Why is blow drying bad?

blazingthru

After my severe heat damage last June 2010, I am terrified to even get close to heat. But when I blow dry I use a cool setting.

Kalia1

@Zaynab-Sorry I didn't see your question earlier:)

No I don't use an attachment. I simply stretch my hair while wet and run the blowdryer up and down. It takes a few but after I have dry strecthed hair. Please know it's not bone straight just no shrinkage.

I will look for the youtube video that got me started and send you the link.

naturalmanenyc

I was tagged :)

I do not blow dry enough to really comment though, and I cannot air dry my loose hair.
I do often air dry in braids.

Nonie

From what I've read it's the high temperatures of some blow dryers in combination with the the rapid blowing of air, that often times causes too much water (moisture) to leave the hair. The hair then becomes dry and more susceptible to breakage.

Combing/brushing the hair incorrectly while blow drying can also cause breakage. I tried blowing my hair out with a Denman brush once which was a total disaster. Breakage city

I haven't read the whole thread but candy626 basically said what I think. I also don't think bubble hair is just caused by direct heat on hair but think that hot air directed on a section of hair could heat up liquid inside the hair and turn it to vapor, hence bubble hair and mid-strand splits. Now if you used cool air, that may not be any different from airdrying out in the wind.

I even stopped DCing with heat because I just couldn't wrap it around my head how that couldn't cause bubble hair.

MzSwift

Do any of you have pics of your blow dry results or styles after blow drying?

Sent from my HTC Evo

FoxxyLocs

I don't blowout often but I am going to once my new blowdryer arrives.
Domin/LHDC2011 has a variety of styles on longer blown out hair in one of her hair journey vids. I'll have to find it.

Raspberry

So I went out and bought a Revlon Tourmaline dryer and some Silk Elements Heat Protection Spray. You guys always provide the right purchase inspiration.. honorable mention to Zaynab :lol:

I'll try the tension method on partially air-dried hair on my roots only... we'll see how it goes.

Zaynab

So I went out and bought a Revlon Tourmaline dryer and some Silk Elements Heat Protection Spray. You guys always provide the right purchase inspiration.. honorable mention to Zaynab :lol:

I'll try the tension method on partially air-dried hair on my roots only... we'll see how it goes.

Raspberry I LOVE that dryer and I've used all kinds and all prices, even more expensive ones. Good luck:yep:

lana

So you never use a brush or attachment? But how long does that take? I can't get a visual here

@lana I'm gonna have to look up this tension method. You have alot of hair like me, how long does this take? I'm too lazy to spend alot of time

Zaynab, sorry I'm just now seeing this question. It takes me about 30 minutes to blow dry. I use medium heat. I do not use cool.

Nope I never use a comb attachment during my normal blow dry sessions. Now once this year so far, I did use the comb attachment (to an older blow dryer) on my bangs, because they were just wayyy too poofy...anyways I stopped cause I saw that tooo much hair was just snapping off.

So back to no comb attachment. I usually end up breaking comb attachments....guess that's a good thing, means my hair is thick.

I plan to wash tonight. So if I remember, I will post a pic of my blow dried hair. Just think of a lion's mane in the mean time.

FoxxyLocs

I tried the tension method for the first time last night and it worked great. The only problem I had was getting to my ends, but I ended up rolling my hair on some flexi rods so it turned out fine.

I dried on low heat and then combed through it again to make sure it was fully detangled. Then I went over each section with high heat and my denman (just one quick pass). Then I finished up with a cold shot.

My hair came out pretty straight. It's soft and fluffy, and would be easy to flat iron if I wanted to. It's a little oily because I put coconut oil on to detangle and then didn't rinse it out. I also think I used too much heat protectant. It's not a huge deal, but if I were flat ironing I would definitely use less oil.

Overall I'm really happy with the results. It felt very gentle, not damaging at all. I'll definitely be keeping this as part of my regimen. I'll also be paying close attention to my ends, but I don't think this method is very damaging at all.

Sent from my HTC Evo

Raspberry

I finally tried the tension blow dry method this morning and was very pleased - quick and easy, I didn't have to concentrate on my technique. I applied my normal leave-ins, t-shirt dried to about 60%, applied a Chi Silk knock-off, detangled with a wide tooth comb, then tension dried on the warm setting in 4 sections since I was in a hurry. The results were smooth and my hair feels moisturized and has swang - and most importantly, no breakage. I could probably get silkier results by using smaller sections in the future.

I tried blowing with a round brush a month ago but I think that was too advanced for me, I didn't have a good technique and stressed my ends some. I'll stick with the tension method for now, plus I have to find a comb attachment online that will fit my Revlon dryer.

almond eyes

Dear Ladies,

If I knew what I knew now about the tension method I would have stayed natural. I was natural up until 2010 and had a difficult time with SSK and tangles. Because my hair is a combination of 4a/4b and 3cs the different combinations as it got longer the ends would snap off a lot at the slightest thing. When I would wear my hair in a big pony tail, the 3c sections throughout my hair would stick up from the rest of my hair and people would always advise me on taming my hair a bit more. I spent a lot of money on gels specifically to tame those hair but no such luck those hairs would always shoot up especially if I washed my hair in extension braids. I exclusively air dried my hair because I was afraid of heat. Whenever I would talk to my mother about using heat, the only thing she could come up with was the pressing comb which worked well for her hair but not for mine.

I actually got a severe set back when I decided to blow dry my natural hair on my own. And my mother warned me that if I didn't get my hair all one uniform texture I would have some breakage from combing and trying to style my hair. I don't think that I used all that much heat but as my mother predicted, not getting my hair in one uniform texture caused me breakage along with the fact that my arms got so tired that some parts of my hair got dry and then that caused further damage.

I moved to West Africa where the humidity is very high. I couldn't deal with the damage so I braided it before I moved and because I had not braided my hair in such a long time and my braids were too tight, I lost all my progress.

My hair dresser convinced me to get a relaxer in order to get my dense fine hair into at least a more uniform texture that would make it easier to style and look neater when I wore braids extensions and without extensions.

So, to make a long story short I did relax it. I digress, anyhow now that I am relaxed my hair dresser uses the tension method to blow dry my hair once a month. I have had no problems since that time. As I said while I am not like upset over having relaxed hair, if someone had used this method on me when I was natural I would have remained that way and it would have made styling my hair a lot easier. Like now I would have just kept my hair in a bun and only wear it down on special occasions. I prefer buns anyway and not really into the whole phenomenon of wearing hair out all the time.

So it really does depend on your hair texture and your hair needs. My mother who is natural doesn't care for the tension blow dry method she can't stand very straight hair and wears by her trusty pressing comb on the stove. She doesn't have problems with SSKs and tangles because her hair is all 3c and she loves to hair dry it in big braids.

Best,
Almond Eyes

almond eyes

I must add that my mother was probably a 4a and from 30 years of pressing her hair is now a heat trained 3c.

Best,
Almond Eyes