Why does NG make your scalp itchy?

ajoyfuljoy

Forgive me if this seems like a silly question. But why is it that when you are growing out your relaxer the scalp seems so itchy and even dry?

My scalp is just itchy and has a crazy appetite for moisture right now. This usually isn't the case when my relaxer is fresher. Any theories? Does this happen to anyone else?

Mercie

When I was deep into my stretch I don't remember it itching.

Maybe you should try oiling your scalp and moisturizing the new growth they could be dry.

Neith

Maybe it could be that you have to fight more to detangle? I know I'm tender headed. :) Maybe it's irritation?

but yeah, a light oiling after washing is soothing. :yep:

Bublin

I have the same issue. I'm having to oil my scalp and new growth once or twice a day. Also i think maybe our scalp has to get used to the constant feel of the new texture. I remember my scalp feeling itchy and tingly when i transitioned first time round but it did settle down.

jasminea

I have this problem occasionally. I don't know what causes it but it is worse the longer I stretch especially if I fail to apply my DC like a relaxer (parting hair and apply directly to new growth). I add pepperment oil to all my DC over the past month and I am 6 weeks post with no itching. Usually it starts when I am at 4 weeks. If you do not apply conditioner very well to the NG it can get dried out during the week since you daily moisturizing is likely only to the ends (at least that's the case for me). I also apply castor oil to scalp once a week the night before my main wash day, if I am having a particularly bad itchy spell I use a scalp oil with tee tree for it's anti-fungal/bacterial qualities instead of the castor oil.

Hope you find out our cause, but try applying DC like a relaxer and saturate that NG!

Soliel185

probably the same reason why your legs itch when the hair starts to grow back ( I don't know the scientific reason behind this either).

I think a lot of sensations register as "itching" on the skin, even if they're not technically caused by the things we associate with itching like dirt, irritation, or rash...

BronxMyth

probably the same reason why your legs itch when the hair starts to grow back ( I don't know the scientific reason behind this either).

I think a lot of sensations register as "itching" on the skin, even if they're not technically caused by the things we associate with itching like dirt, irritation, or rash...
I never thought about this.