Why is blow drying bad?

FoxxyLocs

I want to start blow drying my hair after each wash instead of air drying, but of course I don't want to damage my hair. What is it exactly that makes blow drying so bad? Is it the comb attachment? The amount of heat? Products used? Flat ironing afterwards?

It seems like blow drying for a few minutes should be better than sitting under a hot hooded dryer for hours (which is what I have to do when I rollerset).

Has anyone perfected a regular blow dry regimen without damage? If anyone has any feedback, info, tips, etc. I'm all ears!

Your Cheeziness

I blowdry and flat iron with every wash. I cannot airdry. I'm texlaxed and things just go left when I air dry. I get tangles and products that used to work on me just sit on my hair making it impossible to detangle so I try to avoid air drying.

I use an Andis 1875 dryer with comb attachment. I get "flick-ded" trying operate a brush and dryer with both hands.

FoxxyLocs

Do you do anything special to protect your hair from damage? What setting do you put your dryer on?

Sent from my HTC Evo

Your Cheeziness

Do you do anything special to protect your hair from damage? What setting do you put your dryer on?

Sent from my HTC Evo

This is all I do:

Shampoo
Condition / Detangle
Towel Dry
Heat Protectant spray (Fantasia IC Heat Protectant Spray)
Serum (One N' Only Argan Oil)
Blow dry (high on roots, low on ends, cool to finish)
Oil (Wonder 8 Oil Mist on roots in a few places. Brush through to distribute)
Flat iron

The oil gives me bling, prevent reversion, and make tools glide through my hair easily. I'm 16 weeks post and my hair feels like a fresh relaxer. I Just basically do what my stylist does when he straightened my hair.

I do this no sooner than 7-10 days. I'll phony pony or half wig it if my style gives out before then for whatever reason.

ETA: One thing I have learned is that if I didn't detangle properly or it feels stiff when it's still damp, I don't even think about using heat. My hair is not in a good position for the heat and manipulation.

Last edited:

candy626

From what I've read it's the high temperatures of some blow dryers in combination with the the rapid blowing of air, that often times causes too much water (moisture) to leave the hair. The hair then becomes dry and more susceptible to breakage.

Combing/brushing the hair incorrectly while blow drying can also cause breakage. I tried blowing my hair out with a Denman brush once which was a total disaster. Breakage city

Your Cheeziness

From what I've read it's the high temperatures of some blow dryers in combination with the the rapid blowing of air, that often times causes too much water (moisture) to leave the hair. The hair then becomes dry and more susceptible to breakage.

Combing/brushing the hair incorrectly while blow drying can also cause breakage. I tried blowing my hair out with a Denman brush once which was a total disaster. Breakage city

The Denman was a mess for me, too.

Studio_gal

I always blow dry my natural hair. If I didn't it tends to feel brittle and dry no matter what I put on it. It also looks shiny and healthier when blow dried

My reggie is simple. I like to use Aussie Moisturising Shampoo, DC with Organics Mayonnaise Conditioner then protect with Fantasia Heat Protector Serum.

dany06

There are 3 very important factors to getting nicely blowdryed hair.

1. moisture to dryness ratio (about 75 to 90 % dry)
The key to blow drying without so much breakage is having enough moisture in the hair to stretch out the curl and having it dry enough not to put too much stress on the strands. As you have probably hear dry hair is stronger than wet hair.

2. Work in sections and make sure roots are dry before moving on to next section.
Inch thick or smaller sections dry more evenly and fast. Focus more on the roots than the ends. If the roots are wet/damp it makes all the hair puff back up. Plus it is pretty new hair and can take more abuse w/o too much damage.

3. Tools and temperature.
I get super straight results with a round brush but it takes too long for me. The deman D4 or D5(i like this one best) works best because I can do it fast and get pretty straight results.
Also do realize that the cooler the temperature and the lower the speed, the longer it will take and not be as straight.

There is one other big important thing. Product is very important. I have noticed that blacks in particular are heavy handed with hair products. When you blow dry you wont need as much as when you air dry or set your hair. How to know how much is enough. Well start with a dime to quarter size of hair product. emulsify it between your hands. work it through you ends and work your way up. After doing this, look at your hands. If you can still see and/or feel product on your hands, then you dont need anymore. You may want to run a comb through your hair to make sure it is properly distributed. By doing this, you will cut down on drying time, hair will be straighter w/bounce and your hair will be fully protected.

Last edited:

longfroinghair

When I was relaxed blow drying was bad for me b/c using the brush and the high temperature with the two different textures (tough new growth vs. stringy relaxed) just caused my hair to break off from the root. Plus the relaxed hair was too weak to handle any brush while wet.

Natural Hair on the other hand..... I NEED to blow dry. It helps my cuticles lay smooth and flat, my hair is not as porous anymore b/c of the blow drying. It held moisture better and detangled better while wet and dry. It also stretches my hair and now it hangs while its wet. I LOVE blow drying my natural hair!

However, if I knew how to soften my newgrowth better, or find the least damaging brush I may not have had as much damage when i had a relaxer. Also, I use a different blow dryer now. My relaxed-hair blow dryer wasn't ceramic. ....so ...Who knows?

Last edited:

ScorpioBeauty09

I'm natural and I HAVE to blow dry. Whether I'm flat ironing or getting my hair braided there's no way around it. I have too much hair, it's too thick, it ain't happenin'. That said, my hair does better when I do little things to minimize the stress and heat of it all.:yep:

1) Towel drying before sectioning (air drying for longer than an hour tends to dry my hair out.) I find keeping the towel on my head a few minutes longer than usual, while I'm getting set up or something gets my hair mostly dry w/o drying it out and I don't have to use as much heat.

2) Using a cooler temperature once my hair is completely dry.

3) Really focus on de-tangling before blow drying.

4) More for breakage in general rather than heat damage but finger combing.

5) And of course, always, always, always use a heat protectant!!!

Raspberry

There's a high risk of cortex damage with heat straightening but blow drying wet hair is the worst ever because of "bubble hair" - where hot blow dryers can make water trapped in the hair strand form steam bubbles

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/11/heat-on-wet-hair-bubble-hair.html

Blow drying reduces moisture in the hair strand
http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2011/08/blow-drying-reduces-moisture-in-hair.html

However, many ladies here are able to prevent this dryness by heavy DC'ing before they use heat.

FoxxyLocs

I can't thank from my phone, but thanks for all the info ladies :) I've strictly air dried since I've been natural. I just started using a hooded dryer a few months ago. My hair used to do fine with air drying, but now I'm having issues with ssks and tangles, which keep me from wearing out styles. I'm hoping blow drying will help keep my hair stretched and cut down on tangling. I need to DC weekly, so idk yet if I'll blow dry after each DC or every other. I guess I'll see how my hair responds.

Sent from my HTC Evo

greenandchic

I always blow dry my natural hair. If I didn't it tends to feel brittle and dry no matter what I put on it. It also looks shiny and healthier when blow dried

My reggie is simple. I like to use Aussie Moisturising Shampoo, DC with Organics Mayonnaise Conditioner then protect with Fantasia Heat Protector Serum.

How do you style your hair when you blow dry it? Do you flat iron?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

Same here!!! When I blowdry, I use Mane N Tail Conditioner with Fantasia ic Heat Protectant Serum.

I tried airdrying one last time Monday evening. I wore my hair back in a bun Tuesday and then wore a twistout Wednesday. My hair felt so brittle and dry when I had my hair out in a twistout from airdried hair. So last night, I applied African Royale BRX spray, Aussie Volume conditioner and Hot Six oil to sections of my hair, then twisted and bantu-knotted it to get my hair feeling better now.

Poohbear

I can't thank from my phone, but thanks for all the info ladies :) I've strictly air dried since I've been natural. I just started using a hooded dryer a few months ago. My hair used to do fine with air drying, but now I'm having issues with ssks and tangles, which keep me from wearing out styles. I'm hoping blow drying will help keep my hair stretched and cut down on tangling. I need to DC weekly, so idk yet if I'll blow dry after each DC or every other. I guess I'll see how my hair responds.

Sent from my HTC Evo
How did you keep your hair from feeling dry and brittle after airdrying? Did you apply alot of oil to your hair?

FoxxyLocs

How did you keep your hair from feeling dry and brittle after airdrying? Did you apply alot of oil to your hair?

I actually didn't use oil at all until this year. I tried shea butter and oils when I first BC'd and they made my hair greasy, so I never used them again until a few months ago. I think I was using too much before, and trying to use them as moisturizers and not for sealing.

Anyway, I would shampoo and condition and then apply a creamy water based moisturizer and braid or twist my hair. I never had issues with it feeling dry or brittle. Even now, I can't say my hair feels dried out with airdrying, just that my SSKs are getting to be a problem because I want to wear my hair out more often, and also that air drying is taking way too long. I can braid my hair up after washing and it will take 24 hrs or more to dry. I'm tired of having to go out with my hair looking crazy while I'm waiting for it to dry.

Poohbear Studio_gal - how do you style your hair after blow drying?

greenandchic

Mine pretty much looks like this most of the time, in some sort of bun. I rarely wear my hair loose at its so fine and the weather is so cold here in England.

Sorry pic so small - only 1 on my computer at the moment.

I love it! Thanks for sharing.

Poohbear

I actually didn't use oil at all until this year. I tried shea butter and oils when I first BC'd and they made my hair greasy, so I never used them again until a few months ago. I think I was using too much before, and trying to use them as moisturizers and not for sealing.

Anyway, I would shampoo and condition and then apply a creamy water based moisturizer and braid or twist my hair. I never had issues with it feeling dry or brittle. Even now, I can't say my hair feels dried out with airdrying, just that my SSKs are getting to be a problem because I want to wear my hair out more often, and also that air drying is taking way too long. I can braid my hair up after washing and it will take 24 hrs or more to dry. I'm tired of having to go out with my hair looking crazy while I'm waiting for it to dry.

Poohbear , Studio_gal - how do you style your hair after blow drying?

Thanks FoxxyLocs. I've tried different products with airdrying and still would end up with dry feeling hair.

After blowdrying, I style my hair in different ways... either flat iron it or I will twist/bantu-knot it.

LongLeggedLife

I have always blowdried and never had a problem, hair is growing just fine, still thick as ever (from shaved to bsl in 2yrs, should hit mbl early 2012). Airdrying is just not feasible because it take over two-days to dry.

I do about 6 sections, detangle thoroughly with shower comb, then run thru it with denman. I use a blowdry creme heat protectant, blow dry with comb attachment on medium setting til dry, then use high setting to go over the whole thing at the end, then finish using the 'cool shot' button. Only takes about 30-35mins, I have the process down now.
Sometimes I flat iron after, most times I just do some version of a twist-out.

Works for me, my hair is not fragile, I think it responds well to heat in fact, there's alot of lhcf 'rules' I dont adhere to.

Your siggy hair is gorgeous, btw, OP.

FoxxyLocs

I have always blowdried and never had a problem, hair is growing just fine, still thick as ever (from shaved to bsl in 2yrs, should hit mbl early 2012). Airdrying is just not feasible because it take over two-days to dry.

I do about 6 sections, detangle thoroughly with shower comb, then run thru it with denman. I use a blowdry creme heat protectant, blow dry with comb attachment on medium setting til dry, then use high setting to go over the whole thing at the end, then finish using the 'cool shot' button. Only takes about 30-35mins, I have the process down now.
Sometimes I flat iron after, most times I just do some version of a twist-out.

Works for me, my hair is not fragile, I think it responds well to heat in fact, there's alot of lhcf 'rules' I dont adhere to.

Your siggy hair is gorgeous, btw, OP.

LongLeggedLife - Thanks! I was thinking about a method similar to yours, but without the comb attachment. How often do you blow dry (on average)?

FoxxyLocs

FoxxyLocs, have you seen LongHairDontCare2011's youtube channel?http://www.youtube.com/user/Longhairdontcare2011
She is a natural with waist length hair that blowdries her hair once a month. She does a variety of styles with her hair as well.

Yeah I love her hair! I wish I could stretch my washes out to once a month. She's one of the inspirations for keeping my hair straight more often, but I'm concerned about how often I can use heat without damage b/c I know I have to wash once a week, or two weeks at the most.

PureSilver

I have never blow dried my hair since i started on my natural journey.

FoxxyLocs, what you could do is start out by blowdrying once per month and see how your hair handles that. Also since you stated that you can only go 2weeks at most without washing; if you wash the first half of the month, you could air dry at that time. Then at the second time at the end of the month, you could treat yourself to the blow drying option at that time and style it as you please. Or vise vera

Just a suggestion.....i would want to see that healthy head of hair suffer any heat damage:nono::nono:

LongLeggedLife

foxxy, about once a week except for brief periods of braids/cornrows. I would guess I flat-iron afterwards maybe 25%of the time.
My wet styling usually ends up in disaster, and I really just dont know any other way to achieve the styles I like, the heat softens and adds an airyness that allows my styles to 'move'/have body.
I also dont know any other way to get thru my hair and get it smooth without using the comb, but once I run the denman thru it, the comb goes thru easily.

The concern about heat damage has always seemed over-dramatized to me, but you do have to test what works for you.

May I ask how you got your siggy results, it has the look of soft blown out hair...

LynnieB

I want to start blow drying my hair after each wash instead of air drying, but of course I don't want to damage my hair. What is it exactly that makes blow drying so bad? Is it the comb attachment? The amount of heat? Products used? Flat ironing afterwards?

It seems like blow drying for a few minutes should be better than sitting under a hot hooded dryer for hours (which is what I have to do when I rollerset).

Has anyone perfected a regular blow dry regimen without damage? If anyone has any feedback, info, tips, etc. I'm all ears!

Probably because it has a tendency to dry the hair out too much, making it brittle or weak if you're not careful.

I've been blowdrying for a few months now, no pressing or flatiron afterwards. The blowdrying (like in my siggies) is enough to straighten the hair out and smooth it without the extra step of pressing.

I use a comb attachment with no problems.

Wash, deep condition (protein or moisture), let most of the water drip out so hair is damp not soaking wet then blowdry on warm/hot. Highest heat near the roots.

I've been using CHI and found it's a great product as a heat protectant and my hair's almost as straight using a blow dryer as it was when I dried then pressed/flatironned just a little fluffier.

I also apply a bit of UltraSheen Satin press and use the warm hair to coat the hair. Olive oil to maintain it til next wash.

Adaj

Thank you for creating this thread! I see better results when I blow dry before styling my hair in two strand twists. I only blow dry about 2x every 3-4 mos.

I've really been wanting to blow dry every wash bc I can really see the difference in my twists. Thanks again, for the thread :)

Sent from my HTC EVO