Why does scalp itches when braided or weaved?

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by bermudabeauty, Oct 28, 2008.

1. bermudabeauty

bermudabeauty New Member

I have recently put in a weave and I know right off that the scalp will itch something fierce! But why? Does anyone know why your scalp itches so badly when in braids or weaves?

2. sunshinelady

sunshinelady New Member

Nobody understands the mechanism behind itching. It is the same sensation as pain, but manifests as an itch.

3. ChocalateDiva

ChocalateDiva New Member

Sometime there is a chemical on the weave that ppl are sensitive to. If you submerge the weave in a lil vinegar and water before installing, that may help.

4. glamazon386

glamazon386 Well-Known Member

I think it's because all the individual hairs are being pulled.

5. ChocalateDiva

ChocalateDiva New Member

Good point!!!!:yep:

6. Lebiya

Lebiya Well-Known Member

I was told that it should be soaked in vinegar and Luke warm water for 20 mins or so to remove some kind of product they put on it before it’s sold. That causes itching

7. ayoung

ayoung New Member

For me---it was/is the weave hair. The chemicals and dyes are no joke on my scalp. When I wash the braids as soon as I get them (with certain hair) the itching stops. (you can see all the black dye going down the drain...ugh!)

Never had that prob. with my Extentions Plus hair b/c they advise you to wash first anyway.

8. lovenharmony

lovenharmony ET / OT Bonafide Member

I completely agree with this. It's the tension of your hair follicles being pulled or stimulated in some form or fashion that makes your scalp inclined to itch more. Just like when you've been constantly walking for a long time...the blood circulation makes my thighs itch somthing fierce!!! :yep:

9. vkb247

vkb247 Well-Known Member

I think that there are several reasons.

You might be allergic to the hair. Like the other ladies said - NEVER install weave hair before washing it first.

Sometimes weavers use extension hair in your braids to make a better base but if you are allergic to extension hair then this is a no no.

I personally think that my hair itches when braided because my hair is so thick that the only time that it is exposed to the elements is when it is braided (my scalp is so much lighter than me it is ridiculous). So I have to make extra efforts to keep it moisturized and clean. Tea tree oil is usually my solution.

10. tiffupretty

tiffupretty New Member

oooh good point...cuz my thighs get on fire when i walk alot or run...and im like i cant take it

11. Ediese

Ediese New Member

OT: OMG at the bolded. I went running with my new 'friend', and all of a sudden my legs started I T C H ing. I had to stop and start walking. I tried to explain to him, and he acted like I was losing my mind. lol I started scratching my skin so hard, and it was still itching. For some strange reason, it felt like the itching was coming from under my skin. This has happened to me before, but I thought if I warmed up then it'd be cool. Uh uh! That's a horrid feeling!:wallbash:

12. DaPPeR

DaPPeR NIBERIANGIRL

Im a Rhode Island girl living in Brooklyn,NYC
    I alwaysss asked myself this. I always experience this...Bumping for more answers