"why i do not use a heat protectant ..

I stand corrected on APL. It looks like she had already straightened the bottom layers, which are longer. In the video you linked, we don't see the bottom of her hair, but it looks good and full at BSB at least (that's the lowest she shows).

If her hair grew 4 inches in 6 months, she has a very fast growth rate. Even if her hair grew 3 inches in 6 months, that is still faster than most of us. Fast growth helps someone achieve longer lengths with more damage because the hair isn't as old.

She was WL in this video from Aug 2012, and aspiring to be TB. So if her hair is still WL, with her growth rate, that is being stuck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgQcXIPyuHU

I'm happy for her that she can have hair that long while doing what she wants. Nothing wrong with sharing your hair care practices, no matter what they are. But it is a little like a skinny person with a high metabolism talking about their "burgers n fries" diet as if that helped them get thin, when actually, they got thin in spite of it. The difference is that while pretty much everyone knows some people have a fast metabolism and can eat whatever, good black hair practices are not widely understood. Judging by the video comments, it seems like a few people will be led astray.

If the burgers n fries diet is going to work for you, you are already skinny. If this regimen is going to work for you, you already have long hair.

I need to remember this.

Well she did say it works for her but then again she went back and criticized the ones that do use heat protectant, I will continue to use my tresemme regardless of what she says, the extra step doesn't bother me and I will be the first time mother who is to protective of my hair. I'm more geared towards natural products so most of my stuff i use mostly don't have cones to protect my hair. And just because a salon doesn't use heat protectant doesn't mean anything at all. How many of us suffered from salon visits, but she will argue that it's high end salons she goes to i guess. But I hope people don't copy off her her and then run on YouTube talking about she set them up for failure, I take every advice people give me with a grain of salt until i research it and even then years later you find something that contradicts the research so...

Hi Guys,

I totally agree with the burger and fries comment. we are taking this youtubers regimes out of context. Her heat styling practices are damaging, but her total regime would work for most

1. Sister abstains from heat most of the year
-Abstains from heat for six months per year
-Wears wigs to give herself a break from heat
-Only washes her hair monthly
She only uses heat two or three times per year

2. She cuts her hair often; she cuts hair every two months

3. She has a fast growth rate

4. She wear wigs as a protective style

5. She does not use a blow dryer, so she is only using one direct heat tool on her hair.

6. She uses diet and exercise to grow healthy hair.
Most of us could use this total hair regime. Bottom line if you just use bad heat practices a few times per year and then cut off the damage, you could probably grow healthy pretty hair

The only thing I'm scratching my head about is her comment about not wanting to add a heat protectant that seemed to work for her because it's an extra step. Her regimen isn't exactly simple. It contains all kinds of extra steps that personally I know I wouldn't want to do; in my head I'm thinking what's one more product to add that seems to have worked for her when she already does a lot to her hair. LOL but hey, whatev, her hair looks good and she's happy.

Hi Guys,

I totally agree with the burger and fries comment. we are taking this youtubers regimes out of context. Her heat styling practices are damaging, but her total regime would work for most

1. Sister abstains from heat most of the year
-Abstains from heat for six months per year
-Wears wigs to give herself a break from heat
-Only washes her hair monthly
She only uses heat two or three times per year

2. She cuts her hair often; she cuts hair every two months

3. She has a fast growth rate

4. She wear wigs as a protective style

5. She does not use a blow dryer, so she is only using one direct heat tool on her hair.

6. She uses diet and exercise to grow healthy hair.
Most of us could use this total hair regime. Bottom line if you just use bad heat practices a few times per year and then cut off the damage, you could probably grow healthy pretty hair

I agree but its still "burgers and fries." For example, I do all if the above, except I've used a blow dryer once in 11 years, no flat irons and will still never have her hair. My hair also grow slower than average. When I cut back on washing my hair, I had heavy shedding (bacteria?). I will be bald if I followed the no washing method. Doing all I can is only giving me "ok" hair.

It's on the same par with me working out 6 days a week and still able to eat crap because no matter what, it will make me fat.

I agree with most of everything she said. I have NEVER had heat damage even without using conditioners. I've used hot combs and flat ironed on 400 degrees and up. Most conditioners have dimethicone in it so your hair is protected. This is making me think that "heat protection" is a waste of money. A lot of moisturizers double as a heat protectant anyway.

And since when is 3in in 6 months considered fast hair growth? That is average?

Last edited:
My girl's hair and face is beautiful with or without a heat protectant. I'm sure her looks and style turn heads. Bottom line, I'm sure men love it...

I ain't about to try it... but it obviously works for her. From other videos I get the feeling she isn't concerned about retaining her curl pattern.

Either way - her hair is gorgeous.

I love her hair! When I was first natural (before I was on hair forums) I didn't use heat protectants and my hair did fine. I didn't start using them until I came on hair forums and relaxed my hair because I knew it would be weaker than my natural hair. Not sure if I will keep using them this time around when I'm natural. My natural hair was a warrior and grew through anything.

I had been using jojoba oil and Tresemme Heat Tamer Spray but then I went on a two month no heat challenge. I decided I wanted to flat iron lightly yesterday after my henna gloss. I used some Haitian black castor oil for the first time to seal and I loved how shiny, moist and bouncy my hair came out. The HBCO gave the hair a nice thin coating of protection (not to mention what henna does) and my hair feels sssooo good!!

I wish my hair was that resilient, I get heat damage even with heat protectant
and heat activated leave in treatments. I've switched to a l'oreal steam pod from a normal flat iron and I use less often, only twice per year. I guess she's just lucky to be able to do all that.

I laughed when I realized who yall were talking about :lol: I'm subscribed to her, but I'm one of those people who CANNOT do what she does. I can't seem to go a week without washing my hair. When I do flat iron, I USE a heat protectant of some sort because my hair would turn to ash without one, and I love beef and pork too much to follow a diet like hers (she says this contributes to her consistent growth rate along with hardcore protective styling).

Her hair is pretty though. I must have watched her reveal vid like 10 times the first time I saw it :lick:

Back