WIG CHALLENGE 2013

polished07

I've been wiggins under mini braids bc my hair doesn't dread with those like cornrows I can get to my scalp and wash if needed and my hair is very flat underneath maybe you want to try that not Celies but small braids

AlliCat

3rd week in and put my curling iron to work on the wig. The 1-inch curls came out beautifully :) I want to limit the use of heat on my wig (excessive heat trashes human hair :nono:) and NO heat on my leave-out but this is much better than flexi rods..

I don't think I will ever get sick of this wigging business :grin: will reveal at hip length though.

Renewed1

image-3931164794.jpg

image-3999601046.jpg

I love long textured wigs you can do so much with them!

This is Giselle I wear it as a full wig, I cut some bangs in her and shorten the length.

polished07

3rd week in and put my curling iron to work on the wig. The 1-inch curls came out beautifully :) I want to limit the use of heat on my wig (excessive heat trashes human hair :nono:) and NO heat on my leave-out but this is much better than flexi rods..

I don't think I will ever get sick of this wigging business :grin: will reveal at hip length though.

I'm sick of it but I have a goal so I have to stick to the plan! Wearing wigs is much easier than a weave though I must say

ItsMeFre

New wig for the next month, The Mommy Wig by Janet collection. Check out my review here http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NHhpXpeTa4Q

image-2801141976.jpg

Also, just as an update I've been wearing wigs since February (January I wore a weave) and I LOVE IT!
I've been moisturizing my hair with Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and sealing it in with Treasured Lock's African Argan Oil Elixer once a day, braids only. The past 2 weeks I decided to try Doo Gro's Anti Itch Growth Oil and I added some peppermint oil to it, scalp only. I oil my scalp with that mix every other day.

My hair is in cornrows in a spiral design all around my head. I wear them 2 months, then take down and wash.

So far I've been able to retain all 3 1/2 inches of my growth this year.

Soooo excited to see where I will be by December!

Last edited:

SeeLexus

I have a Brand New Deep Wave Indian Remy Human hair half wig for sale in color 1b if you are interested. It will last you a year. It is 18 inches. Color Natural 1 B but you can dye it or what ever you like. $220. Just slick your hair back and clip in...or try to blend with your own hair. Private message me if interested : ) PAY PAL Only! Thank you!

One picture is the Unit by itself and the other is me wearing one similar:grin:

Attachments

• deepwave__69644_1320722609_1280_1280.jpg
    deepwave__69644_1320722609_1280_1280.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Hair.jpg
    Hair.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 78

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
It's been so hot here in Texas I've only been wearing my wigs maybe once a week. I've been doing a lot of twistouts and wNgs.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

Belle Du Jour

Has anyone tried the whole lace synthetic wigs (Janet Collection or Freetress Equal)? They are pricy but I would like to try one before starting the process of trying to get a human hair LF from a Chinese vendor. I saw some YT videos and they look good :yep:

AlliCat

For those with cornrows under wig: how long are you leaving them in? I'm debating whether to take out at either 3 or 5 weeks... trying to avoid breakage and matting

polished07

For those with cornrows under wig: how long are you leaving them in? I'm debating whether to take out at either 3 or 5 weeks... trying to avoid breakage and matting

3-4 weeks was the longest I could go wearing corn rows w/o the tangling and matting ESP in my nape area which is another reason why I went to the mini braids I can gently wash and dc my hair like this and my hair won't Matt up I do however detangle my nape weekly

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I'm going to have to drop out of this challenge for a while. :-( The cornrows are causing my fine strands to obtain mid strand splits and I was advised to maybe continue two strand twist as a low mani until my splits are slowly cut off (6months). I am however going to do some research on how else I can do my hair under my wigs so I may not be out just yet. Any ideas?

HPG

mywinborne

I'm slowing down with this challenge. DH pleaded with me to stop wearing wigs. I will still wear them on the two days I work, deep conditioning underneath. The rest of the time my hair will be out and straight. My hair has grown out a lot and I will post pics of it soon.
I was able to find a good regimen for retaining length on my fine hair and hopefully I'll be posting about that soon too.

mywinborne

So this is my hair now. Sorry it looks so piecy. I had put it up for the night in Bantu knots for curls and remembered I had to take the pic. So my hair is curling up in some sections because the moisturizer hasn't dried and my hair is also layered. Plus I threw on that white robe so my hair would show up against it.

Attachments

• image-3914570875.jpg
    image-3914570875.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 99
I'm going to have to drop out of this challenge for a while. :-( The cornrows are causing my fine strands to obtain mid strand splits and I was advised to maybe continue two strand twist as a low mani until my splits are slowly cut off (6months). I am however going to do some research on how else I can do my hair under my wigs so I may not be out just yet. Any ideas?

HPG

Yeah I've definitely noticed more ssks as my hair has grown under the wig. My nape started to grow back but then has kinda hit a plateau which has led me to suspect my hair is still rubbing against the satin scarf that I wear underneath. This friction is getting worse as my hair grows. So I am going to braid my hair differently underneath. Literally, Im braiding my hair as if Im getting a sew-in. The beehive,circular cornrows. They aren't tight at all. But I've already noticed that it reduces the amount of contact my ends have with anything. Still easy to moisturize/cowash daily because I have access to my hair but less ends exposed. We will see if it does any better the next time I take them down (1 month).

polished07

I noticed that when I stopped corn rolling my hair and mini braiding my hair I noticed less damage and more retention, I braid my mini braids into one French braid saturate the ends in conditioner and oil and tuck it under itself my hair has thanked me for it and I can still rock my wig!

Belle Du Jour

The frontal area of my hair is still struggling with breakage. :ohwell: I stopped wearing half wigs a year ago because I thought the comb was causing the breakage so I transitioned to synthetic LFs. I haven't really made much progress. I'm not sure if it's the hard plastic lace/friction that's the issue??? I was thinking about switching to weaves/closures but I'd rather be able to change my hair up more and be able to wash my own hair really well. Any suggestions? Should I try synthetics with softer lace or maybe try human hair? *sigh*

CurliDiva

Here's a texture shot of my new Kinky Straight lace wig!

She's 22 inches, color #4, 110 density and medium cap.

I will darken the roots (this is easier for me than trying to add color), flat iron, cut some layers and curl!

Attachments

• IMG_20130824_083111.jpg
    IMG_20130824_083111.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.

I will darken the roots (this is easier for me than trying to add color), flat iron, cut some layers and curl!

Really pretty! :)

HPG

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

How do you guys keep your hair from matting up under your wigs? Sometimes, it's an easy go, other times it's a 2 hour process. I am so frustrated after my last detangling session. I think I need a mentor. Someone help me. please.

cherishlove

That's hot!

I got my hair cornrowed and applied one of my old faithfuls by sewing it on. I'm wigging until the end of the year. I'm looking for my next wig after this three weeks.

cherishlove

How do you guys keep your hair from matting up under your wigs? Sometimes, it's an easy go, other times it's a 2 hour process. I am so frustrated after my last detangling session. I think I need a mentor. Someone help me. please.

I cornrow mine in a beehive and sew the end in the circle in the top.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

^^^That's my issue. I'm not sure.

I generally have 6-8 twists under my curly half wig (with a satin du-rag). I will moisturize every other day. I wash and dc every two - three weeks to keep manipulation low.

I'm trying to pinpoint what needs to be tweaked to avoid the frustration and hair loss. Thus the request for insight.

^ I used to cornrow,too but it seemed to cause breakage, so I stopped. The twists seem much easier on my hair.

Thanks for the responses!

PMs are welcome.

Last edited:

CurliDiva

^^^That's my issue. I'm not sure.

I generally have 6-8 twists under my curly half wig (with a satin du-rag). I will moisturize every other day. I wash and dc every two - three weeks to keep manipulation low.

I'm trying to pinpoint what needs to be tweaked to avoid the frustration and hair loss. Thus the request for insight.

^ I used to cornrow,too but it seemed to cause breakage, so I stopped. The twists seem much easier on my hair.

Thanks for the responses!

PMs are welcome.

Hey @Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll,

What are you using to moisturizing with? Is it water-based?

Are your twists lasting for the full 3 weeks?

How are you detangling? Finger? Dry? Wet?

I ask because, my strands is too curly to stay in twisted for a extended period of time -especially if they were repeated wet and re-wet - without curling upon itself which would be a nightmare to detangle.

Last edited:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Thanks for reaching out CurliDiva

Hey @Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll,

What are you using to moisturizing with? Is it water-based? I use a mixture of Mane and Tail and water and spritz it on my hair. Do you have a good leave-in moisturizer to recommend? For a DC I use Joico KPak

Are your twists lasting for the full 3 weeks? No, not really securely. Sometimes I retwist when wet.

How are you detangling? Finger? Dry? Wet? I detangle using my fingers while my hair is wet. It crackles if it is too dry. I abhor that sound. :perplexed

I ask because, my strands is too curly to stay in twisted for a extended period of time -especially if they were repeated wet and re-wet - without curling upon itself which would be a nightmare to detangle. This sounds like my hair! My hair gets sooo super curly and it twists and twists. Like the last few days I've had so many SSK's... I just want to scream!!! So maybe I should wash and retwist weekly? Maybe I just can't go multiple weeks at a time?...

How

cherishlove

So I was browsing wigs online and the computer started talking to me. No really Diana helped me buy 3 wigs all the way to checkout.

cherishlove

Lol I know she was like this was the easiest sell ever. I was on classiclacewigs for about 20 minutes and was done with the purchase of 3. I needed them though. That's what I tell myself anyway.