WIG CHALLENGE 2010

CurliDiva

Hi Ladies,

Quick question...

So, I finally took out my sew-in, cornrowed, and wigged it today. (Apparently, everyone's fooled because my wig looks just like my weave. Yay!) BUT...here's the issue. I hate that bumpy feeling when I run my hands over my head. I tried to do my cornrows fairly small (there are only 7...) and close to my scalp, but it still feels so strange. And I can't just wrap my hair since I'm natural and trying to avoid unnecessary tangles.

Any ideas on how to combat the bumpiness? :ohwell:

Hi Ellceee,

The bumpiness is just your hair!

The only solution is to make more (at least 10-12) cornrows!

I have lot of hair and a big head - and have 17 cornrows!

Your cornrows don't have to be perfect since no one will see them - just make sure each section is detangled and moisturized before braiding.

This also helps me to be able to get to all of my scalp (more parts means more exposed scalp) and also my products is getting to all of my hair not just the top layer of the braid.

:yep: Good luck,
CD

filthyfresh

I think I'm going to join this challenge. I want to do a big chop, but I'm not completely comfy with rocking a TWA. Consider me in.

ellcee34

Hi Ellceee,

The bumpiness is just your hair!

The only solution is to make more (at least 10-12) cornrows!

I have lot of hair and a big head - and have 17 cornrows!

Your cornrows don't have to be perfect since no one will see them - just make sure each section is detangled and moisturized before braiding.

This also helps me to be able to get to all of my scalp (more parts means more exposed scalp) and also my products is getting to all of my hair not just the top layer of the braid.

:yep: Good luck,
CD

Thanks for the advice, CD!

But, I decided to twist my hair pretty small instead and that REALLY REALLY helped. Now, if I run my hands across my head (when my wig is on)...no bumpiness! :grin: Maybe this'll help someone else?

JJamiah

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
What's the best way to detangle a curly wig? it was really windy yesterday and my HW is looking crazy.

mocha.li

Just PMd CurliDiva, I'm in on this challenge. I'm waiting for my wig I bought last week and I just ordered one today.
Hairsisters.com is having a 20% off sale until Monday and I think blackhairspray is having a sale as well.

Last edited:

msdeevee

Just pm'd CurliDiva. I'm in, I have a couple of half wigs I like but I would love to find a nice lacefront that I can wear w/o feeling self conscious. I often feel like a have a hat on.

I really love those lacefronts w/ the little baby hair. When the hair is made to look like it's coming straight out the scalp it looks fake to me. the hairlines are so perfect and lined up , a dead giveaway to me. The nice ones are 400.00 or more though does anyone know of any nice ones that I can buy to try out w/o breaking the bank?

BellaLunie

I'm cosigning Hair Sisters they have a sale going on until Monday! I got 4 wigs (2 laces,1 half,and a full) for 83 dollars! That's only 1 Lacefront at my local BSS

likewtr4chklit

Man that's a long list of participants LOL. But I'm in, I've been wearing a wig since it got cold in November. I'll be wearing one until it's not cold anymore.
Reggie: Sunday night wash and dc in four sections, then leave in whatever condish I'm using seal it with coconut oil or sheabutter and then band it. Every other day I take them down in sections and re-moisturize, but I steam it every night in the shower as well.

msdeevee

I just ordered an Outre half wig (Evony) and a Sensationel lace front for only 39.00 to practice with.

Adding these to my other half wigs I should be good. I'm gonna look for one more wig with bangs and maybe APL with a kinky straight look.

I'm natural so I hate that shiny , straight look.

I'm getting excited about the challenge now!!

darlingdiva

Hello, CurliDiva and my fellow wig wearers. I am in for 2010. I promise to check in more than I did in 2009.

lwilliams1922

This is ONE of my favorite TRICKS for making a wig look more natural. Some of those wigs on online (not sure if it is just tiny-headed models or just big hair) are just "scream" fake hair to me.

My sister just told me a funny story about how her wig blew off (in a big gust) in a supermarket parking lot. She just thought her head was big enough to keep it on without any pins or combs! She just played It off and had to laugh at herself!:spinning:

eeeesh. That is why I am scared to braid my hair under the wig. I keep mine wrapped just in case I need to look decent without the wig in a hurry.

I'm going to TRY to braid it up though

lwilliams1922

Please add me to the wig challenge.

I have 3 I have been wearing off and on but they are ready to hit the road. I ordered more from Hair sisters but they wont be here till Jan 6 or so. grrrrrr. I HATE the processing delay, but they are on sale.

Once they arrive i'm in it to win it.

I do have a few questions....

What do you do when you work out?
I have an injury that has me benched for a few months but I'm not sure what to do when I go back to working out.

Do you wear a wig if you have the day off and are not leaving the house? I know I found myself trying to extend the life of my half wig by not wearing it around the house. Or maybe I just need to find a brand/wig that holds up better.

Can anyone post pics of cute wigs as I think I need some new ideas?

I ordered a custom HH lace front, LACE FRONT WIG MODEL MODEL INSPIRE II and an Outre Quick Weave SYNTHETIC 3/4 WIG QUICK WEAVE CIARA.

these are the ones I'm stalking:

OUTRE QUICK WEAVE SABINA
OUTRE QUICK WEAVE JOSEANE
SENSATIONNEL SYNTHETIC LACE FRONT WIG ANITA
OUTRE QUICK WEAVE LILLY
NEW BORN FREE DELICIOUS
FREETRESS SYNTHETIC FULLCAP BALI GIRL

6 wigs for 110!

Neek-a-Nator

Thanks ladies, I just went and bought 2 Polly half wigs, can't wait to get them. They were reduced to $14, for the Christmas sale.

I'm in! Thanks for starting this up, CDiva. I'm waiting on Outre's "Tammy" to arrive. I'm hoping this will be a year-round style that can be dressed up or down and require little effort to blend.

BellaLunie

does anyone know why Hair Sisters doesn't accept prepaid visas? My cousin is trying to order but it tells her to call the 1800 number which is open tomorrow

Lady S

The wig challenge was really helpful for me going back natural. And it's also kept me from damaging my own hair in the form of hair dye. And it's been incredible educational about what hairstyles I like, what I don't and what flatters me. More often then not, Hairsisters.com & GMBShair.com ends up having better prices then my local wig store.

Very easy & fun challenge as far as I'm concerned.