WIG CHALLENGE 2010

JJamiah

So many women love Bali Girl. I bought it and I detest how it looks. I refuse to leave the house wearing it, I feel like a fool when I have it on. It just doesn't look good on me. *shrug*

I pLayed with Baligirl for about 4 hours before I left the house with it. I hated it out the bag, I posted a few links but because I hate wasting money I fixed her *** till I liked it! :look:

So trust me I know what your talking about!!!! I wasn't impressed but now she is wearable atleast won't be rebuying it!

MizzBrown

I love wearing my half wigs but the problem is that once my NG starts coming in after a fresh relaxer, i have to put my half-wigs away since there's no way in hell to blend in the 2 textures.

If the wig doesnt look natural, i dont want it. Which is why I loved half-wigs so much cause you could SEE my real hair blended in. Never seen a full cap that looks natural and I aint about to take up time doing that lace stuff.

How do yall find half-wigs that blend in with your NG WAY after a fresh relaxer?

LadyPaniolo

^^ I'm natural and I wear half wigs that are straight textured. I use the scarf method to make my real hair lay down, put on the half wig and a headband and keep it pushing. Only about an inch or 1.5 inches of my real hair is showing. I don't care if it doesn't hold up to intense scrutiny, if anybody is in my head that tough *shrugs* then they can just cope with the fact I'm wearing a half wig.

MizzBrown

^^Yeah, i use the scarf method too. Got my hair wrapped up tight right now and i'm just 4 weeks post. Trying to lay it down so i can wear a wig tomorrow. But after another couple weeks, I can forget it. Scarf can't really lay down my naps and I really go for wigs that look like MY hair....

I do have a ton of headbands to cover up the line but I'm such a stickler for making it look as real as possible. One little nap here, and type 1 way over there is so obvious to me.

No one makes half-wigs with a little more texture as to blend better when you're 2-4 months post? That's the time when I want to hide my hair and stretch but I can't. There is no wig to match.

bellesocialite

I'm thinking of joining this challenge since I got into half wigs recently but I have the same concerns about NG as MizzBrown. Would getting a curly wig like Outre's Polly to make blending easier?

LadyPaniolo

I've seen some half wigs that have a curlier texture and wouldn't be a dead give-away with a nappy hairline, lol. I mean, if you look at women who relax, lots of times the length of thier hair is bone straight and those roots are nappy when it's just about relaxer time. So it's not like having a the same setup with your wig is going to blow up your spot, lol. People may just think you are due for a relaxer.

If you aren't cool with wearing them, that's your bizness of course :lol: I'm just explaining why I don't sweat it too tough.

Jeech

I cornrowed my own hair today then put on the wig without a wig cap today and my head does not feel tight at all as compared to when I wear a wig cap. :yep: So I think I will stick to cornrows under my wig and ensure I use some pins so the wig doesn't fly away.

I also bought 2 cute head bands that I can use to kind of diversify my wig styles! Thank you ladies for the good advice on protecting edges under the wig!

BellaLunie

My wigs just arrived in the mail. I'm not mad any more. :grin:
Well not too mad, at least I have one of the two orders.

I'm trying to attach a photo of the model inspire 2. I dont have time to cut the lace or tweak yet.

How do you like the Inspire? I had it in my cart but I decided against it

My favorite wig style is a chin length bob! DH is like :huh: But I feel like the longer styles often look fake. When I wear a chin length wig, everyone thinks it's my real hair. I had one by Motown Tress called Beyonce (even though it looked NOTHING like her hair) and my MIL and SIL were like "see! Your real hair is pretty, no need to wear fake hair all the time!" :rofl:

I think this might be my next purchase. How long did it hold up for you?

BellaLunie

oh yea here's my starting pic
sorry my bathroom was foggy. I plan on wiggin it w cornrows underneath and dcing at least 2x a wk

lwilliams1922

How do you like the Inspire? I had it in my cart but I decided against it

I like the Inspire so far. I would have to give it a 7 of 10.
The hair is soft and smooth but they all are when the come out of the pack :0 The cap is a little tight on me. It doesn't completely cover the hair line before my ears.

Yesterday was the first day I wore it and I noticed the hair in the back was starting to bunch up when I took it off. I think I will have a better opinion on it after a week. Since I got it on sale I'm still glad I got it.

I took a few photos of it this afternoon and I'll add it a bit later.

In this order I also got QUICK WEAVE SYNTHETIC 3/4 WIG (COMPLETE CAP) CIARA.
http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/Vie...it=30&value1=CIARA&value2=0&value3=0&search=0

Lady S

Ladies, I have a couple of questions for you!

How are you choosing your wig styles? Do you think about your day/work style? Do you think about your social/private life appeal? Or want a whole new persona?

Are you wig(s) style close to your real hair (in color or texture) or close to your dream hair or just totally a random choice of color, style and texture?

After a year of playing around, I've basically figured out what works for me. I deal better with wavy hair and spiral curls. Shoulder length or shorter. I tried to a couple of straight, long haired wigs and they got on my dang nerves. I was so frustrated at work trying to deal with the hair going into my face. Anything past my shoulders will also annoy the crap out of me. I also get annoyed with bangs. So, it's all been a matter of trial and error. With color, I've been playing it safe with 1, 1b, and 2 recently. I did have a half wig streaked in burgundy that I LOVED! And one that was streaked with blonde. I have a love of red & burgundy hair.

I have been more cautious with color, because I was scared of looking "ghetto," but screw it. I like burgundy hair. The nice thing about wigs is that you can get one that looks professional for interviews and one that's a little crazy for whenever. The styles I've picked that I know won't annoy me are just the ones that catch my attention. I will say that I do pick longer hair for winter and shorter hair for summer.

I don't think any of my wigs look like my real hair or even what I'd like my real hair to look like. What's the fun in that? :grin:

I could write a whole essay on wigs. I think I just did, to be honest. :giggle:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Ladies, I have a couple of questions for you!

How are you choosing your wig styles? Do you think about your day/work style? Do you think about your social/private life appeal? Or want a whole new persona?

For example….

When I first started my journey - although my hair is natural and I ultimately want a big lion mane of coils - in my wig choices I was not ready for that level of boldness yet, so I wore APL straight looks.

I did get to the point where I started wearing curly/coily wigs that would resemble my hair once it got longer, which I think is very important for anyone transitioning and needs to get “used” to natural hair.

This summer I was feeling very grown and sexy and wore - and I wore a waist-length bohemian coils.

I went thru a phase earlier this fall where I wanted SHORT hair (please don't revoke my LHCF membership) so I started wearing chin length roller-set looking style which has been a total man MAGNET!

Now, after watching YouTube all night – I think I narrowed down my new buys. Maybe, I thinking this thru too deeply :spinning: but was just curious about your decision making process….

Are you wig(s) style close to your real hair (in color or texture) or close to your dream hair or just totally a random choice of color, style and texture?

I am not really into straight looks I like curls and waves, long and short. If I like it I want it regardless of work and school.:look:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Do any of you ladiesknow where Carmen can be purchased from, she is basically the twin to Bali Girl by Freetress. Oh I am not sure of the brand......

Neek-a-Nator

Ok ladies I have the Tammy HW I took pics of, I have absolutely no idea how to post them in the thread but I created a album so you can go check it out to see what it looks like in real life.

ETA: the album is in my profile

Last edited:

Loves Harmony

Hello everyone! Hope you guys have a Happy New Years.... I can wait to see what my hair looks like after the wigs challenge is complete yayay

DivaD04

curldiva, i want to start. i need to buy some more tape though. i don't really care for the glue since it was such a hassle as my 3 month ps.
i'm using heat this year b/c wng's are a major setback for me. i did buy a hana elite though. i need to keep my hair straight b/c i severely battle single strand knots and split ends. i'm now, i'm off to purchase tape and a wig cap and REAL silk for protection or maybe i can line my lace wig with real silk so i won't have to wear a cap.

SelfStyled

Neek- The Tammy looks soooooo good on you!!! That wig looked so dumb on me, but on you it is perfection.

SelfStyled

I love wearing my half wigs but the problem is that once my NG starts coming in after a fresh relaxer, i have to put my half-wigs away since there's no way in hell to blend in the 2 textures.

If the wig doesnt look natural, i dont want it. Which is why I loved half-wigs so much cause you could SEE my real hair blended in. Never seen a full cap that looks natural and I aint about to take up time doing that lace stuff.

How do yall find half-wigs that blend in with your NG WAY after a fresh relaxer?

A kinky straight wig might work for you. This texture is not silk/shiny/straight like I have found most wigs to be.The motown town tress LG 28 might work for you - it matches my relaxed texture perfectly. The wig is not shiny at all, and still has slight crinkles in it that look like airdried/or lightly flat ironed hair might look. The only problem is that the wig is stick straight. I love this wig so much that I have two. One that I wear straight and one that I used the Ziplock method to curl the ends.

This is the Manuf. pic of the LG 28...
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...prev=/images?q=motown+tress+lg+28&gbv=2&hl=en

I probably would have never bought this wig based on that pic, but I saw a review on BHM, and I just loved it. Here are her pics...

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=211690&KW=

My pics:

No matter how many weeks post I am this wig always works for me HTH.

Neek-a-Nator

Or maybe she can wear a headband with no hair left out. In my pics with the Tammy HW, I had no hair left out with a headband and I'm 6 months 3 weeks post. HTH.

SelfStyled that HW looks really natural on you.

ResultsMayVary

I'm in!

I only lasted in the weave challenge 2 weeks :nono:
I need to be able to get to my hair and care for it and with wigs I have that option.

Last year I was in this challenge (my sn was missconstrued then) but I wore mostly lace wigs, this year I am only going to wear half wigs.. I'm sure my wallet and hairline will appreciate this switch

My goal is to get to APL (unstretched)

My regimen will remain about the same from last year (my products will most likely change so I will come back later to update)

• Co-wash every 3 days
  • Protein and DC treatment weekly
  • Moisturize daily with some type of spray

I am happy to be in this challenge again, it helped me get to APL (stretched) last year :grin:

Here is my starting length photo
my goal is to get to full SL (unstretched) by Dec 2010

(feels good to be home lol)
Much luck to all ..

SelfStyled

Just wondering wig challengers...

Do you wear braids under your wigs? If you do... how often do you redo the braids?
Do you wash and DC in your braids?

Bluetopia

OMG! :blush:

Your hair is gorgeous! If mine looked like that you wouldn't be able to tell me nothing lol

I'm with you on the half wig thing. I need access to my scalp and to look cute on a dime. So for me it's a perfect fit.

I'm in!

I only lasted in the weave challenge 2 weeks :nono:
I need to be able to get to my hair and care for it and with wigs I have that option.

Last year I was in this challenge (my sn was missconstrued then) but I wore mostly lace wigs, this year I am only going to wear half wigs.. I'm sure my wallet and hairline will appreciate this switch

My goal is to get to APL (unstretched)

My regimen will remain about the same from last year (my products will most likely change so I will come back later to update)

• Co-wash every 3 days
  • Protein and DC treatment weekly
  • Moisturize daily with some type of spray
I am happy to be in this challenge again, it helped me get to APL (stretched) last year :grin:

Here is my starting length photo my goal is to get to full SL (unstretched) by Dec 2010

(feels good to be home lol)
Much luck to all ..

TeeDee66

I found a 4a ponytail that matches my hair exactly. So most people don't know I'm wearing a fakey. A hairstylist told me to use it to give my hair a styling break every now and then; and I must say it allows deep conditioning and growth provided it's not attached too tight. It's great to know that when it comes off your real hair is conditioned and not damaged.

Last edited:

BellaLunie

Just wondering wig challengers...

Do you wear braids under your wigs? If you do... how often do you redo the braids?
Do you wash and DC in your braids?

I'm fairly new to this but I'm cornrowing about 10-15 braids straight back and taking them down weekly(every Weds) and I'll take them down to dc etc and redo them the next day. I might dc on Weds and Sat but I'm not sure yet

Neek-a-Nator

I put 7 braids going straight bak, I chose 7 because I put 1 in the middle and 3 on each side of that so you don't see a part going down the middle. I keep them in 4-6 weeks and I wash and DC with them in place.