Why so much HATE in the hair salon? Kinda long..

Bella_Atl

Okay. I went to the hair salon today to get my hair washed and trimmed. A really good friend of mine works there and she is the only person I trust to come near my hair with scissors. This particual hair salon happens to be in SW Atlanta, which is kinda in the cut (get back to that in a sec) When I walk in I get the usual stares and the teeth sucking. No problem. I'm a big girl.:ohwell:

So these three teenage girls come in. One young lady, who has to be 14 maybe 15 years old wants to get her hair pressed for a home coming dance tonight. She had the most beautiful 4a/b full APL, Rudy Huxtable virgin hair. I was wowed by it.:drunk: Her hair stylist (We'll call her Miss Thing) looks at her hair and says. "Oh girl you have mad split ends" (here we go) and then she says "Girl, your hair is dry and damaged" (here we really go). "I'm going to have cut your hair" (Miss Thing went there). This child's hair was BEAUTIFUL!!:wallbash: The look on that little girl's face was awful. Her eyes got big, and they started to swell like she wanted to cry. She didn't speak up. And I could have sworn one of her little "friends" that came with her smirked!:nono: All I could think is where is this child's mother! My right leg started bouncing. (I do that when I'm anxious)

So she goes to the wash bowl. I look at my friend that's doing my hair and she gives me the look like..."Girl I'm not in that." So she brings the child out and starts roughly detangling her hair with a rat tail comb. Miss Thing would stop, pull hair out of the comb, drop it on the floor and starts detangling some more. She's just ripping into the child's hair. And the girls head is snapping back and forth. So by this time my leg is shaking and I'm rocking(I do that when I'm in full anxiety mode) It's killing me!

So I decided I can't take it anymore. If this child doesn't speak up I'm going to say something before she cuts this girls hair. Now I'm in the cut. I know if I say something to Miss Thing, it might turn into an ugly exchange. And I know my own APL, hair is only going to aggravate the situation. So before I say anything I assess the situation. Sneakers on (check), Exit door to the left (check), main lights switches on wall by the dryers(check). Just in case I've got to kill the lights and back out this salon.

So right before I part my lips to speak, this little girls mother comes into the salon. And the little girl says. "Mama she says she gotta cut my hair" and the mother responds, looking right at Miss Thing... "If she cuts your hair imma cut her":lachen:

I've seen this situation time and time again in hair salons. When I was younger and didn't know any better, stylist would cut my hair all the time. Sometimes just grabbing the scissors and not saying anything to me. Do they really, as professionals feel, like all hair need to be cut first and then properly taken care of or is it just hating?:perplexed

Last edited:

pookaloo83

Okay. I went to the hair salon today to get my hair washed and trimmed. A really good friend of mine works there and she is the only person I trust to come near my hair with scissors. This particual hair salon happens to be in SW Atlanta, which is kinda in the cut (get back to that in a sec) When I walk in I get the usual stares and the teeth sucking. No problem. I'm a big girl.:ohwell:

So these three teenage girls come in. One young lady, who has to be 14 maybe 15 years old wants to get her hair pressed for a home coming dance tonight. She had the most beautiful 4a/b full APL, Rudy Huxtable virgin hair. I was wowed by it.:drunk: Her hair stylist (We'll call her Miss Thing) looks at her hair and says. "Oh girl you have mad split ends" (here we go) and then she says "Girl, your hair is dry and damaged" (here we really go). "I'm going to have cut your hair" (Miss Thing went there). This child's hair was BEAUTIFUL!!:wallbash: The look on that little girl's face was awful. Her eyes got big, and they started to swell like she wanted to cry. She didn't speak up. And I could have sworn one of her little "friends" that came with her smirked!:nono: All I could think is where is this child's mother! My right leg started bouncing. (I do that when I'm anxious)

So she goes to the wash bowl. I look at my friend that's doing my hair and she gives me the look like..."Girl I'm not in that." So she brings the child out and starts roughly detangling her hair with a rat tooth comb. Miss Thing would stop, pull hair out of the comb, drop it on the floor and starts detangling some more. She's just ripping into the child's hair. And the girls head is snapping back and forth. So by this time my leg is shaking and I'm rocking(I do that when I'm in full anxiety mode) It's killing me!

So I decided I can't take it anymore. If this child doesn't speak up I'm going to say something before she cuts this girls hair. Now I'm in the cut. I know if I say something to Miss Thing, it might turn into an ugly exchange. And I know my own APL, "straighter" hair is only going to aggravate the situation. So before I say anything I assess the situation. Sneakers on (check), Exit door to the left (check), main lights switches on wall by the dryers(check). Just in case I've got to kill the lights and back out this salon.

So right before I part my lips to speak, this little girls mother comes into the salon. And the little girl says. "Mama she says she gotta cut my hair" and the mother responds, looking right at Miss Thing... "If she cuts your hair imma cut her":lachen:

I've seen this situation time and time again in hair salons. When I was younger and didn't know any better, stylist would cut my hair all the time. Sometimes just grabbing the scissors and not saying anything to me. Do they really, as professionals feel, like all hair need to be cut first and then properly taken care of or is it just hating?:perplexed

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

msa

So right before I part my lips to speak, this little girls mother comes into the salon. And the little girl says. "Mama she says she gotta cut my hair" and the mother responds, looking right at Miss Thing... "If she cuts your hair imma cut her"

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Sounds like my mother. My mom did not play, she had hairdressers scared to do ANYTHING to our hair lest she start to act a fool.

I'm not into the word "hating"...I do think sometimes people are jealous and that's part of the reason why they cut. Also, a blunt cut gives the appearance of healthy, thicker, hair which makes the stylist look good and helps bring in clients. And cutting is an extra 10-15$ so it helps their pocket, especially because most women won't speak up to say no.

coconow2007

Too funny - I luved the part about your leg shaking and checking exits. But what the mom said was priceless:lachen::lachen:
What did the stylist say or do after that?

southerncitygirl

Lmao...go momma cut her to the white meat, hair haters irk the hell outta me. In general hair stylists are so lazy and want to cut your hair or not let it reach its fullest potential so you keep coming back like a sucka.

chebaby

op thats a tricky situation. if it were me i would have wanted to speak up too but like you said, doing that you dont know what you will run into. angry stylists, costumers ready to jump in, its just too tricky. im glad you did have to say anything in the end.

and im glad mama came in just in time.

Natirelle

Yes I remeber those days when the stylist see your hair looks perfectly healthy they decides its damage and you need a trim/cut.

fattyfatfat

im so glad the young girls mother walked in!!!!!

I used to let the salons cut my hair b/c I thought they ALWAYS knew best, but thanks to LHCF I know thats not true. I had to tell the stylist "NO" today because she wanted to cut my hair.

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
I don't think a stylist should cut a child's hair without speaking to the parent/guardian first. I'm so glad mom came in time, and I'm really glad you were going to stick up for her. In regards to her pulling the hair, some people should not be in the hair industry.

beans4reezy

This story had me rolling!! I am so glad the mom stepped in. These hair dresser stay coming at you to cut your hair. It just begs the question: are they as eager to cut their own hair as they are their clients?

isabella09

For a salon, longer or natural hair means less turn over of clients thus, less money for them; if your hair doesn’t fix their business model of fast easy cash, they will suggest and do things to make it conform :nono: This is one of many reasons why I’ve decided to be a DIYer. I’m so glad her mother stepped in just in time!

Bella_Atl

For a salon, longer or natural hair means less turn over of clients thus, less money for them; if your hair doesn’t fix their business plan of fast easy cash, they will be suggesting and doing things to make it conform to their model :nono: This is one of many reasons why I’ve decided to be a DIYer. I’m so glad her mother stepped in just in time!

YOu would think long and healthy hair would bring in more clients. Especially black hair salons. People ask me who does my hair all the time. They either recognize it's healthy, or they think it's a good weave. Either way, they want to know who does it. I spend an insane amount of money on hair products. I would pay 3 times that much for someone to take care of my hair and keep it healthy.:wallbash:

MarieB

What did the hairdresser's hair look like, BTW? I have a "friend" who I used to let cut my hair, but she was always taking too much off; IMO a trim should not consist of an inch unless you're MBL. So I finally told her, the last time she tried to come after me with the scissors, that I was trying to grow my hair out, and would dust my own ends as needed, thank you. Her hair is APL, by the way, so she might have just been trying to make sure no one has longer hair than her. Whatevs!

Glad the mom showed up, though. You know that woman would have scalped her.

Last edited:

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
glad her mom intervened. folks feel like they can do anything to anybody just because they feelin some type of way.

isabella09

YOu would think long and healthy hair would bring in more clients. Especially black hair salons. People ask me who does my hair all the time. They either recognize it's healthy, or they think it's a good weave. Either way, they want to know who does it. I spend an insane amount of money on hair products. I would pay 3 times that much for someone to take care of my hair and keep it healthy.:wallbash:

:yep: your absolutely right, I would pay the same amount too :wallbash:. For us It’s completely illogical for them it’s simple cash (and lack of knowledge) as it would take more time/care per client to achieve healthy long hair (whether it be relaxed or natural) and with a limited amount of stylists and time in the day it will absolutely affect their bottom-line. It's more preferable for them to have maximum cash spent per client with minimal time spent per stylist.
What’s funny to me is that they could achieve better long term profitability if they invested in the knowledge and health of their client's hair as they will in affect be able to charge whatever they wanted as most of us would pay a handsome sum for a good stylist/salon, will actually be able to enjoy our time there and will come back time and time again!

Last edited:

mstar

Luxury bacon
You told that story really well, OP. Had me on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next! :rofl:

dynamic1

I don't think a stylist should cut a child's hair without speaking to the parent/guardian first. I'm so glad mom came in time, and I'm really glad you were going to stick up for her. In regards to her pulling the hair, some people should not be in the hair industry.

I agree. When I wanted my hair tapered in the back as an early teen, my stylist refused to do it without asking my father first. I told her he would not care but she did not believe me. Even after he said she could, she still said no for a few months.

Hairology

I'm so glad you were ready to step in for that girl. She didn't know that she had a hair super hero ready to swoop in and save her.:superman:

Ann816

Okay I was dying in laughter over here when you mentioned doing your checks!!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: Sooooo glad her mom walked in!!!!!
That's one of the reasons my sister and I stopped going to hair salons a year ago!!!!!

Ann

So she goes to the wash bowl. I look at my friend that's doing my hair and she gives me the look like..."Girl I'm not in that." So she brings the child out and starts roughly detangling her hair with a rat tail comb. Miss Thing would stop, pull hair out of the comb, drop it on the floor and starts detangling some more. She's just ripping into the child's hair. And the girls head is snapping back and forth. So by this time my leg is shaking and I'm rocking(I do that when I'm in full anxiety mode) It's killing me!

So I decided I can't take it anymore. If this child doesn't speak up I'm going to say something before she cuts this girls hair. Now I'm in the cut. I know if I say something to Miss Thing, it might turn into an ugly exchange. And I know my own APL, hair is only going to aggravate the situation. So before I say anything I assess the situation. Sneakers on (check), Exit door to the left (check), main lights switches on wall by the dryers(check). Just in case I've got to kill the lights and back out this salon.

Lucia

:yep: your absolutely right, I would pay the same amount too :wallbash:. For us It’s completely illogical for them it’s simple cash (and lack of knowledge) as it would take more time/care per client to achieve healthy long hair (whether it be relaxed or natural) and with a limited amount of stylists and time in the day it will absolutely affect their bottom-line. It's more preferable for them to have maximum cash spent per client with minimal time spent per stylist.
What’s funny to me is that they could achieve better long term profitability if they invested in the knowledge and health of their client's hair as they will in affect be able to charge whatever they wanted as most of us would pay a handsome sum for a good stylist/salon, will actually be able to enjoy our time there and will come back time and time again!

Some LHCF members who are also stylists or becoming stylists should open a new concept salon geared to long healthy hair, relaxed or natural they would get mad rich off that.
OP glad you were ready to jump in, if that stylist had cut that girls hair and mom walked in after it porb would have been a bar brawl

Ann816

From my experience in going to salons in the past most of them wore weave (nothing again weave ladies!) It just made me wonder what their own hair look like.

Ann

This story had me rolling!! I am so glad the mom stepped in. These hair dresser stay coming at you to cut your hair. It just begs the question: are they as eager to cut their own hair as they are their clients?

preciouslove0x

i'm laughing sooo hard from this story right now. i think we should definitely start a thread with stories pertaining to hair. ha that would be the best thread ever

Twix

Oh man. You're such a good story teller. You had me in suspense. I was gonna cry if she cut that little girl's hair, but hoorah for mama to the rescue!

Twix

This is also why I don't go to hair salons, nail salons, get pedicures... any of that stuff. The most I ever really get done is my eyebrows, and since I can't find a woman that can do my eyebrows half as well as my favorite waxer in MI well... had to teach myself to do that myself, too (though once I did wax off my whole right eyebrow...)

ycammyy

Girlllllll! You had me about to jump out of my chair! TOOO Funny!:lachen: Thank God the mother walked in. I am trying to image what the salon would have looked liked if she was a minute late after the first snip:wallbash: