WIG CHALLENGE 2013

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Well ladies I took my beehive down. It was unraveling in the back which I think is weird considering she started from the top but my hair was tangled in there! How do you combat getting tangles while braided in that style? I may just have twists under my wigs and call it a day.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

FelaShrine

what are the best wig brands out right now. (moderately realisic looking, not too tangly)

I used to be all about Outre but I dont see that much anymore

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
what are the best wig brands out right now. (moderately realisic looking, not too tangly)

I used to be all about Outre but I dont see that much anymore

To be honest I really don't know bc I make my own wigs. My sister did get me a synthetic SL curly one a while back but I dk the name or brand.

HPG

SuchaLady

^^^ I make my own as well. I prefer it that way. I can get my density, layering, etc. the way I like. If price isn't a factor try RPG Show. Please YouTube them first before you buy a specific wig. Some of them look like overpriced remy hair. :barf: FelaShrine

polished07

Here's my latest wig I love! Closure and idk how many bundles though

Attachments

• image-401486817.jpg
    image-401486817.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 129

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
with the change in season and my current wig starting to fray at the ends, I like I'm ready for a new look. I think I've been rocking my current wig since before I joined this challenge in December.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
My current wig I got for my mom's viewing and funeral. I kind of really like her.

ETA- it already comes with the hump thing in the front (dk what it's called lol)

ForumRunner_20131020_124613.jpg

HPG

polished07

My current wig I got for my mom's viewing and funeral. I kind of really like her. ETA- it already comes with the hump thing in the front (dk what it's called lol) HPG Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

Wanted to wish my condolences, sorry for your loss Hun

CurliDiva

Well my kinky straight, human hair lace wig was a huge FAIL!

The ks texture looked so natural but this hair was a TON (I repeat.....TON) amount of work. I had to brush it repeatedly daily, apply heavy products, flat iron constantly to keep it from puffing up!

Then it started to SHED and TANGLE excessively probably because all of the manipulation I had to do to keep it looking decent. I officially retired it this weekend after two months! :/

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Well my kinky straight, human hair lace wig was a huge FAIL!

The ks texture looked so natural but this hair was a TON (I repeat.....TON) amount of work. I had to brush it repeatedly daily, apply heavy products, flat iron constantly to keep it from puffing up!

Then it started to SHED and TANGLE excessively probably because all of the manipulation I had to do to keep it looking decent. I officially retired it this weekend after two months! :/

Awe :-(

HPG

polished07

I've fell in love with another shorty do. I'll be rocking this and my Rihanna pixie

Attachments

• image-1173787484.jpg
    image-1173787484.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 126

uofmpanther

Help! I did a search in this thread, and I didn't see an answer to my question. Recently, I've noticed a little bit of breakage in my crown under my wig. I keep my hair in about 8 flat twists under my wig, going straight back. I redo them every week. I usually wear the flat twists during the week, and then take them out on the weekend to let my hair breathe. Normally, I flat twist with Camille Rose Almond Jai, but I did switch it up a little to see if I could find something with more hold that was still moisturizing (I didn't). I moisturize with an oil/water mix 1-2x per day. Then I use a moisturizing hair lotion or hair milk on top of that.

I've been doing the same routine for almost a year now, but this is the first time I've seen noticeable breakage. Anyone else getting breakage? Any thoughts on why?

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Help! I did a search in this thread, and I didn't see an answer to my question. Recently, I've noticed a little bit of breakage in my crown under my wig. I keep my hair in about 8 flat twists under my wig, going straight back. I redo them every week. I usually wear the flat twists during the week, and then take them out on the weekend to let my hair breathe. Normally, I flat twist with Camille Rose Almond Jai, but I did switch it up a little to see if I could find something with more hold that was still moisturizing (I didn't). I moisturize with an oil/water mix 1-2x per day. Then I use a moisturizing hair lotion or hair milk on top of that.

I've been doing the same routine for almost a year now, but this is the first time I've seen noticeable breakage. Anyone else getting breakage? Any thoughts on why?

What type of wig cap are you using? Besides, gradual breakage takes time to notice so seeing it after a year sounds about right. I started noticing breakage at my hair line after about 2 years of wig wear.

CurliDiva

Hey uofmpanther,

Although its not freezing yet, I've noticed that my hair is already drier due to the colder weather.

You may need to incorporate more deep conditioning and products to moisturize/seal.

Have you changed the wig you're wearing?

Some wigs have a stiffer cap/lace construction - Do you use for wear a wig cap or silk scarf?

uofmpanther

Hey uofmpanther,

Although its not freezing yet, I've noticed that my hair is already drier due to the colder weather.

You may need to incorporate more deep conditioning and products to moisturize/seal.

Have you changed the wig you're wearing?

Some wigs have a stiffer cap/lace construction - Do you use for wear a wig cap or silk scarf?

I wonder if this is the problem. I just switched to a new wig recently because the old one was frayed. Maybe I'll try washing it to loosen it up a bit.

Thanks CurliDiva

auntybe

I have worn wigs every day but 5 this year. My hair is so much better than last year. Nor very many split ends. I have already brought my wigs for 2014.

NGraceO

Thank you! I bought it from eBay. The seller's name is newstarupup. 14 in 1b yaki straight full lace.

I'm in LOVE!

View attachment 199637

I'm getting it cut tomorrow for a more realistic look.

Reading through this thread preparing for my personal 2014 wig challenge, I fell in LOVE with these wigs!! polished07 & Hairtender wanted to ask as a long term follow up review of these wigs. How did they hold up? are you still rocking them? How were tangles? versatility of style? Would you purchase them again? Sorry for all the Qs. I;m in my researching stage lol

quirkydimples

I just bought my first wig and wore it over the weekend. Today is my first day to wear it at work. I feel paranoid, but this is my last week here. I'll start a new job after Christmas break, so those people won't have seen shoulder length me, just mommy wig me.

I'm doing GHE under my wig. Five two strand twists straight back. I let my hair breath in the evening and then oil and spray before going to bed with a plastic cap and satin bonnet. I'll wash and deep condition (moisture/protein alternate weeks) Saturday night overnight and retwist Sunday. That's my plan from now through 2014.

I like short wigs, so I'm already scoping out my next one.

Attachments

• image-1499686704.jpg
    image-1499686704.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 35
  • image-3444126368.jpg
    image-3444126368.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 32
  • image-3716983661.jpg
    image-3716983661.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 34

quirkydimples

I am so glad I used this week to test out this whole wig thing. Two things I learned by wearing it all day today at work:

1. I should have ordered a lighter color. I ordered a 1 and should have gotten a 1B or an FS1B/30. To remedy this, I'm going to order the FS1B/30 to wear when this one eventually wears out and I'm going to dye the one I have a dark brown.

2. My head is huge. I knew this already, but my head was really, really hurting today, so I went to the bathroom to take off the wig and while inspecting it found that I had one of the elastic bands latched. I unhooked it and voila! Now my wig doesn't feel like it's trying to squeeze my brains out. Only now I'm paranoid that my wig is going to slip back or somehow be lopsided.

Everything I've read says using the combs on the sides is a no no, so I'm not sure what to do there. But I do love my Mommy wig and am looking forward to retaining length (and maybe finally making APL) in 2014.