Wig Cap or Baggy-Help!

Platinum

I know this is a silly topic but I need some help. I took my braids down last night and bought a wig. I have a few questions. The girl at the BSS said that I need a wig cap so I bought one.

Is it necessary to wear one? It's uncomfortable, it feels like it's cutting circulation off to my head. I've read a few posts that some ladies wear a baggy under their wigs. What do you suggest? If you suggest baggying, what should I apply to my hair?

Help me out here ladies, please.

Caramela

I'm not a baggy'er. That tell-tale plastic crunch sound would drive me crazy not to mention be HOT :lachen: I do use a wig cap but some people don't like putting nylon on their hair. The nylon is def the less of the two evils compared to letting your hair rub against the rough innards of the wig.

naturalgurl

I'm not a baggy'er. That tell-tale plastic crunch sound would drive me crazy not to mention be HOT :lachen: I do use a wig cap but some people don't like putting nylon on their hair. The nylon is def the less of the two evils compared to letting your hair rub against the rough innards of the wig.

Girl, I can see sweat just pouring from under that wig!:lachen: But I hear some ladies only put the baggy on a ponytail under a wig. Maybe that would be better...dunno, just adding a 1/2 of a cent!

princessdi

I wear a baggie and it doesn't bother me unless I'm running and then it becomes a problem because of the sweat, but by the time I get home, my hair is nice and moisturized. I do run a moisturizer/strengthener in my hair before putting on the baggie. IMO it works a lot better than wearing the wig cap. That thing gave me a headache because it was too tight.

nomadpixi

I use a plastic conditioning cap with Vatika or deep conditioner on dry hair. It really helps retain moisture. You actually hardly hear the plasticy sound :spinning:

My SO hates wigs, so I don't do this as often as I'd like, but it really does help retain moisture and elasticity in the hair. Give it a try for a week. You should notice a nice change.

The other thing that could protect your hair under a wig is just cornrowing. Keeps the rubbing to a minimum.

HTH

MJ

Wig caps give me headaches. I wear a black satin doo-rag under my wig. I roll and then tuck the ends along one side of my head. I've been using it for months now. It works great. I tried using the satin scarf, but the doo-rag is less bulky and fits better on the head because it is made to fit the shape of the head.

ETA: I tried baggying under my wig. I stopped because I wanted to baggy at night (to combat the dryness of the heater) and baggying 24 hours would have been too much for me.

Last edited:

Platinum

Thank you so much for your help! I ended up taking the wig cap off because I couldn't take it any longer! It was just too tight! You would think that when they say "one size fits all" it would really mean ALL.:lachen:I think I'll try baggying because my hair is extremely dry right now. Then, I'll try the satin doo rag.