Why Don't Stylists Care About Your Hair?

*fabulosity*

Wow.. some of yall are coming with it! Seriously.. at all of the salons of I've been to in life.. probably 5.. most of them had women with long pretty hair at the salon. But I've never went to one of the "hood" quick weave; give you a really short haircut and keep it pushing salons either.

Essensual

I think you can't force a stylist to care about a client's hair in much the same way you can't force a physician to care about a client's health.
They are trained to deal with the symptoms and not the actual source of the problems.

Real CARING comes from a much deeper place that isn't income driven. When professionals REALLY start CARING, they will start LISTENING. It's so sad, but true.

Anew

Mine does. You have to put in work to find one who really does care, whose main focus isn't to ONLY have the "baddest heads of hair" walking out of their salon. It took me a while and a few years break from going to anyone's salon before I found my stylist. Good luck

oreoday99

I think they're just used to people simply wanting to look pretty & not caring about the methods used to achieve the look, combined with improper education/ignorance about our hair.

I agree with this because I was one of those people. This was way before I found the forum.

nsmith30

I think some of it has to do with them wanting to make as much money as possible in a day so they overbook and are constantly trying to catch up so they are rushing. Another thing i think, is that some stylists have preconceived notions about what black hair is supposed to look like so they do what they want and not what you want. I have had both good and bad stylists. I can honestly say the difference between the two, was that the good stylist took the time to become my friend. I was more than a client to her. The bad stylist on the other hand, saw my money and not me as a person.

Almaz

My Stylist is the greatest I tell you. She cares about my hair and she has a lot of hair herself. Flowers McNight is the best in Chicago is the best. I only let one other lady touch my hair and she moved back to Ethiopia to take care of her mother after her father died. I am very picky about people who touch my hair not only because of the skill level but also like on a spiritual vibe sense.

beans4reezy

Just some advice ladies...When visiting a stylist, especially if it's your first visit to a new stylist. You should be getting a consultation prior to any service. Your new hair care technician should listen to what the customer's issues and concerns are and what they are trying to achieve. The stylist job is to then disect the information provided by the customer and use their professional expertise (if you will) to develope a treatment plan and introduce it to their customer. It's also the stylist job to recommend and make suggestions as to what's needed for their specific hair care. Most importantly the stylist need to be true to themselves and the customer.
HTH

YES! Well said!!!!! This is how I FINALLY found a hairdresser in NY. I sat down with her FIRST for a consultation and BEFORE she ran off to get more chemicals and a pair of shears...she was honest with me, advising me to wait. What also struck me as sincere was that when I told her my hair growing goals, she asked about my diet, etc...she takes a holistic approach to hair care.

Good stylists are out there..unfortunately, they are just few and far in between...but you can find them:yep:

Evolving78

just to put this out there, but highly textured hair care is not taught in school. cosmetology learn the science and basic stuff, but are not taught about handling different textures and how to care for them. that is something they have to learn after graduation.

Evolving78

i bet a lot of us never had a consultation before. i remember going to a few stylists, asking them questions and all of them were shocked, surprised, and thought it was funny. but if you want someone to take your hair serious, you have to take it serious first.

darlingdiva

just to put this out there, but highly textured hair care is not taught in school. cosmetology learn the science and basic stuff, but are not taught about handling different textures and how to care for them. that is something they have to learn after graduation.

I think this is a BIG part of the problem. The curriculum needs to be broadened to teach the cosmetology students how to care for different textures of hair, not just how to wash & style.

Of course, what you said about the individual caring about his or her own hair is also key. No one is going to care about your hair more than you do.