Why is moisture so vital to hair retention... oh wait... it's NOT!!!???!!

thinkpinkprincess

Ok so I so I know some of you are like "WHAAAAATTTT no she didn't just say that moisture wasn't important!!!" :lachen::lachen::lachen:
But hold on... let me try to explain my train of thought... :look:

*Ahem*

I have heard some ladies make the assertion that their hair "hates" protein... this has me scratching my head because well... hair IS protein :look: So how can the hair not like the primary component of its very foundation? The main reason that the hair fails to retain length is because of BREAKAGE. Breakage is curtailed when the hair is strengthened, which is possible through attaining more PROTEIN and reinforcing the structure of the molecular bonds of the hair - this becomes even more necessary when the hair has been relaxed and the natural bonds have been weakened by caustic chemicals. So PROTEIN is what strangthens the hair, which allows it to break less often, thus retaining length, right?
Now, you might be thinking, "Well, that may be true but the hair needs elasticity as well, in order to spring back after being stretched and not break". However, elastin and collagen are ideal for allowing the hair to stratch and provide optimum elasticity... and they're PROTEINS.
So I just don't see why oils and water are neccessary to actually growing the hair longer, even though I admit they can dramatically improve the FEEL and LOOK of the hair. In fact, wet hair is when the hair is the most vulnerable to damage (i.e. heat tools or brushing vs. dry hair) and prone to breakage, at least in my personal experience. But I would love to hear your thoughts on this , I still consider myself a novice when it comes to hair care analysis lol

Last edited:

locabouthair

Years ago my hair was breaking really badly, I knew nothing about hair care and my stylist used aphogee the hard protein EVERY OTHER WEEK. Did my hair stop breaking? No cause I needed moisture but I didnt know that and neither did my stylist :ohwell:

When my hair is snap crackle pop, it's because it's needs moisture. I know without a doubt if my hair actually stayed moisturized, it would flourish.

For me less moisture=less hair on my head.

But everyone needs different amounts of protein and moisture.

thinkpinkprincess

Years ago my hair was breaking really badly, I knew nothing about hair care and my stylist used aphogee the hard protein EVERY OTHER WEEK. Did my hair stop breaking? No cause I needed moisture but I didnt know that and neither did my stylist :ohwell:

When my hair is snap crackle pop, it's because it's needs moisture. I know without a doubt if my hair actually stayed moisturized, it would flourish.

For me less moisture=less hair on my head.

But everyone needs different amounts of protein and moisture.

but WHY though, were you getting enough elasticity?? I guess I just want to know if there is a scientific reason as to why our hair needs moisture

Ramya

Water was the best thing for my relaxed hair. Protein made my hair crunchy, hard and fragile. I rarely ever used protein and my hair flourished because it was never damaged to begin with. Adding protein was an OVERLOAD for my strands. And ultimately my hair is MORE fragile and prone to break when DRY rather than when wet. So much that I would never imagine combing or styling dry hair. If I need to do anything to my hair, it's getting washed and conditioned/moisturized first.

Keen

Moisture is necessary because if your hair is dry it will snap or split. When your cuticles are dry your hair will be rough. Just because your hair is not make up of water does not mean it doesn't need it. A lot of us can attest to the fact that our hair stop breaking when we added more Protein and moisture. You are welcome to eliminate moisture and let us know how that turn out for you.

Through my observation people who does not have dry scalp tend to retain more hair. That is because the oil their scalp excrete travel to the hair shaft to keep it moist.

locabouthair

but WHY though, were you getting enough elasticity?? I guess I just want to know if there is a scientific reason as to why our hair needs moisture

isnt it when you arent getting enough moisture your hair loses elasticity? thats what I read from one of sistaslicks articles. and it makes sense. when my hair is dry it doesnt take much for it to snap. it it was more moist it would "stretch" longer instead of instantly snapping. I hope I made sense.

I think of hair as a plant. which needs moisture and nourishment to grow.

I think the most important thing is listening to your hair. when my hair feels dry AND looks dry, it needs moisture. Skin needs moisture too.

locabouthair

Moisture is necessary because if your hair is dry it will snap or split. When your cuticles are dry your hair will be rough. Just because your hair is not make up of water does not mean it doesn't need it. A lot of us can attest to the fact that our hair stop breaking when we added more Protein and moisture. You are welcome to eliminate moisture and let us know how that turn out for you.

Through my observation people who does not have dry scalp tend to retain more hair. That is because the oil their scalp excrete travel to the hair shaft to keep it moist.

Hair actually is made up of water. I think only like 10% or something like that. I agree with you though.

maybe some people just need more protein? idk.. but I know for my hair, moisture or lack of it will make or break my hair.

amara11

Every life process requires water. Period. That's the way we were built biologically. Other things are also necessary but water is fundamental.

I'm confused about your question to locabouthair: "Getting enough elasticity?" (Is elasticity a vitamin or something? :look:)
Again-- that's provided by a balance of essential compounds, not the least of which is water.

Yes, you may need protein (not everyone needs exogenous sources of protein however). But you also need water (moisture) for all the reasons listed (but not limited to) by the ladies.

titan

You are on the right track when you see that protein is the major component in hair retention, But from personal experience my hair needs moisture. I feel that If I only depend on protein treatments, my hair becomes hard like a rock and snaps in half like a twig. To me the right combination of protein and moisture is key to retaining length. :yep:

thinkpinkprincess

Good points,thanks for your input, however since hair is not "alive" like plants or the skin then does it really need moisture to "grow" ? Maybe the scalp does but idk I guess I'm not seeing the parallel lol

Ramya

Good points,thanks for your input, however since hair is not "alive" like plants or the skin then does it really need moisture to "grow" ? Maybe the scalp does but idk I guess I'm not seeing the parallel lol

hair may not need moisture to "grow" but my head needs the moisture in order to retain my growth. *For me* my hair will grow regardless of what I do to the length of it. Growth is an internal process. Most do not have issues with growth but issues with retention *hence the need to balance moisture and protein ;)

locabouthair

locabouthair are you natural or relaxed?

I am relaxed.

I've been dealing with dryness for a while now. I'm a 4b so I'm more prone to dryness plus I have a relaxer. People have touched my hair and noticed how dry it is. If I never moisturized again I might as well just shave my head.

gymfreak336

Moisture is essential because strength without flexiblity means nothing.

Many things in nature are very strong, but without flexiblity, they are brittle and they break. Hair is a fiber so its no different.

Also, since your hair is made up of mostly protein, you don't need it in the same amounts that you need moisture.

thinkpinkprincess

hair may not need moisture to "grow" but my head needs the moisture in order to retain my growth. *For me* my hair will grow regardless of what I do to the length of it. Growth is an internal process. Most do not have issues with growth but issues with retention *hence the need to balance moisture and protein ;)

right, I guess the point that I was trying to make is that moisture/water might very well play an imperative role in the actual growth process of the hair since that's internal but as far as retention, it's not alive so I don't think it needs moisture to retain length, sorry if I didn't make it clear enough, I'm tired and I probably shouldn't even be on here right now lol

gymfreak336

right, I guess the point that I was trying to make is that moisture/water might very well play an imperative role in the actual growth process of the hair since that's internal but as far as retention, it's not alive so I don't think it needs moisture to retain length, sorry if I didn't make it clear enough, I'm tired and I probably shouldn't even be on here right now lol

Actually, you have it backwards. Since hair is made of protein, essential that you intake adequate amounts of it in your diet to become incorpated into the hair as it come out of your scalp. Once its out its out. That is where moisture comes in to make sure that the protein stays pliable and flexible to withstand daily stress.

thinkpinkprincess

Moisture is essential because strength without flexiblity means nothing.

Many things in nature are very strong, but without flexiblity, they are brittle and they break. Hair is a fiber so its no different.

Also, since your hair is made up of mostly protein, you don't need it in the same amounts that you need moisture.

but doesn't elasticity provide flexibility?

thinkpinkprincess

Actually, you have it backwards. Since hair is made of protein, essential that you intake adequate amounts of it in your diet to become incorpated into the hair as it come out of your scalp. Once its out its out. That is where moisture comes in to make sure that the protein stays pliable and flexible to withstand daily stress.

But don't protein treatments allow the protein to adhere to the hair shaft? what's the point of protein treatments if protein can only make a substantial difference when ingested internally?

gymfreak336

But don't protein treatments allow the protein to adhere to the hair shaft? what's the point of protein treatments if protein can only make a substantial difference when ingested internally?

Protein treatments fill in gaps in the hair cuticle from damage. That is why protein treatments have a reinforcing effect on the hair. That is the point of protein treatments but the extent to which that is needed it depended on the level of damage in the hair and the cuticle size. This is why many naturals don't really need protein treatments (especially the ones that don't heat style) because their cuticle is very much still intact. The ones that do more heat styling or styles that require heavy manipulation need it more but still usually less than relaxed heads.

thinkpinkprincess

lol I hope my question isn't coming off the wrong way or offensive... I'm not trying to challenge the system or be smart alecky lol, it's just something I've been thinking about lately and I just really want to know! :D

Keen

Yes hair is dead but if the dead hair needs protein, why not moisture?

Keen

lol I hope my question isn't coming off the wrong way or offensive... I'm not trying to challenge the system or be smart alecky lol, it's just something I've been thinking about lately and I just really want to know! :D

If you are having these questions, the hair board is a good place to ask. There are many ladies here who understand the science of hair (and I don't mean speculation).

luckiestdestiny

Ok so I so I know some of you are like "WHAAAAATTTT no she didn't just say that moisture wasn't important!!!" :lachen::lachen::lachen:

*Ahem*

I have heard some ladies make the assertion that their hair "hates" protein... this has me scratching my head because well... hair IS protein :look: So how can the hair not like the primary component of its very foundation? The main reason that the hair fails to retain length is because of BREAKAGE. Breakage is curtailed when the hair is strengthened, which is possible through attaining more PROTEIN and reinforcing the structure of the molecular bonds of the hair - this becomes even more necessary when the hair has been relaxed and the natural bonds have been weakened by caustic chemicals. So PROTEIN is what strangthens the hair, which allows it to break less often, thus retaining length, right?
Now, you might be thinking, "Well, that may be true but the hair needs elasticity as well, in order to spring back after being stretched and not break". However, elastin and collagen are ideal for allowing the hair to stratch and provide optimum elasticity... and they're PROTEINS.
So I just don't see why oils and water are neccessary to actually growing the hair longer, even though I admit they can dramatically improve the FEEL and LOOK of the hair. In fact, wet hair is when the hair is the most vulnerable to damage (i.e. heat tools or brushing vs. dry hair) and prone to breakage, at least in my personal experience. But I would love to hear your thoughts on this , I still consider myself a novice when it comes to hair care analysis lol

Cute. I know hair is protein, but everything has to have a balance. My hair does not like protein. I could do a test, and use protein for a few weeks, but then I'd have to cut my hair OFF. :lachen::lachen: Or better yet, it would just fall out for me, and then I could take pictures and send you angry PMS.:rolleyes:

Know how I know? Because I've done the aphogee thing, and other protein things, and my hair has broken off. Yes I've used moisture afterwards. It just doesn't matter. One time my hair broke to the point I cut it to two inches short, and my hair has been waistlength before and midback (1/2 inch from mid back right now) and it's from MOISTURE. Anytime I listen to a hairstylist about this it has come out. Last year at the end of the year, I found LHCF, before joining and tried some of the protein suggestions and had to cut my hair off a few inches from the breakage, as it made my hair look see through!

Anytime I listen to someone say that, I've had set backs. Anytime. Now if I go to Sally's and someone says you know what you need? I just flip it over and see if protein is in it and say "no thank you". Maybe it's because I have thyroid disease (Grave's ) who knows? But my hair is just dry dry dry. My skin is just dry dry dry (it used to be oily before Grave's) and it doesn't matter if I braid it up and spray it everyday with moisture (which I did for years to grow it back), or not. It's just dry in it's natural state even w/o the use of heat or whatever. So not everything works for everyone. I know that for me to grow my hair long, I have to dc every week and I have to use moisture products and avoid protein. The only protein my hair has taken a liking to is lacio lacio (which I dilute heavily with water to the point that there's really very little lacio in there). With my practices I've retained every bit of new growth (no she didn't say that!). EVERY INCH. And I'm on my way to growing it to longer lengths again. I can't tell you why scientifically. But I can say if I listened to scientists, I'd have no length if they're saying that all I need is protein (according to what you're saying).

Did I type too much? I just feel HEAVILY about this, because I used to feel pressured into doing what everyone else does, and that is just a no no.

cocochanty

*Ahem*

gurrrl it's about to be on and poppin:lachen:You know how the ladies on here feel about their moisturizers.:arguing:

luckiestdestiny

uncosign. Sorry, disagree. Protein is needed for hair, I get that from food, but additional protein on my hair is not needed to retain. If I get additional protein I Lose length. And I'm not even talking about a lot, I'm talking a little protein.. It has to be very sparse protein, only when necessary, and in small amounts, and the last time I needed protein was months and months ago (and I just added a little egg to my conditioner). Usually I use protein, never, or every six months (which ever comes first by necessity):grin:

bellecheveux

*Ahem*

I actually find your post to be very interesting. From what I read on hair care within the past couple years, breakage can be attributed to the swelling of the hair strand (i.e when the hair is wet). That's why when you use too much moisture, your hair breaks. That's where having a moisture-protein balance comes in. Both are needed to retain length, but moisture is needed more often. Just my two cents.

gymfreak336

Thinkpink, also consider this

Moisture is water and water can evaporate. That is why even in the healthiest of hair, over time, it can become dry. Protein doesn't evaporate. It can get worn down but on its on, it doesn't just evaporate.