried seaweed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nijilah now has natural hair so it's not on account of chemicals.
I think she may have just hit her growth wall; I believe everyone has one. I recommend you concentrate mainly on the health of your hair and then it'll be back at bra strap before you know it and hopefully with not as many splits.

pookeylou

I think so many things factor in on why someones hair grows longer and faster than someone elses...

It's fun to me to try and find the right combination...

But realistically...she could have long hair because:

She is genetically predisposed to having long hair...
She does not chemically process it...
She does not have a sunroof on her car (meaning sun damage dries the hair and causes it to break off prematurly)
She exercises alot...
She eats a lot of protein...
She drinks a lot of water...
She does not use heat on her hair...
She does not manipulate her hair...
She has less stress than you...

Any thing...could play in why someones hair seems to be doing better...our environment...our treatment of our hair..our genetics...

That's why even though we can give each other advice on what works on our hair specifically...but each of us...even if it looks like we have the same type...have to find out what works for us....individually.

It sounds like you have a wonderufl amount of length though...so you must have some good habits if you're keeping it.

Chimma

I know several asian girls whose hair grows very quickly. They cut it at shoulder length and within a few months it is down to bra-strap again. I live in cali too so they get sun damage, and these girls use curling irons on their hair and don't eat especially healthy. They also never wear protective styles.

Asian hair has the genetics to grow very straight (you always see the maximum length whereas our hair looks like it grows slower because there is always some shrinkage) and very strong so that it is very hard to break. I have seen several asian girls with naturally thin hair (asian hair is less dense than african and caucasian hair), but I have yet to see an asian girl with a head full of split ends like I have seen white and black girls have. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but it is rare I think.

L'oreal had some researchers do work on hair and they find a lot of differences between "african", "caucasian", and "asian" hair. Breaking under a strain of 60 grams after an elongation of 40%, African hair seems to be the most fragile. At the other end of the scale, Asian hair is the strongest, withstanding a weight of 100 grams and an elongation of 55%. For either of these features Caucasian hair occupies an intermediate position. Other studies support this. So, in general, African hair needs the most pampering, and Asian hair needs the least. http://www.keratin.com/aa/aa002.shtml

ChasingBliss

I wonder what the statement below meant about harsh plant oils...could that be something like garnier fructis products? not meaning to go off topic... just curious.

"African American hair responds differently than Caucasian hair and preferred grooming products contain humectants and mild cleansing agents while avoiding harsh plant oils or harsh detergents such as sodium lauryl sulfate."

Isis

This is all very interesting. I know an asian girl now and it's remarkable how fast her hair grows! I've watched her hair grow from week to week! It makes sense that their hair is stronger, I think that's why asian hair is used the most in wigs and weaves. And those who give up their hair to have it made into weaves just grow it right back in a few months!

CurlyMoo

Not only do genetics play a role but Knowledge is a key factor. The Asian culture is big on knowledge and that includes knowledge of self. It is apart of the Asian culture to be mindful of what they put in their bodies. Eating healthy and living healthy lives is paramount. Especially those that come from the motherlands. They eat the foods and use the products that will keep their bodies, hair skin and nails healthy. And some of those healthy foods and products contain strength and growth aids. And I don't think they believe in the trim every 6-8 weeks myth.

I use to work with a Japanese girl who only trimmed her hair once a year because she refused to let an American stylist touch her hair. She said they don't know how to cut her hair properly. So whenever she went back to Japan, which was once a year she would get a hair cut. She said in Japan they cut it a certain way that she likes and it keeps her hair healthy.

luckiestdestiny

Here's the million dollar question, besides their hair being strong or supposedly stronger, how is there hair growing faster than what everyone says is possible (or most people) ? I think it's not. I don't think it can easily be dismissed as them just being asian. I think it's growing at an optimal rate. (sure genetics could explain it, but people could've said that about us (genetically we don't have the capacity) having long hair just by looking at the population, and that assesment is wrong, just looking at the women on lhcf. That's why I don't underestimate how fast hair can grow. This just inspires me more!
It shows that with the right foods, we can have hair grow at optimal rate. I think the "average" is limiting, as we've been eating more processed foods and thus limiting our growth rate. I suspect the "average" growth rate is much more than predicted. I know mine is kicked up a notch with my eating habits, and I'm hoping even more now that I'm on to certain super foods.

LadyPaniolo

Hmm... this is an interesting topic.

I hate fish, so that's unlikely to help me, unless I want to be miserable. Can some company dehydrate fish and sell it in powder form, please???? But then I'd get the fish burps like I did with fish oil pills. Sigh.

luckiestdestiny

Hmm... this is an interesting topic.

I hate fish, so that's unlikely to help me, unless I want to be miserable. Can some company dehydrate fish and sell it in powder form, please???? But then I'd get the fish burps like I did with fish oil pills. Sigh.
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I can only imagine drinking dehydrated fish powder!

I'll just suck it up and eat it.:yep:

jerseyjill

Last Spring I ate sushi rolls every day. When I did my Summer perm ( was braidd and wigging for about 6 months) I had great growth and minimal breakage. I ate spicy tuna rolls and Philadelphia roll (salmon, cream cheese & avocado). Note - the rolls are wrapped in seaweed with rice on the outside. So I had my fish, seaweed and avocado daily. I'm going to the Sushi spot right now!!

vlucious

you know, i eat a ton of sushi, i do. i eat sushi almost everyday, and i can say i have gotten a lot of growth. hmmm. makes you think.

edit. and not just rolls, i eat mostly sashimi. everything has to be raw or have some raw fish on it.

Casarela

I like sushi but dayum vlucious, I cant be eating sushi everyday man , Id be stuck on the toilet all day. Everytime I eat that its like it pours everything out of my body. :(

supermodelsonya

Asian people tend to see a lot of seaweed, fish, vegetables and poutry, plus they tend to have thick strong hair. Anyway, don't give up, eat plenty of fish, vegetables and keep your hair moisturised and your hair will grow very fast and strong.

I need some seaweed!

Carrie A

Last Spring I ate sushi rolls every day. When I did my Summer perm ( was braidd and wigging for about 6 months) I had great growth and minimal breakage. I ate spicy tuna rolls and Philadelphia roll (salmon, cream cheese & avocado). Note - the rolls are wrapped in seaweed with rice on the outside. So I had my fish, seaweed and avocado daily. I'm going to the Sushi spot right now!!

Uh ohhh. Do I smell a sushi challenge? :grin:

mariofmagdal

I am sticking with the fish oils! Mine have a nice lemon flavor and are formulated to skip the burps. Nordic Naturals complete Omega 3-6-9.