Why is it taking forever for forums to load?

Kiki0130

Nikos said:

"We expect the forum to be closed Friday November 05 and will open again on Monday or Tuesday. There will be a page outlining the progress made and the expected time that the forum will be up and running."

Sounds like a plan :yep:

lala

dimopoulos

Thanks for the update, I agree that you should rollback to version 3.8 (for now). As a suggestion, maybe run your next "upgrade" on a parallel development server and solicit testers from your LHCF user DB. The user(s) can test functionality and performance on more than one browser. If you test on the development server (if you have access to one) vs. going production with only a few common scenarios tested, it's going to present less challenges in providing an environment that'll meet overall expectations (less grumbles). You should always want to develop to accommodate a variety of user preferences on the most common browsers :grin:.

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
dimopoulos

Thanks for the update, I agree that you should rollback to version 3.8 (for now). As a suggestion, maybe run your next "upgrade" on a parallel development server and solicit testers from your LHCF user DB. The user(s) can test functionality and performance on more than one browser. If you test on the development server (if you have access to one) vs. going production with only a few common scenarios tested, it's going to present less challenges in providing an environment that'll meet overall expectations (less grumbles). You should always want to develop to accommodate a variety of user preferences on the most common browsers :grin:.

That is actually not a solution since it has been tried, tested and failed.

There have been numerous boards that have made the move to v4 and decided a few months later to switch to v3.8. The ones that stuck to v4 have managed to pull it through with increased server resources etc.

I always use the parallel development - heck one of the users found the dev board and went and registered there once - but it is never going to give you an accurate picture of what the live site will be like. I cannot have 1000 testers on the development board to simulate browsers, load, traffic etc.

Development boards are fine to address functionality issues but not load issues. Even with a load simulator like Apache's jmeter or ab testing you cannot get a good picture of what is going to happen in a live environment.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Vintageglam

what ever you do please do it quickly. I am virtually unable to use the forum and have noticed the numbers every evening are dwindling rapidly. its just too painful to use lhcf at the moment.

Raspberry

The site is loading much faster today, whew.. The mobile app Tapatalk still loads LHCF fairly fast but it's hard for me to use that at work.

That is actually not a solution since it has been tried, tested and failed.

There have been numerous boards that have made the move to v4 and decided a few months later to switch to v3.8. The ones that stuck to v4 have managed to pull it through with increased server resources etc.

I always use the parallel development - heck one of the users found the dev board and went and registered there once - but it is never going to give you an accurate picture of what the live site will be like. I cannot have 1000 testers on the development board to simulate browsers, load, traffic etc.

Development boards are fine to address functionality issues but not load issues. Even with a load simulator like Apache's jmeter or ab testing you cannot get a good picture of what is going to happen in a live environment.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Dang, I feel kinda bad for you havin to revert the site to the previous version given all the work you guys have done, plus server moves, which tend to suck. Wish we could all give you some extra $$, maybe we could pay you in deep conditioning treatments? Pedicures? :think:

Well, i don't visit any other forum except Motherhood. As I log in, I get a pop that tells me my submission could not be completed because I am not logged in. I then re-log in (which takes way too much time) and once I get to the forums, when I click teh Motherhood board, I get kicked back out.

What is this all about?

Kiki0130

O.M.G.

Did the threat of abandoning v4 scare it into
high performance? It's on point today!

I may just have to forget the housework today...

asubeauty

I'm so glad it's getting better. I haven't been to the board lately because I usually stop in on a study break and it was taking so long that I literally just didn't have the time. :lol:

TamedTresses

It hasn't been any better for me today.

I will say that I am happy that they are working to put things back to the way it was. It's cool that they really have been taking our comments into consideration and we weren't just blowing hot air. I prefer this new layout and look, but I miss the efficiency of the older version.

Ash25

Its still a lil slow in IE but SO MUCH better then before!!! I downloaded GC...and the forum is back to its old self wit GC!! Loading in under 2 secs. I didnt wanna have to download GC BUT waiting 10+ secs for each page to load was driving me crazy!!!!

GC....Gold! (lol)

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
There is still a lot of work to be done ladies. We have hired the services of a consultant who will be paid a handsome amount (4 digits) to optimize our servers to their maximum potential. There is also a lot of work to be done in the back end to ensure that everything works as fast as possible.

As far as the ads are concerned (because this was an issue at some point) we have altered the vendor and now they appear a lot faster than before.

Thank you all for your patience while we iron out all the problems.

More to come soon.

ellebelle88

Wow, I scaled back my visits and I only checked the Entertainment forums from my phone for the past 3 or 4 days so I wasn't logging on to see if everything had worked itself out. I logged on from my computer today and I'm glad to see that things are starting to return to normal. It feels almost weird that it's working a bit normal now because I'm so used to it acting up. But thanks Nikos for showing us that our complaints were being heard.

LynnieB

Things seem to be doing a whole helluva lot better over the past couple days. Whatever you all are doing, keep at it - it's working!

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Just wanted to come in and say the forum is working much, much BETTER

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
I am wondering why your experience is slow. The load times for this site have dropped to 3-7 seconds...