Why oh why did I ever get a perm

angaliquew

I got my first perm about three months ago thinking it would make my 4a/b hair more manageable. I went to a Dominican salon and she applied a very mild perm, wash/condition, roller set and blow out. Since then I been getting roller set/blow outs every two weeks.
At the 8th week mark I got a touch up because I had almost two inches of new growth. Over the course of three months I've only applied heat to my hair maybe three times(to bump the ends) and I also had my ends trimmed when I received my touch up.

By my calculations my last touch up was about a month ago and since then the hair along the nape of my neck has broken off to about 1in. :(
I'm in shock because I'm not sure what has caused the breakage (perm, blow out, wrapping).
Now I'm unsure of what to do next …get braids, transition back, or continue my regime since the rest of my hair seems to be growing.
If any of you ladies can offer any advice or tips I would greatly appreciate it...I'm regretting that I ever got a perm:cry:

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I am so sorry honey :mad: The best thing I can think of is to deep condition your hair. I don't know what conditioner you use, but I use Humectress by Nexxus. Sit under a heated dryer for about 20-30 minutes. Do this at least twice a week.

You mentioned that you got a mild perm, did you get any sores from it? Also, when she blew out your hair, did she have it on a high setting? I think the intesity of heat comintg out of the blow dryer is crazy. Good luck ((((((((( HUGS ))))))))))

shortness

If it is just the nape of your neck, it might be possible that they are not washing out the perm as well as possible. Sometimes people don't give the nape as good of a shampoo and neutralizer as the rest of your head....
Just a thought

angaliquew

jasmin said:
You think it could be the heat from the blow outs too?

That's what I'm starting to think but I don't know how if my hair can stand a press...I would think that the blow out method would be less damaging...but maybe I'm wrong:ohwell:

ThursdayGirl

Since it seems to be the nape, I kinda agree with shortness. they may not be rinsing enough out there. If its the heat, that would suggest maybe the hair back there is more fragile than the rest of your hairl...is it a different texture? or are the strands a different thickness?...

I agree with deep conditioning weekly (I think its perfectly fine to condition daily or until your hair is too soft) but deep conditioning more than once a week is a waste of conditioner.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
My nape is finer and thinner than the rest of my hair. Some women on this board also have this issue and dont even perm their nape because of this. The chemicals may have just been too much for that section. I didnt know I had a problem with mine until I stopped relaxing and it started growing longer. This may not be why it happened to you, but I used to do my own perms, I always applied to the nape last because I didnt want it too straight and did my final shampoo and rinse in the shower so I KNOW I didnt have any relaxer left in my hair. I'm sorry this happened, but give it some tlc and keep it moisturized and it will get back on track.

qtgirl

I would say it's one of three things:
1. Them not rinsing/neutralizing the perm back there well enough. *This happened to me a couple of years ago and my nape had gotten down to like an inch as well*
2. The round brush and blow-dryer is too much for that area, so it's breaking.
3. A combination of your hair being weaker from not being neutralized along with the tugging of the round brush in that weaker area.

((((HOPE IT GETS BETTER))))

MissYocairis

angaliquew said:
Since then I been getting roller set/blow outs every two weeks.:cry:

I think this, combined with the relaxer are what has caused this. You cannot get those extreme rollerset/blow outs every two weeks like that when you have a relaxer without seeing some weakening of the hair shaft I would think.

I would lay off the Dom salon blowouts and start doing some strengthening with protein treatments and deep conditioning regularly.

angaliquew

Thank you ladies for all of your advice and support... I guess there's no use in being upset about it,the damage is already done. I think I might consider transitioning back to natural, I would much rather deal with thick sometimes unmanageable hair than no hair at all...

Last edited:

ChocoKitty

You may also want to consider the type of clothing you wear. During the colder months we wear wool coats, sweaters, and scarfs & etc. These items brush against the nape of your neck and causing damage to those fragile strands. Hope this offers some additional insight.:)

jamisses

i know that in the nape area of my head, my hair seems to be a little thinner, and a different texture than the rest of my head. so, when i perm my hair ,i usually put it on the nape area last because the rest of my hair is nappier and needs longer time to process. HTH...

caligirl

angaliquew said:
Than you ladies for all of your advice and support... I guess there's no use in being upset about it,the damage is already down. I think I might consider transitioning back to natural, I would much rather deal with thick sometimes unmanageable hair than no hair at all...

I got my first perm after 20 years natural and I ended up transitioning after the 4th touch-up. My hair just wasn't the same with a perm. I missed the thickness, bushiness, and texture. The good thing about the perm though was that its wash and wear.

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
Sorry this happened to you. Here's a few suggestions:

1 - Give your hair a pre poo treatment before you to to the salon. EX: Let a good moisturizing conditioner sit on your hair overnight.

2 - For your roller sets, use a good, strengthening leave in like Salerm 21. Roll your nape area with the SMALLEST rollers possible - not the largest.

3 - If you continue with Dominican salons, let them wash and set you but once they take the rollers out, do not let them use a round brush. Just go from rollers straight to a wrap.

4 - Avoid oversaturating that portion of your hair with products or manipulation. Just let it breathe.

HTH

~*~ShopAholic~*~

ITA w/all the ladies, and the bolded part, I think it's definately unnecessary to get a fresh relaxer and blow-out, to much stress on the chemically treated hair. I think Roller wraps are just fine up until you have major NG atleast 1 in. or more and is trying to stretch relaxers, but most of the time the rollerset and using the ceramic flatirons only on the NG works just fine. Alot of the times it's not the chemical that causes damage, but improper care of the hair that causes the damage, especially when we're doing too much at one time on a regular basis. I hope your hair recovers soon.
Browndilocks said:
Sorry this happened to you. Here's a few suggestions:

1 - Give your hair a pre poo treatment before you to to the salon. EX: Let a good moisturizing conditioner sit on your hair overnight.

2 - For your roller sets, use a good, strengthening leave in like Salerm 21. Roll your nape area with the SMALLEST rollers possible - not the largest.

3 - If you continue with Dominican salons, let them wash and set you but once they take the rollers out, do not let them use a round brush. Just go from rollers straight to a wrap.

4 - Avoid oversaturating that portion of your hair with products or manipulation. Just let it breathe.

HTH

beyondcute

Wow... I seriously thin kit was the perm. Your hair was prospering before. And IM sure when you were natural you use d ablowdryer previously... The whole nape.... Id say relaxer. If it was the blowdryer then other part of your hair would be messed up as well. Im so sorry this happened... But alas such is life and hair DOES grow back So heres a hug *****HUGSSSS***** and I hope your hai returns to normal.