Why I want long hair?? (in response to why black women want long hair)

MJ

I want long hair because I've never had it. And up until this year, never thought it was possible. How do I define long hair? For me, when the very front of my hair touches my collar bone or the back reaches midback (in between the shoulders and brastrap). My hair is now 7"-9" (relaxed) and it's the longest it's ever been in my entire life. Thanks LHCF!

As a child, I used to be one of those kids who'd put the head of a mop or hang a shirt [or any long fabric] over my head and pretend it was my hair, while at the same time believing that only black people mixed with races other than black or people from races other than black could have long hair, and I ain't mixed. I have 4b hair.

From this site and the hair lady's site, I learned soo much as to what I was doing wrong, which was EVERYTHING me and every woman in my family [both sides] was taught about hair care. In this past year I've had to change my beliefs, attitude, products, and routine because of what I've been learning since Dec. 2003. Everyone in my family that my hair care routines are crazy, but I hope the results, in time, will convince them that I'm not.

Do I want to be white, hispanic, asian, mixed? Nah? I don't even want another black woman's long hair. I just want to know that I can grow healthy, long, and beautiful hair. And when I reach bra-strap (dec. 2006, hopefully), I want to know that I can cut it all off and it will grow back again because my hair does grow even though I'm black.

Don't mean to offend anyone, but those are my feelings.

mzjones :antlers:

Chinagem

I just wanted to congratulate you on your accomplishments with your hair. I'm sure you will reach your goal in no time.

Valerie

Well Done!MZjones, you must be proud of your achievements. :clap::thumbsup::clapping::yay: I am sure that you will reach your goals in no time.:bouncy:

MJ

Thanks everyone :Rose: I really appreciate all your support. That's one of the things I :love: about this forum.

MeechUK

MeechUK
Well said mzjones. My sentiments exactly, "I want to know that I CAN achieve long hair", after years of assuming that only other races were capable!

dejaomare

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

II totally agree with you mzrose. I have not had long hair since my first perm which was 24 years ago. My hair used to automatically grow way pass bra strap after my grandma pressed it. It was awesome. But I started whining about getting a perm and it has been all she wrote ever since except when I was pregnant then it grew about shoulder length. After joining this board, I realize how many mistakes I've made over the years in addition to scissor happy stylists which caused my limited growth. Now pack with all the knowledge offered by this board, I intend to achieve as much healthly thick hair as possible. Currently, My hair is healthy but thin due to years of braids.

Another point that I agree with mzrose on is I thought that only black people mixed with other races achieved great length but then I looked at my aunt, mom and grandma hair which is all long, thick and healthy and realize that is not true. I don't know what happened to me except like I stated earlier. All my friends and family are amazed at how many hair products I have and what type of regime I'm on. Like mzrose, I intend to amaze everyone and get my once long hair back again even though its been 24 years. But, I have faith that I will achieve.

Like mzrose, -- Believe me -- I don't want to be anything but black and I don't want anyone else hair but my own. I want to be able to pull my hair in a ponytail and style it and not have to worry about taking it off at the end of the day (LOL)

shayshay

cocoberry10

mzjones said:
I want long hair because I've never had it. And up until this year, never thought it was possible. How do I define long hair? For me, when the very front of my hair touches my collar bone or the back reaches midback (in between the shoulders and brastrap). My hair is now 7"-9" (relaxed) and it's the longest it's ever been in my entire life. Thanks LHCF!

As a child, I used to be one of those kids who'd put the head of a mop or hang a shirt [or any long fabric] over my head and pretend it was my hair, while at the same time believing that only black people mixed with races other than black or people from races other than black could have long hair, and I ain't mixed. I have 4b hair.

From this site and the hair lady's site, I learned soo much as to what I was doing wrong, which was EVERYTHING me and every woman in my family [both sides] was taught about hair care. In this past year I've had to change my beliefs, attitude, products, and routine because of what I've been learning since Dec. 2003. Everyone in my family that my hair care routines are crazy, but I hope the results, in time, will convince them that I'm not.

Do I want to be white, hispanic, asian, mixed? Nah? I don't even want another black woman's long hair. I just want to know that I can grow healthy, long, and beautiful hair. And when I reach bra-strap (dec. 2006, hopefully), I want to know that I can cut it all off and it will grow back again because my hair does grow even though I'm black.

Don't mean to offend anyone, but those are my feelings.

mzjones :antlers:

Well said! How are you in your progress?

Lovelylocs

:lol: I thought I was the only one who put things over my head and pretended that it was my hair when I was little. I used blackets and scarves though.

Well said, Mzjones! People don't realize the psychological damage that a messed up head of hair can cause a female.

sareca

Supergirl said:
Well said MzJones!
Supergirl, I've been meaning to thank you for the fiberguard recommendation. That stuff is amazing. I'd been having more breakage (not a lot, but more) since I dyed my hair black and it's soooo over now. :yay: So, a heart felt thanks is in order. Thanks! :rosebud:

ahem.... and now back to your regularly scheduled program...

PinkPeony

Well said MzJones

Why I won`t long hair?
Well,why not???

I think the women on the boards proved that black women indeed can have long hair,all it takes is a bit common sense,love for the hair and patience so my question on return would be why should I NOT want long hair?