Why is your hair nappy?

Thank you for posting this. I subscribed to that channel. There was a lot of great knowledge based on science, and I was pleasantly surprised to find I was pretty much on track with a lot of the stuff I learned about hair. There is still much to learn though, and this channel will be a great help. :yep:

I love this channel, been subscribed awhile now and I've watched all her videos... but I dislike this one :perplexed

I don't have a problem with nappy but it's not a scientific or proper term or anything, so I don't get why she would use it in such a context. I think the word she was looking for is "kinky." Using nappy is like using anything else, like "why is your hair busted?" and then proceed to apply science to that to make you see "busted" in a positive light.

I also disagree that hair that is kinky (or nappy) is coarse, it can be any thickness. I had left a comment saying that what people view as "nappy" is actually "kinky" and it's just hair that torsions and crimps.

SEM%201%20(2).jpg

I feel like kinky is the wrong word to use... kinky has a sexual connotation. I feel like nappy is the correct.term and the one.that has been used thru generations. We as.owners of this special hair type should own up to the word nappy. I dont know why people have such a.problem with the word nappy, like its derogatory. Its like getting mad because someone calls u black.

Go to www.merriam-webster.com and look up both words.

The word kink has zero sexual connotation. Hair that kinks is kinky...whatever other definitions it has doesn't negate it. It doesn't change the fact that it's a perfectly correct term and nappy (acting as kinky) is simply American slang. The Brits don't use nappy in this way, to them it's a diaper. In fact they have another slang word altogether for black hair.

If you read research papers or studies you'd see the usage of kinky in relation to African hair, never ever nappy. Even in the video above GreenBeauty mentions kinky, she uses nappy when addressing her point but not when describing our hair. Like I said I don't mind the world nappy (I've probably used it) but the word has no place where science is involved.

I also prefer kinky or even "tightly curled" or "coily" to nappy. Nappy has very negative connotations where I'm from. At the end of the day, it's the intention of the speaker, I think that matters most. If you're trying to give a scientific or accurate description, kinky is certainly better than nappy.

via LHCF App

Back