WIG CHALLENGE 2012

MzSwift

Bella-
Thanks girl! The short, sassy ones are so much fun! And they keep me from cutting my own hair.

@Smiley79
I rock mens satin skull caps underneath my wig. I have naturally thin edges and I tend to braid my cornrows going straight back. About every 3rd set, I switch it up and do one braid down the edges and then the other ones going straight back.

I've also read about ladies having success massaging castor oil into their edges before and after they put on the wig. HTH! :)

CurliDiva

I'm thinking about making a wig (a first) - does anyone have tips to share?

I'm interested in getting an adjustable mesh cap and using the crochet method to attach the hair to have maxium movement. I'm still undecided about how to handle the parting........

UPDATE: I just decided to buy a full lace wig instead - should get it on Tuesday!

Last edited:

Belle Du Jour

Yes, I ordered a Miss J (style) from Miss Wigs - but again their hair color are off and the cap is stiff. This wig just never looked quite right, but had lot of parting space.

I made it work but using makeup on the cap, and later just cut off the parting space and using it as a top closure.

The wigs came today and I ordered them on Sunday! So my first impression of Miss Wigs is I'm probably done with Aplus. :look: For the price, Miss Wigs are a pretty good substitute. The hair is soft and if I can hold up for a month of daily wear, I'll be happy with that. The caps are tight and holding on with an inch of their life :)lol: I have a big head) but I can make it work. I will try 'em out this weekend. I ended up getting the Miss L and Misso 304.

Belle Du Jour

I wore Miss L and there was shedding but not too bad. The parting space is more like 2 inches not 3 which is better than those Freetress and Outre wigs but it's not as realistic looking as Aplus.

On a positive note, in the month since I stopped wearing half wigs and just wore LFs, my hairline started filling in nicely. I can't wait to see where I'll be in December. I may transition to weaves after that.

Belle Du Jour

Just an update: do NOT bother with Miss Wigs. This is my second time wearing it and the tracks are coming apart and the hair at the crown of the wig is short/broken off like damaged hair :perplexed: I e-mailed them this morning with photos of the evidence. If they don't refund or send me a non-defective wig, I'll file a complaint through paypal. *sigh* As with everything, you get what you pay for. Fortunately, I have a new Aplus Gabrielle that I can use as a backup.

naturalmanenyc

CurliDiva

My niece makes a lot of wigs for herself and friends. I watched her make one using stocking caps, a shower cap on the mannequin head, weave tracks and glue. She is not advanced enough, yet, to make parts though.

I'm thinking about making a wig (a first) - does anyone have tips to share?

I'm interested in getting an adjustable mesh cap and using the crochet method to attach the hair to have maxium movement. I'm still undecided about how to handle the parting........

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I really want a glueless full lace wig from rpgshow. Either the wavy Kim K or Lisa Ray wig would do nicely. I've become tired of dealing with cheap synthetic wigs but still feel a bit uncomfortable shelling out that kind of money for some hair. :S

My iPad has a mind of its own.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I really want a glueless full lace wig from rpgshow. Either the wavy Kim K or Lisa Ray wig would do nicely. I've become tired of dealing with cheap synthetic wigs but still feel a bit uncomfortable shelling out that kind of money for some hair. :S

My iPad has a mind of its own.

I brought one from there sometime this year. *shrugs* I can't even tell you where it is now. smh

LightEyedMami

I brought one from there sometime this year. *shrugs* I can't even tell you where it is now. smh
OMG pre_medicalrulz :blush: whats wrong with it!!....I just ordered one of their glueless full lace wig after debating mentally for weeks, i should have it friday or monday ....is there something wrong with the hair?....cap construction?

FYI: i will tell you girls my honest opinion of the wig once i recieve the hair.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
OMG pre_medicalrulz :blush: whats wrong with it!!....I just ordered one of their glueless full lace wig after debating mentally for weeks, i should have it friday or monday ....is there something wrong with the hair?....cap construction?

FYI: i will tell you girls my honest opinion of the wig once i recieve the hair.

LightEyedMami

LOL!! I'm sorry but I'm for real. It's probably not the quality of the hair that's the issue but more or less the way I take care of wigs regardless of price. I just fling them on the couch or the floor when I get home from work but I'm sure you'll get more usage from the wig than I would with my carelessness. Def tell me what you think after about a month of having it though. I may buy another one and try to take care of it. I think. :spinning:

LightEyedMami

@LightEyedMami

LOL!! I'm sorry but I'm for real. It's probably not the quality of the hair that's the issue but more or less the way I take care of wigs regardless of price. I just fling them on the couch or the floor when I get home from work but I'm sure you'll get more usage from the wig than I would with my carelessness. Def tell me what you think after about a month of having it though. I may buy another one and try to take care of it. I think. :spinning:
:lol:aw ok gotcha.....i was over here having a heart attack!....I will let you know how it holds up, i always make sure to keep it in the container it comes in to protect it.....mainly because im cheap :look:....Hubby was so tired of me saying "im gonna get the wig"...then saying "nawww its too much money"....finally he was like "get the wig babe so i can stop hearing about it" :lol::lol:

LightEyedMami

Does anybody co wash in the morning and put on the wig while the hair is wet? I'm trying to figure out a great regimen under my wig
I have never tried this but be careful if you do, the scalp mildewing would be a concern of mine.....unless your hair is not in a cap/ well ventilated

nelcoy

AXtremeTakeover said:
Does anybody co wash in the morning and put on the wig while the hair is wet? I'm trying to figure out a great regimen under my wig

I've done this before, but not often because I do not want my scalp do get mildew. It's best to cowash and braid your hair, then let your hair air dry.

CurliDiva

Just an update: do NOT bother with Miss Wigs. This is my second time wearing it and the tracks are coming apart and the hair at the crown of the wig is short/broken off like damaged hair :perplexed: I e-mailed them this morning with photos of the evidence. If they don't refund or send me a non-defective wig, I'll file a complaint through paypal. *sigh* As with everything, you get what you pay for. Fortunately, I have a new Aplus Gabrielle that I can use as a backup.

@Belle Du Jour,

I'm so sorry to hear this! :(

I actualy pulled out a Miss J wig (still in the bag) to use as a backup until my new full lace wig arrves. I blowdried it straight, thinned out the bulk, and removed the combs which seemed to be in the wrong spot.

This wig still feel "off" for some reason.........

Last edited:

MzSwift

This is the only way I rock my wigs. I have been doing it for years with no mildew issues. I make sure to remove my wig when I get home so that my hair can dry. I keep on my satin skull cap at all times though.

LightEyedMami

Update:
Im soooo upset with myself i grew my hair wonderfully under my lace wig (for about 6 weeks) then 2 days ago i got a Itch for a sew in/crochet set i attempted with silky hair(bad idea) and not only was the cornrowing too much manipulation but the tention of the "double tracks" sewn in made my scalp red and tender ( its weird because that never happened when i did crochets with curly hair, i think because i only single track curly hair)

from now on im wearing wigs and kinky twists only (for at least 6 months).., i took the hair down within 1 day, also decided to give myself a trim because of the breakage.smh...i have had too many setbacks this year. Oh well from now on im sticking to what works...I hope everybody is doing well in the challenge.

Belle Du Jour

I'm really seeing progress with my hairline since I stopped wearing half-wigs. They were chewing my hairline up :nono:

I need to scour YT for recommendations on LFs. Any new "it" wigs at the moment?

Babygrowth

I need this challenge! I just started wigging it. I like wigs when its cold and braids when its hot. Plus I want my hair to grow faster. I have a serious hand in head syndrome!