Why so much HATE in the hair salon? Kinda long..

msbettyboop

:lachen:. OMG! This is so funny. Good thing mama came to the rescue.

Reminds me of the time when I went to a salon about 8 years ago for a roller set. Immediately the stylist saw my hair she went "God, you've got damage all over. We have to cut it." I was like no thank you. Just the roller set for today will be fine. But as soon as she finished washing my hair, she came at me with a pair of scissors and I was like NO but she started arguing vehemently with me then the owner joined her and started arguing with me as well. Crazy stylist on the left with scissors, crazy owner on the right looking menacing. She looked like she would stab me if I didn't let her cut my hair. After nearly 15 mins of arguing they let it be and i got a roller set without a cut but I left that salon thinking, "I bet there are long haired women buried under their floorboards for refusing to cut their hair". I never set foot in the salon again.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I had a similar situation happen to me when I first moved back to s.c. My hairstylist in ATL took very good care of my hair so when I came home I went to a salon that A friend recommended for a relaxer. Well, I thought the hs was trimming my ends but while under the dryer I noticed I could not feel my hair on my back so I looked in a mirror (beside me) and saw what looked like shoulder length hair (my hair was near waist length) I was steaming. When I got from under the dryer I told her about it and she said my hair was damaged, of course I knew it was not and I told her so. and on top of that my hair did not look like it was relaxed if anything it looked worse. I was angry about that for weeks....

Wow Toyia, sorry to hear that:sad:How did you walk out of that salon without catching a case?

Mz.MoMo5235

i'm tellin yall!!! these need to be considered hate crimes!!! i too am a victim of this as recently as last week!!!

we need to hold hands and pray!!!!

Bella_Atl

What would you have said, OP, if the mom hadn't stepped in? I was thinking something like, "Girl, you better ask her mom before you touch her hair... you know how folks be acting about their kids..." Like to try to play it off so she doesn't get all ghetto with you, but still helpin the girl to get off the hook? Or is that a little too nice?

I was going to casually ask the girl.."Does your mama know you are going to cut your hair? Because my mama would have killed me if I cut my hair without her permission!"

I would not have spoken directly to the stylist. 1. I was hoping the mother was coming and the stylist would hear that or 2. I was hoping the girl would be more scared of her mother than the stylist and speak up.

I honestly I would have never gotten involved if that child had not looked like she wanted to cry. It was her first home coming dance too. That stylist would just have ruined it for her.:wallbash:

But do you know what's really sad? My friend sent me this YouTube video last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pXqiJb1jfM&feature=related

This really happens! That's why you HAVE to asses the situation BEFORE you speak. By law all exit signs have to be lit in case of a fire. If its looking bad cut the lights out and break for the door!!

Last edited:

BostonMaria

OP, when I was 10 years old my aunt dropped me off at the salon and came back when they were done. I went from long hair to nape length at this crazy woman's hands. I'll never forget the saddness and sick feeling in my stomach as she took out the rollers. I was taught to be respectful to my elders so I sat there and just cried inside.

Fast forward to today and when I take my daughters to the salon I'm IN THE STYLIST'S FACE all up in there to make sure absolutely no scissors are taken out. If I do give permission, trust me its more like a damn dusting LOL I'm even over protective of my oldest daughter's hair and she's 20!

MangaManiac

Ugh...as funny as that story was it just reminds me of when I was a child. Then I had a series of braiders who REFUSED to cut my hair. Once I even asked this stylist of mine who had almost knee length hair if I could get a trim and a relaxer and she said no.

She asked, "Why do you want to cut off all that pretty hair? Let me just look over your ends and put you in some braids so they won't break off."

That was the end of that. My hair was between APL and BSL before I finally decided to do a BC. I did have damaged ends due to my heat styling and non-existent hair care, so it had to happen. But I bet you anything if my mother was still alive she would have forced me to hang on to those ends until I was TBL!

nikki2229

How did the young girls' hair look when she left the salon?
Did the stylist have an attitude the rest of the time when she was doing her hair?

Bachelorette

Not a word...lol!

That goes to show that she was indeed "hating". If she really believed the girl needed to get a trim, she would have explained to the mom the reason for it. Bitter lunatics. Soooo soooo happy the mom came in just in time. Disgusting tarts. Lol they've got me all upset :wallbash:

BlkRushhin

This was one of the best posts ever!

I just hate reading these stories, including all the other posters with similar stories. It's just so violating when people do unnecessary things to you that you ask them not to.

weaveadiva

Reminds me of the time when I went to a salon about 8 years ago for a roller set. Immediately the stylist saw my hair she went "God, you've got damage all over. We have to cut it." I was like no thank you. Just the roller set for today will be fine. But as soon as she finished washing my hair, she came at me with a pair of scissors and I was like NO but she started arguing vehemently with me then the owner joined her and started arguing with me as well. Crazy stylist on the left with scissors, crazy owner on the right looking menacing. She looked like she would stab me if I didn't let her cut my hair. After nearly 15 mins of arguing they let it be and i got a roller set without a cut

my goodness are you kidding me?! this is so unprofessional :nono: if anything the owner should have been on your side...what happened to "the customer is always right? customer service?

Duchesse

BellaATL, I'm so happy that you were ready to stand up for that poor child! She probably would have had her hair chopped off if her mother didn't step in. I for the life of me do not understand, why go into the business if you are a hater? Or if you are a hater, do something about it and grow your own darn hair. That type of stuff gets me hyped up.

lovinglength

Love how you told the story. That "stylist" didnt know what she was doing...to detangle all that hair with a rattail?...that mistake alone wouldve gotten her fired from my salon (if I had one). And from what you said...she only focused on the negatives and getting rid of her hair, instead of focusing on the positive and healing the hair...I've been in a similar situation andfrom my own experience, I'm going to assume the stylist was prob jealous.

msbettyboop

my goodness are you kidding me?! this is so unprofessional :nono: if anything the owner should have been on your side...what happened to "the customer is always right? customer service?

I kid you not. They were both crazy. I think they just really hated my great big head of hair and wanted to make it as short as theirs. I don't know what the deal is about that and stylists. They all want to cut your hair, not trim, not dust, CUT.

Bella_Atl

How did the young girls' hair look when she left the salon?
Did the stylist have an attitude the rest of the time when she was doing her hair?

The little girl came in after me and I left before her The stylist was blowdrying her hair out when I left, but Mama was sitting in the chair looking heated. The stylist seemed fine.

But when women in a hair salon start talking about cutting each other it was time for me to go anyway.:lachen:

FluffyRed

I think it is hate.

They're already kinda hair obsessed to be in that line of business.

Then they, like many of us, have the anti-napp program installed early.

And let someone come in with longer or a "better grade" of hair than they have.

I strongly believe many black hairstylists exorcise their personal demons on their clients' heads.

Luscious Locks

I think it is hate.

I strongly believe many black hairstylists exorcise their personal demons on their clients' heads.

That is deep... and very true in some cases.

Rei

I think it is hate.

I"m sorry but you had me rollin' at anti-napp program :lachen::lachen:so true! If I have to explain one more time at a salon that I don't want a relaxer I'mma cut someone myself.

And when I was relaxed they were all after me to get a press! (with a relaxer?:huh:), now that I want a press, they're after me to get a relaxer. You just can't win:nono:

MizzCoco

My leg was twitching just reading this story! I'm so glad the little girls momma came back in time! Great story

jasminea

I've seen this situation time and time again in hair salons. When I was younger and didn't know any better, stylist would cut my hair all the time. Sometimes just grabbing the scissors and not saying anything to me. Do they really, as professionals feel, like all hair need to be cut first and then properly taken care of or is it just hating?:perplexed

I'm a grown woman and have had stylist start cutting my hair while I was distracted with a book or magazine. Once they start, you can either leave lop-sided or just let them have at it and make up your mind to never use them again (as well as give them a piece of your mind as to why you will not be returning).

I think it is so disrespectful to start doing something like cutting to someones hair without specifically asking what I want. It's as if they think they are the authority on your hair and that your opinion is irrelevant.:wallbash:

I now have a stylist who I truly feels get my desire to grow my hair long, but even she has a tendency to suggest a trim (1 inches plus each trim) when I relax 3 times a year. So the second I get in her chair and we get going with the relaxer, I make a point of telling her if I DO or DO NOT want a "trim". And if I do want one I give her specifics like "No more than and inch" and have her show me the amount she intends to cut so I can confirm she still remembers what an inch looks like!:perplexed

jasminea

I think it is hate.

Unfortunately many of the "best" stylist in my area have the most jacked up hair I've ever seen. Most have short neck length relaxed hair with no life or body. One of the most popular actually wears hats to work most days to hide her shamefully poorly kept hair.

My number one requirement for a sylist is that she has to be healthy hair minded and my number two requirement is that she has to prove her skills on her own head!

If I see a sylist with nice healthy hair ask who does her hair and go to that person if she doesn't do her own!:drunk:

Everything Zen

YOu would think long and healthy hair would bring in more clients. Especially black hair salons. People ask me who does my hair all the time. They either recognize it's healthy, or they think it's a good weave. Either way, they want to know who does it. I spend an insane amount of money on hair products. I would pay 3 times that much for someone to take care of my hair and keep it healthy.:wallbash:

Seriously though- I am sooo extra nice whenever I go to a hair salon and that's why I always give a huge tip. I tip EVERYONE who touches my hair- the girl at the wash bowl, the person that blowdries me out, etc.

goodmorningruby

:lachen:. OMG! This is so funny. Good thing mama came to the rescue.

Reminds me of the time when I went to a salon about 8 years ago for a roller set. Immediately the stylist saw my hair she went "God, you've got damage all over. We have to cut it." I was like no thank you. Just the roller set for today will be fine. But as soon as she finished washing my hair, she came at me with a pair of scissors and I was like NO but she started arguing vehemently with me then the owner joined her and started arguing with me as well. Crazy stylist on the left with scissors, crazy owner on the right looking menacing. She looked like she would stab me if I didn't let her cut my hair. After nearly 15 mins of arguing they let it be and i got a roller set without a cut but I left that salon thinking, "I bet there are long haired women buried under their floorboards for refusing to cut their hair". I never set foot in the salon again.

Ugh, wth? How is she gonna argue with you about YOUR hair? The way I look at these "professionals" hurt themselves more than anything, because I've noticed most of the time salons are chosen based on word of mouth. Um...hello...customer service isn't just a concept, it's important if you want to maintain a profitable clientele. Even in the case that the hair is tore up, if the paying customer doesn't want scissors all up in her hair, then let it go and keep it movin'. Smh. The temerity of some people...

I am a complete DIYer and intend to stay one.

Bene

I realized a long time ago that if I went to a salon and showed my length first, the stylists would take their sweet time before someone volunteered to see me. Mainly because they pretty much expect to be blowing out hair and after a certain length, it's a pain in the @ss to deal with. Once my sister and I went in together and both of us had BSL at the time, and the woman did us both one at a time, so at one point she says "I suppose today was my day to get the hairy people"

Nowadays, I only go to the salon for a trim (maybe every 3 to 4 months), but I go in with my hair freshly washed and still damp, but in bun. I talk to the lady first to tell her that I'm not in there for a wash or dry, just the trim. And then I insist on half an inch (even showing her what half an inch is) until she understands that I'm not playing around on what half an inch is. Once I'm sure that is settled, THEN I'll take my hair down. Then while they're cutting, I'm eyeing them in the mirror. Sometimes they'll think this is funny and show me how much they took off at the first snip, and to be honest, I don't care that they're laughing at my half inch neuroses.

I found this dominican salon that was just opening in my area, it was their first day and I was their very first customer :) That's where I've been going for my last few trims. The last time I went, the lady asked me if I wanted her to blow dry or deep condition or roller set my hair. I was like "No, just the half inch" so while she was cutting, she asked my why I didn't want her to do blow out my hair, and I told her that heat is damaging. She looked at me like I was crazy and said "But your hair isn't damaged!" and I told her "That's because I don't use heat :D"

Lucia

I realized a long time ago that if I went to a salon and showed my length first, the stylists would take their sweet time before someone volunteered to see me. Mainly because they pretty much expect to be blowing out hair and after a certain length, it's a pain in the @ss to deal with. Once my sister and I went in together and both of us had BSL at the time, and the woman did us both one at a time, so at one point she says "I suppose today was my day to get the hairy people"

Nowadays, I only go to the salon for a trim (maybe every 3 to 4 months), but I go in with my hair freshly washed and still damp, but in bun. I talk to the lady first to tell her that I'm not in there for a wash or dry, just the trim. And then I insist on half an inch (even showing her what half an inch is) until she understands that I'm not playing around on what half an inch is. Once I'm sure that is settled, THEN I'll take my hair down. Then while they're cutting, I'm eyeing them in the mirror. Sometimes they'll think this is funny and show me how much they took off at the first snip, and to be honest, I don't care that they're laughing at my half inch neuroses.

I found this dominican salon that was just opening in my area, it was their first day and I was their very first customer :) That's where I've been going for my last few trims. The last time I went, the lady asked me if I wanted her to blow dry or deep condition or roller set my hair. I was like "No, just the half inch" so while she was cutting, she asked my why I didn't want her to do blow out my hair, and I told her that heat is damaging. She looked at me like I was crazy and said "But your hair isn't damaged!" and I told her "That's because I don't use heat :D"

That's the way to do it, don't play, don't let them turn you away from the mirror, keep your eyes on them all the time, make sure to show them the length don't just say 1/2 inch, cause their half inch is not the same a yours. Way to be assertive and walk out with your dignity.