WIG CHALLENGE 2009

mz. new~new

This looks really good!!! Have you done any tutorials for wig making??? If not, would you possibly do one?? That looks so realistic. I would love to make a wig like that!

Thanks! I thought about doing one but got lazy... I'll definitely let you know when i make a tutorial :yep:.

morehairplease

Love the wig mz. new~ new.:yep: My birthday is coming up and I have plans to purchase three new half wigs. Hopefully, the bss in Bartlett will have the wigs at a reasonable price and I will not have to order them online.

Bachelorette

wig wearers, how are you girls protecting your edges

I started getting into wigs (gonna start half wigs when I re-touch on Sunday) and people tend to mention thin edges being a "side effect". How do you avoid this?

also are there any SATIN wig caps?

TIA!

Aggie

ladies I have not dropped out of this challenge, I am simply wearing some extension braids for a while because I ma in the Crown & Glory challenge as well. Will be back to update when i take these braids down:yep:.

aa9746

wig wearers, how are you girls protecting your edges

I started getting into wigs (gonna start half wigs when I re-touch on Sunday) and people tend to mention thin edges being a "side effect". How do you avoid this?

also are there any SATIN wig caps?

TIA!

I've worn satin caps, but I basically wear stocking caps. I don't have problems with my edges. I moisturize daily, use Castor oil on my edges, deep condition weekly, and baggy 2 or more nights a week.

Belle Du Jour

That looks good Mz New~New!

I'm still wearing the wigs daily. I can definitely see that my hair is growing. :clap: My hair grows really slowly and I've accepted that. In the past, it's caused me to relax and go back to natural several times. But the wigs are helping me to stay the course.

thatscuteright

Hey better late than never right:yep:? I am sure Curlidiva will let you join. I just wanted to compliment you on your skills. I love the half wig you made! Thanks so much for posting your video- you definitely gave me some ideas. I do something similar but instead of glue I just sew the tracks on. I am thinking the glue would be much faster, but I would be so scared a track would come flying off:lachen:. Here is how I made my last wig which I love http://public.fotki.com/SelfStyled/2009/homeade-kinky-strai/

I am about to get really creative and actually make a wig where I will have the horseshoe out that way I will be able to do a middle or side part.

Your wig in the video looks great. What kind of hair did you use ?

morehairplease

Ladies wearing the sensationnel brand of half wigs: does the front or back comb take out any of your hair when you are putting them in? My hairline is very fragile and I would love to start wearing half wigs but after taking a look at several youtubers vids on the sensationnel brands the combs have me scared.
tia,
tishee

CurliDiva

Ladies wearing the sensationnel brand of half wigs: does the front or back comb take out any of your hair when you are putting them in? My hairline is very fragile and I would love to start wearing half wigs but after taking a look at several youtubers vids on the sensationnel brands the combs have me scared.
tia,
tishee

Hi Tishee,

I always remove the combs from all my wigs and just secure them with either the adjustable straps or bobby pins.

Some ladies have suggested rubbing the combs with an oil so that they will glide through your hairline without ripping.

I've never had a problem with using just bobby pins!:yep:

MJ

i'm back on the wig bandwagon... i made this one on a stocking cap last Friday. this weekend i plan to make a half wig...

I saw your stocking wig pictures today and then proceeded to spend the next four hours looking at youtube videos on how to make them. I learned alot. I want to make one!

ETA: I'm still going strong in this challenge. I'm looking forward to seeing how long my hair has grown. I will straighten it in December :).

Last edited:

locabouthair

Hi Tishee,

I always remove the combs from all my wigs and just secure them with either the adjustable straps or bobby pins.

Some ladies have suggested rubbing the combs with an oil so that they will glide through your hairline without ripping.

I've never had a problem with using just bobby pins!:yep:

I was going to say the same thing. Take those combs out! They will cause breakage. I always take mine out and use bobby pins or clips. I've been wearing a half wig for 4 months and I have no problems with my hair line.

morehairplease

I was going to say the same thing. Take those combs out! They will cause breakage. I always take mine out and use bobby pins or clips. I've been wearing a half wig for 4 months and I have no problems with my hair line.
will do sweetie! do you mind me asking what to use to take the combs out with? I saw wig clips on gmbs.com and put them on the list to purchase with the half wig. I hope the store has them in stock if not I will have to order them online.

locabouthair

will do sweetie! do you mind me asking what to use to take the combs out with? I saw wig clips on gmbs.com and put them on the list to purchase with the half wig. I hope the store has them in stock if not I will have to order them online.

I usually cut the thread thats connected to the combs.

mz. new~new

It looks nice! Do you make your wigs because it's cheaper than buying one??

Thanks! Yes it is cheaper and the last hh wig I bought in a similar style was too thin and i ended up wearing it pinned up everyday. This way I can control the style and how much hair is used.

DivaD04

ladies, is anyone using supertape for their lace wigs? if so, what kind and is it waterproof. just in case i decide to want to go for a swim. i don't want my wig to be tredding the water. i want to get the supertape roll (3yds) it says it can last up to 5wks dependind on the level of activity but it doesn't say waterpproof. i'm going to get this tape for my everyday tape but i want to know if there is a waterproof tape available as well. plz help a sister out. i'm not too sure about buying glue. i have to poo my hair too often and the glue will be a bit too much for me.

aa9746

ladies, is anyone using supertape for their lace wigs? if so, what kind and is it waterproof. just in case i decide to want to go for a swim. i don't want my wig to be tredding the water. i want to get the supertape roll (3yds) it says it can last up to 5wks dependind on the level of activity but it doesn't say waterpproof. i'm going to get this tape for my everyday tape but i want to know if there is a waterproof tape available as well. plz help a sister out. i'm not too sure about buying glue. i have to poo my hair too often and the glue will be a bit too much for me.

I don't use tape or glue so bumping for you.

morehairplease

I purchased my first half wig yesterday. It's the Freetress Sophia girl. The bss did not have the vanilla girl in the color I wanted(1b) so I only purchased one. I plan on looking online at youtube videos and making a list to place an online order b/c the selection at the store here was horrible.

Last edited:

Lovestyr

Yeah, i personally purchase all my wigs online. The local BSS are usually overpriced and have a minmum choice of selection of wigs that I like. Also, if you order online they give you discounts for reordering with them and they have sales all the time. Heres a few sites I order from quite frequently:

1) Blackhairspray.com
2.) Clairhair.com
3.) Hairsisters.com
4.)besthairworld.com

BTW: They are in order of which sites I like the best and which have the fast shipping and they actually answer your emails and calls. lol

Last edited: