Why does her hair grow so fast?

HeyItsHoney

I am convinced its the amount of high quality protien Asians tend to eat, and genetics that give them beautiful hair. Maybe they have a longer resting phase vs other races.

brittle_hair

I think what Oriental people eat has a lot to do with it, but Indian people also have a very fast rate of growth and they don't eat that much fish..

So it also has to do with genetics. Loreal's ethnic hair and skin care research department did research and found that:
- asian hair grows at 1.3 mm a month,
- european hair grows at 1.2mm a month
- and african/black people's hair grows at 0.9mm a month

so when you add the slower growth factor to the relaxer damage, and fact that we have weaker hair, we pretty much end up at around 0.5mm/mnth if it's not being taken care of properly.

CurlyMoo

I would say the greens in her diet have plenty to do with her fast hair growth.

Well it's not the fish per say. It's the Omega-3 Fatty acids which you could just as well get in fish oil tablets. I think it's a myth that Asian women grow hair faster. Just look at the products that the East Indian women use on their hair, Henna, Ayurveda, etc. Which You can't compare women who have a history of anemia (proven lack of iron in diet slows growth and hair health) not eating healthy and using bad hair care products and practices with women whom have for centures used NATURAL products that are essentially growth and hair strengthing aids. My opinion is DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE! I think once we find the hair care practices that are to our benefit it would change the way many view our ability to grow healthy, strong, and long hair at more than average rates.

I would like to get some examples from women here who are using these products and how they compare their hair health and growth to when they weren't using them and also compare them to the Asian ladies.

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

Asian people tend to see a lot of seaweed, fish, vegetables and poutry, plus they tend to have thick strong hair. Anyway, don't give up, eat plenty of fish, vegetables and keep your hair moisturised and your hair will grow very fast and strong.

This is apart of their everyday diet that has been passed down for centuries and it benefits them greatly. Not just the hair but they tend to live longer and look very young far longer than their counterparts. Don't forget that exercise is a great part of their daily routines.

ShaniKeys

I think what Oriental people eat has a lot to do with it, but Indian people also have a very fast rate of growth and they don't eat that much fish..

So it also has to do with genetics. Loreal's ethnic hair and skin care research department did research and found that:

so when you add the slower growth factor to the relaxer damage, and fact that we have weaker hair, we pretty much end up at around 0.5mm/mnth if it's not being taken care of properly.

Yeah, it's been scientifically proven. I started a thread about it: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=120748&page=12&highlight=

I'm personally still not very convinced...mostly b/c of the ladies here on LHCF.

Last edited:

Rei

i know lhcf ladies don't like to hear the 'genetics' excuse, but seriously when it comes to asians, its just genetics. the protein and non-processed foods helps but a good lot of my friends are asian and they just cycle through shoulderlength to waistlength in the time it gets me or any other AA I know (even girls I know who eat healthy and work out), to get from NL to APL. not to mention that their hair is straighter so its less work when it is shorter compared to ours (not counting a twa, but honestly how long does it stay in that phase xD)

MagnoliaBelle

Here's the million dollar question, besides their hair being strong or supposedly stronger, how is there hair growing faster than what everyone says is possible (or most people) ? I think it's not. I don't think it can easily be dismissed as them just being asian. I think it's growing at an optimal rate. (sure genetics could explain it, but people could've said that about us (genetically we don't have the capacity) having long hair just by looking at the population, and that assesment is wrong, just looking at the women on lhcf. That's why I don't underestimate how fast hair can grow. This just inspires me more!
It shows that with the right foods, we can have hair grow at optimal rate. I think the "average" is limiting, as we've been eating more processed foods and thus limiting our growth rate. I suspect the "average" growth rate is much more than predicted. I know mine is kicked up a notch with my eating habits, and I'm hoping even more now that I'm on to certain super foods.
What kinds of foods do you eat where you have noticed a faster hair growth rate? Thanks for sharing.

BostonMaria

Well it could also be:

1. The lack of manipulation
2. The fact that straight hair is easier to see length whereas us curly girls have to use a flatiron. If you saw my curls you'd think my hair was short as heck, but when I pull out my Chi its BSL.
3. Maybe the OP wasn't protecting her hair like she's supposed to. I don't know because that was 6 years ago. Is she still a member here?

I know that genetics do play a role to a certain extent. I think we can all still have long hair if we really want to.

Sammie7

Are you sure they said "millimeter"? Cause for a month's growth that is extremely tiny.

luckiestdestiny

Yeah, it's been scientifically proven. I started a thread about it: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=120748&page=12&highlight=

I'm personally still not very convinced...mostly b/c of the ladies here on LHCF.

YES but why? Genetics aren't the only factor here. Even if their hair grows faster, the question is WHY?

Fore example asian and french people are smaller than Americans, but their diet is also different: (fish for Asian, smaller portions for french despite heavy foods they are organic and whole foods). So we can also do the same with hair. They did the study that shows what we're talking about now which is that their hair seems to grow faster, but if their diet changed, would their hair rate change? It is quiet possible.

And as for someone talking about indian diet not including fish, theirs does so, they have lots of veggies and also they have spices which have been shown to be great for circulation hence speeding up...hair growth. So to say that it's genetic only is just not cutting it with me either.

CurlyMoo

YES but why? Genetics aren't the only factor here. Even if their hair grows faster, the question is WHY?

Fore example asian and french people are smaller than Americans, but their diet is also different: (fish for Asian, smaller portions for french despite heavy foods they are organic and whole foods). So we can also do the same with hair. They did the study that shows what we're talking about now which is that their hair seems to grow faster, but if their diet changed, would their hair rate change? It is quiet possible.

And as for someone talking about indian diet not including fish, theirs does so, they have lots of veggies and also they have spices which have been shown to be great for circulation hence speeding up...hair growth. So to say that it's genetic only is just not cutting it with me either.

Absolutely agree, if it's common practice for a culture to eat and use hair growth aids then why are we comparing them to a culture that doesn't. Makes no sense.

luckiestdestiny

What kinds of foods do you eat where you have noticed a faster hair growth rate? Thanks for sharing.
Oddly...fish and I eat organic now. I eat 80 percent veggies (and whole grains) and the 20 percent is meat with most being fish (scallops, fish, etc), and sometimes chicken. I also drink green drinks, and drink nettle tea once a day and I have at least 1 Inch a month or more. Nettle tea tastes like black tea so it isn't hard to drink. It took a while to notice the benefits as it had to get in my system but once it did, it REALLY did. On slow months (when I haven't eaten as well, but still doing most stuff) I've received 3/4 which is still not that bad. I do a nettle rinse with every wash too. Now I just started adding chlorella into my diet so we'll see about that. I was reading that it's apart of japanese diets as they're starting to add it to their sushi and stuff. I just started chlorella four days ago but my nails are already growing super fast (I cut them completely off and now they're over 1/4 inch. they went to 1/4 inch after 2 DAYS and I could not believe it if I didn't see it myself). Chlorella seems to act super fast for some reason, but I can't speak about that just yet as I just started it.

CurlyMoo

Well it could also be:

1. The lack of manipulation
2. The fact that straight hair is easier to see length whereas us curly girls have to use a flatiron. If you saw my curls you'd think my hair was short as heck, but when I pull out my Chi its BSL.
3. Maybe the OP wasn't protecting her hair like she's supposed to. I don't know because that was 6 years ago. Is she still a member here?

I know that genetics do play a role to a certain extent. I think we can all still have long hair if we really want to.

As ridiculous as this sounds I think when other races measure and write articles and studies about OUR hair they don't take the shrinkage factor into account. Because it's rarely mention in these so called studies. But I also agree that low manipulation is a factor.

luckiestdestiny

As ridiculous as this sounds I think when other races measure and write articles and studies about OUR hair they don't take the shrinkage factor into account. Because it's rarely mention in these so called studies. But I also agree that low manipulation is a factor.

You know that's a good point. I wonder....

CurlyMoo

Oddly...fish and I eat organic now. I eat 80 percent veggies (and whole grains) and the 20 percent is meat with most being fish (scallops, fish, etc), and sometimes chicken. I also drink green drinks, and drink nettle tea once a day and I have at least 1 Inch a month or more. Nettle tea tastes like black tea so it isn't hard to drink. It took a while to notice the benefits as it had to get in my system but once it did, it REALLY did. On slow months (when I haven't eaten as well, but still doing most stuff) I've received 3/4 which is still not that bad. I do a nettle rinse with every wash too. Now I just started adding chlorella into my diet so we'll see about that. I was reading that it's apart of japanese diets as they're starting to add it to their sushi and stuff. I just started chlorella four days ago but my nails are already growing super fast (I cut them completely off and now they're over 1/4 inch. they went to 1/4 inch after 2 DAYS and I could not believe it if I didn't see it myself). Chlorella seems to act super fast for some reason, but I can't speak about that just yet as I just started it.

:look:Ummm, you and I need to PM. I love Black tea so I will try that nettle tea. I once had an male admirer who bought me nettle tablets for my allergies and I didn't know much about them. I have been wanting to eat 80-100% Organic for the longest.

Lexib

i know lhcf ladies don't like to hear the 'genetics' excuse, but seriously when it comes to asians, its just genetics. the protein and non-processed foods helps but a good lot of my friends are asian and they just cycle through shoulderlength to waistlength in the time it gets me or any other AA I know (even girls I know who eat healthy and work out), to get from NL to APL. not to mention that their hair is straighter so its less work when it is shorter compared to ours (not counting a twa, but honestly how long does it stay in that phase xD)

I completely agree. Why is it hard to accept that some people's hair grows faster than others? Just like w/n the community on this board, some women only experience 1/4 of an inch of normal growth per month while the rest of us get 1/2 an inch per month. It's not that big of a stretch to think that some people's hair grows at a rate of one solid inch per month or even more without the help of growth aids or any special diets.

Genetics, Genetics, Genetics! It's like trying to figure out why Asians as a majority have super silky hair or hair that is jet black and AAs as a majority don't. Women of all ethnicities can grow long hair, just not all at the same rate. :yep:

gymfreak336

I completely agree. Why is it hard to accept that some people's hair grows faster than others? Just like w/n the community on this board, some women only experience 1/4 of an inch of normal growth per month while the rest of us get 1/2 an inch per month. It's not that big of a stretch to think that some people's hair grows at a rate of one solid inch per month or even more without the help of growth aids or any special diets.

Genetics, Genetics, Genetics! It's like trying to figure out why Asians as a majority have super silky hair or hair that is jet black and AAs as a majority don't. Women of all ethnicities can grow long hair, just not all at the same rate. :yep:

:thatsall:

Nicely stated.

AtlantaJJ

Asian people tend to see a lot of seaweed, fish, vegetables and poutry, plus they tend to have thick strong hair. Anyway, don't give up, eat plenty of fish, vegetables and keep your hair moisturised and your hair will grow very fast and strong.
I'm eating some sardines tonight and some tuna tomorrow... I think there is something to eating fish... :yep:

ebonylocs

It's genes. And acknowledging it doesn't make us "less than".

Their hair can't fro like ours. That's genes too.

luckiestdestiny

:look:Ummm, you and I need to PM. I love Black tea so I will try that nettle tea. I once had an male admirer who bought me nettle tablets for my allergies and I didn't know much about them. I have been wanting to eat 80-100% Organic for the longest.
Pm away! Nettle is actually good for allergies too. It has a host of benefits. But my favorite of course is hair growth.

luckiestdestiny

Cute. I would accept it, but I know it isn't true. I've increase my growth rate by eating differently. I'm not a preacher, but I'm just going to put in my two cents and be done. I'm not saying that different ethnicities can't have differences that are genetic. But think of the whole argument of Nature vs. Nuture. Nature does not account for everything. So I think that there are people with slower hair growth, but I don't think it's as slow as we think. I think it's Nuture, it's what we're doing that's causing it to be that way. I think that a majority of us can grow our hair way faster than normally believed.

vlucious

sushi challenge? oh yes! i love sashimi! i usually get the ones with rice.

sushi pillows!

Solitude

Well it's not the fish per say. It's the Omega-3 Fatty acids which you could just as well get in fish oil tablets. I think it's a myth that Asian women grow hair faster. Just look at the products that the East Indian women use on their hair, Henna, Ayurveda, etc. Which You can't compare women who have a history of anemia (proven lack of iron in diet slows growth and hair health) not eating healthy and using bad hair care products and practices with women whom have for centures used NATURAL products that are essentially growth and hair strengthing aids. My opinion is DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE! I think once we find the hair care practices that are to our benefit it would change the way many view our ability to grow healthy, strong, and long hair at more than average rates.

I would like to get some examples from women here who are using these products and how they compare their hair health and growth to when they weren't using them and also compare them to the Asian ladies.

I'm sorry, but I believe the hype. I take care of my hair meticulously & my yt friend's hair has outpaced my growth by leaps & bounds in the last 6 months even though she shampoos & blow dries daily.

I went to school with lots of Asians and their hair grew to BSL & beyond several times within 1 school year. It wasn't healthy hair v. damaged hair or what products they used- their hair grew long whether they dyed it, flow-dried it, curly permed it, or wore it down every day.

Hispanic girls (I grew up in Texas) would cut it, curl it, mouse it, tease it, and freeze it and it would still be back to WL.

Honestly, it almost brings tears to my eyes because it's so unfair. We can go natural, stay relaxed, wear PS all day and night and eat a huge bowl of sushi daily, and avoid direct heat like the plague - it's not going to change genetics or fate or make our hair grow as quickly or as easily as theirs.

gymfreak336

I'm sorry, but I believe the hype. I take care of my hair meticulously & my yt friend's hair has outpaced my growth by leaps & bounds in the last 6 months even though she shampoos & blow dries daily.

I went to school with lots of Asians and their hair grew to BSL & beyond several times within 1 school year. It wasn't healthy hair v. damaged hair or what products they used- their hair grew long whether they dyed it, flow-dried it, curly permed it, or wore it down every day.

Hispanic girls (I grew up in Texas) would cut it, curl it, mouse it, tease it, and freeze it and it would still be back to WL.

Honestly, it almost brings tears to my eyes because it's so unfair. We can go natural, stay relaxed, wear PS all day and night and eat a huge bowl of sushi daily, and avoid direct heat like the plague - it's not going to change genetics or fate or make our hair grow as quickly or as easily as theirs.

I totally understand where you are coming from. Their genetics really do make a huge difference but with patience you can still get what you want. Take comfort in the fact that as you get older, they will look substantially older than you (on average).

spinspinshuga

I believe in the genetics argument as well. I have a very healthy lifestyle and my hair grows .25 inches a month, if I'm lucky.
Genes can vary within races too. My sister and I have the same parents, are both mixed race, but her hair (no exaggeration,) has grown almost four inches in the past two months. She has a very unhealthy lifestyle and doesn't have to protect her hair. Her hair has grown faster than mine since we were children, and it always will.
Quite simply, some people have what it takes to make hair grow fast, some people don't. I don't. I wish I did, but it's not the case, so I just focus on trying to retain length, nowadays. And taking hair vitamins like there's no tomorrow. I think you can MAXIMIZE your own hair potential, but some people's potentials are much higher than others, and I think it oftentimes has something to do with your genes.

Last edited:

Solitude

I totally understand where you are coming from. Their genetics really do make a huge difference but with patience you can still get what you want. Take comfort in the fact that as you get older, they will look substantially older than you (on average).

Thanks. I just get aggravated when it sounds like people are implying that it's mostly all about hair care, when that's simply not what I have experienced.

I hope that's true about the aging....:drunk:

I believe in the genetics argument as well. I have a very healthy lifestyle and my hair grows .5 inches a month, if I'm lucky.
Genes can vary within races too. My sister and I have the same parents, are both mixed race, but her hair (no exaggeration,) has grown almost four inches in the past two months. She has a very unhealthy lifestyle and doesn't have to protect her hair. Her hair has grown faster than mine since we were children, and it always will.
Quite simply, some people have what it takes to make hair grow fast, some people don't. I don't. I wish I did, but it's not the case, so I just focus on trying to retain length, nowadays. And taking hair vitamins like there's no tomorrow. I think you can MAXIMIZE your own hair potential, but some people's potentials are much higher than others, and I think it oftentimes has something to do with your genes.

It is amazing how two sisters can have such different hair & growth rates! My sister's hair and mine are like night & day.

My hair is medium-thick, but my strands are very fine. Her hair is super-thick and she can get it dyed or highlighted on top of a relaxer with no thinning or breakage, but my hair can't tolerate dye, highlights, or a strong relaxer. Her hair laughs at chemicals.

Junebug D

Genes can vary within races too.

YES, thank you for pointing this out. I don't believe in the "Oh she's Asian so her hair has to grow 2 inches per month" thing. I believe that the average rate is the same, across the board. Some have the potential to exceed that based on the genes they got from their parents, some will not get that much based on their genes. There are so many factors at play. Diet, environment, genes, overall health. I don't think race is the biggest factor.

luckiestdestiny

YES, thank you for pointing this out. I don't believe in the "Oh she's Asian so her hair has to grow 2 inches per month" thing. I believe that the average rate is the same, across the board. Some have the potential to exceed that based on the genes they got from their parents, some will not get that much based on their genes. There are so many factors at play. Diet, environment, genes, overall health. I don't think race is the biggest factor.
To bolden: You said it so much more eloquently than me. EXACTAMUNDO. This whole race thing is just not true.