Why does my hair frizz after flat ironing???=(

myxdchiick

WHY!!!!!!!
Another attempt is i trimmed after I flat ironed and it still frizzes!:wallbash:

I know it is my hair, because I have tried different flat irons and now I am convinced that is my hair...I dont put heat on it often ( once every 1-2 months.) Sure it looks sleek after the iron has been passed through it and then 15 minutes later it FRIZZES!!!!!:nono::wallbash:

After 1.5-2 hours of flat ironing I feel so blown...because I feel like I've just wasted time and energy.

What do I do?!!!!!!

Misshairdiva

I would like to know this as well!!! $80 yesterday for a flat iron and my mom was like what happend? Why is it so frizzy? I am a natural so I would like to know as well!!!

R4L

you need to describe the whole process you're using, with products, so people can give you advice. My gut tells me you need to apply an anti-frizz serum/heat protectant prior to straightening.

Misshairdiva

Here is my process:
Air dry
Use Fermadyl 619 leave in for curly hair
Flat iron with a nano-silver ionic flat iron
I use shea and coconut oil only on my hair.
I have very curly hair.
That's my reggie... HELLLLLLP!

Natural Glow

Here is my process:
Air dry
Use Fermadyl 619 leave in for curly hair
Flat iron with a nano-silver ionic flat iron
I use shea and coconut oil only on my hair.
I have very curly hair.
That's my reggie... HELLLLLLP!

I would definitely put in a serum after the leave in.

Also have you tried rollersetting? for me the smoother my hair is before I flat iron the smoother it will be when i'm done.

Misshairdiva

I usually go to the salon to get my hair rollerset, however I didn't have time this week and just went to a friends to get it flat iron.
Ok, so now I know... ROLLERSETTING MAKES HAIR SMOOTHER. That's what I thought, I just needed to hear it from someone else!

Celestial

I sometimes hear these flat-iron horror stories though I never seen someone flat-iron their hair and it frizz shortly afterwards. Do you use a heat protectant serum probably something that has silicon in it. Silicon seals the cuticles better and it is most likely to keep it that way for awhile. My mother uses a titanium flat iron and I use the same kind and we don't have a problem with frizz. Did you take your time or did you rush through it.

Natural Glow

I usually go to the salon to get my hair rollerset, however I didn't have time this week and just went to a friends to get it flat iron.
Ok, so now I know... ROLLERSETTING MAKES HAIR SMOOTHER. That's what I thought, I just needed to hear it from someone else!
Yup! I mean the roots won't get straight of course but I just flat iron my roots and I'm good. I'm sure you could blow it out then flat iron it and get the same results. As long as your hair is smooth before flat ironing. I just suck at blowdrying.

kblc06

I think one of the most important things in getting the best flat-ironing results is to pre-straighten the hair as effeciently as possible, with as little damage as possible. I DC VERY WELL prior to rollersetting. Hair that is dry and porous will react more readily to moisture in the air. For the rollerset in my siggy (I used lacio lacio, very diluted lottabody 95% water/5% solution, and a little Cantu leave-in.

To flat iron afterwards, I apply a heat protectant (Chi Silk Infusion or Maxius products are great). I take very thin, but wider sections, no more than 1/4" thick and chase the hair with my Denman brush or comb before gliding the iron over the section. Your results may have more to do with the technique you're using rather than the actual iron. With a good, tight rollerset, I can even get my roots pretty smooth.

BlkOnyx488

it takes me about 2 or 3 days to fully straighten my hair.
Wrapping my hair really helps. but once I get it straight it's good

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
My last flat iron turned out like this. The second pic is literally right after flat ironing at 400 degrees. My roots were like whoa
ETA sorry the pics are together, it's a comparison pic

jendazzler

Some ladies have been switching from CHI serum to Sabino Moisture block because of less frizz. It waterproofs your hair so to speak. I bought the product but have not used it because I'm waiting to for my CHI serum to run out. Also, with Sabino it takes a few practices (you have to know how much product to use). It comes in a larger size than Chi but also costs more. However, one small bottle of Chi lasts me all year. Believe me, I have tried putting alot of it(CHI) in my hair because I thought it would work better but it only made my hair crunchy.

Here is the website, but you should do a search on this forum for it
http://www.sabinohair.com/moisture-block.php

http://www.sabinohair.com/MBHowTo02.php

nikki2229

Thanks for starting this thread OP.
My hair does the same thing, it reverts while flat ironing. I use Sabino and IC heat protectant and it still doesn't help me.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
It helps to put oil on the hair after you flat iron. It makes your style last longer and it is less "smoke" coming from the iron.:grin: I use a blow dryer brush from Hot Tools. That thing gets my hair strait enough so all I have to do is roller set it.:yep: I use ORS olive oil as a heat protector and it gets my close to 5 month transitioning hair strait. I will update my fotki with new pictures next week.

Nonie

OK, I know I'm not a heat pro so maybe what I share doesn't seem to hold much water, but I'm telling you, until April this year, I was terrified of heat. I also seemed not to lose my battle with frizz in a day or so. Not so this year.

Prior to April 2009, my pressing method was wet-to-dry with no product but water and then with one more time with a serum applied. I got an OK press. This year, I made a few changes.

I dry DC'd overnight with a reconstructor, shampooed and then conditioned with CHI Infra Treatment, rinsed and then for the first time stretched my hair before the wet-to-dry press but I didn't want to use heat for that, so I stretched at room temp. ;) Also instead of wet-to-dry w/ just water, I used a heat protectant spray to wet my hair (after stretching BTW :look: ) and for my second press a heat protectant serum instead of my usual plan serum. (Heat protectants were a new thing for me.)

Before the press:

After stretch by airdrying in Curlformers:

The wet-to-dry with heat protectant didn't look so hawt :perplexed but I made sure to coat the hair completely with the protectant spray:

Final press was done again on small sections very carefully coated completely by protectant serum:

And here's how my hair looked when I put it into plaits in readiness for a shampoo 3 days later:

And for anyone thinking I used too much heat, I assure you my hair was not damaged at all.

Reversion started as soon as I shampooed my hair as could be seen when I undid one plait :grin: :

And at the end of my wash, my hair was back to its old self:

So my advice for preventing immediate frizzing:
- I highly recommend wet-to-dry presses but instead of doing them with just water, I recommend a heat protectant liquid.
- I also emphasize that you work on small sections at a time.
- I also highly recommend using a heat protectant serum applying meticulously to small sections at a time so hair is well covered to seal hair from humidity.
- I also believe that if your flat iron isn't hot enough, it won't properly breakdown the bonds necessary for that temporary straight hair. But if your hair isn't well protected, it could break them down permanently = damage.​

ETA: I forgot to mention the highlight of the entire process: not ONCE did I smell burnt hair. Not during the press, nor after I was done; not even when I wet my hair to shampoo. :yay: I have always had reversion after a press, but NEVER in all my life have I witnessed a press w/o any burned smell or shampoo of pressed hair without any burned-hair smell. Yay me!

Last edited:

Celestial

OK, I know I'm not a heat pro so maybe what I share doesn't seem to hold much water, but I'm telling you, until April this year, I was terrified of heat. I also seemed not to lose my battle with frizz in a day or so. Not so this year.

Prior to April 2009, my pressing method was wet-to-dry with no product but water and then with one more time with a serum applied. I got an OK press. This year, I made a few changes.

I dry DC'd overnight with a reconstructor, shampooed and then conditioned with CHI Infra Treatment, rinsed and then for the first time stretched my hair before the wet-to-dry press but I didn't want to use heat for that, so I stretched at room temp. ;) Also instead of wet-to-dry w/ just water, I used a heat protectant spray to wet my hair (after stretching BTW :look: ) and for my second press a heat protectant serum instead of my usual plan serum. (Heat protectants were a new thing for me.)

Before the press:

After stretch by airdrying in Curlformers:

The wet-to-dry with heat protectant didn't look so hawt :perplexed but I made sure to coat the hair completely with the protectant spray:

Final press was done again on small sections very carefully coated completely by protectant serum:

And here's how my hair looked when I put it into plaits in readiness for a shampoo 3 days later:

And for anyone thinking I used too much heat, I assure you my hair was not damaged at all.

Reversion started as soon as I shampooed my hair as could be seen when I undid one plait :grin: :

And at the end of my wash, my hair was back to its old self:

<B>So my advice for preventing immediate frizzing:
- I highly recommend wet-to-dry presses but instead of doing them with just water, I recommend a heat protectant liquid.
</B>
- I also emphasize that you work on small sections at a time.
- I also highly recommend using a heat protectant serum applying meticulously to small sections at a time so hair is well covered to seal hair from humidity.
- I also believe that if your flat iron isn't hot enough, it won't properly breakdown the bonds necessary for that temporary straight hair. But if your hair isn't well protected, it could break them down permanently = damage.
ETA: I forgot to mention the highlight of the entire process: not ONCE did I smell burnt hair. Not during the press, nor after I was done; not even when I wet my hair to shampoo. :yay: I have always had reversion after a press, but NEVER in all my life have I witnessed a press w/o any burned smell or shampoo of pressed hair without any burned-hair smell. Yay me!

My hair looks like your hair in the first pic that reads: before the Press. I use the pink creme from Gold Medal product and that is the best pressing creme/protector I ever used. My mother use it for my sister hair. I put it in my hair the day before I flat iron. I think it settles in and protect the hair shaft better that way rather than applying it right before you press the hair. I never have any problems with getting my hair straight.

Honey01

One product that I like for frizz is Aveda's Anti-humectant pomade. And it smells yummy.

My problem after flat ironing is my hair falling. I always admire women who seem to maintain body in any type of element.

Dove56

I don't know but I can tell you it's the reason why I tex-re-laxed..lol my hair 3b/c hair after 9 years (in 2007). My hair got down to my waist and I COULDN'T wear it straight because of frizz! Unless they invent some type of miracle product I don't think I'll ever see my natural curls/waves again.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Because your hair is telling you it does not like to be straightened. My hair tells me that too when I straighten every month.

lilsparkle825

humidity is a beast. if i use sabino and turn my flat iron up a little higher, i get almost no frizz afterwards. i really need to order some more of that stuff.

myxdchiick

you need to describe the whole process you're using, with products, so people can give you advice. My gut tells me you need to apply an anti-frizz serum/heat protectant prior to straightening.

I do the whole co-wash, DC... Rarely ACV rinse I need to get back on that ACV! For each INDIVIDUAL trial:
I've used CHI silk infusion,
Fantasia heat protection serum (pink bottle),
Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Press (mixed with the fantasia and Chi SI to make it smell better),
rusk spray leave-in and one of the serums,
Fantasia frizzbuster serum (purple cap),
Fantasia olive oil serum (green bottle)
IMO Heat protectants don't help for frizz on my head..but for protection from heat damage. Although, I am willing to try anti-frizz serums and possibly heat protectants that I haven't tried already....
I have tried all of these on different occasions to see what would pass the test and none of them passed! They turned into frizz. I almost want to relax again..but hesistant about it because I have transitioned for a year and I am happy with my 3 inches of NG.

Nonie

Maybe you're right about anti-frizz. John Frieda Frizz-Ease Serum was my first intro to silicone products and I consider the line a veteran in the department of anti-frizz since it's been around for as long as I have known of such products, so that's the line I have always used when I press my hair.

For my wet-to-dry, I used John Frieda Frizz-Ease Heat Defeat Protective Styling Spray (Straight). It is said to block humidity and the directions are to spray damp hair and blow dry or to spray on dry hair immediately before flat ironing--which is what I did. My hair as I explained had been stretched w/ Curlformers before I did the wet-to-dry press and I made sure each strand was well drenched in the product, working on small sections at a time. (I have 100 Curlformers and used all of them on my head--to give you an idea of how small my sections were).

For my finishing touch, I used John Frieda Frizz-Ease Thermal Protection Hair Serum again making sure to coat the strands well without being too heavy handed, and I had no frizz until I washed my hair, which was only 3 days later but still.

I don't know why I just assumed all other serums were anti-frizz. No? Guess I've been spoiled by my boo John Frieda. :grin:

Last edited: