WIG CHALLENGE 2014

Smiley79

I'm loving having access to my hair everyday by wearing wigs. :) I'm able to give my hair all the moisture it's been craving when I was wearing weaves.

FineChyna

Hi divachyk

I plan to wear wigs a lot this winter but I have to get the nerve to wear the wig in public. I am an introvert and I think the comments and stares from people will drive me crazy. I have purchased a few good quality wigs and I thought I would start by integrating them slowly. I already wore one to my daughter's game last weekend and received many compliments from a good friend. She made such a big deal out of it I was going to tell her but I didn't. Next, I plan to wear one to church before wearing one to work. I have to ease myself into this.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

i went through this and how i broke her in was to commit to buying and wearing it away on a trip for the few days i was away. i figured being away from my normal stomping grounds would let me get used to it without the stares and comments

i then came back to the office and wore it like nothing changed. i'm the only BW here and got stares but everyone said it was a nice hair do. not sure if they know it is fake or not. i just go on about my day and wear it

the only place it gets dicey is when i want to work out. i try to hide the hair under a hat or scarf and then remove the wig in the changing room so i can exercise without worrying about losing my hair or sweating it up

i saw another wig i wanted to try (the beyonce honey blonde thing) but i am worried i will run into someone from work on my day off and have folks low key embarrass me.

-----
also can we ask for product reviews or help in this thread? i saw a wig by vivica fox that i have yet to find a review for and wanted some opinions before i buy it and can't use it

NGraceO

i went through this and how i broke her in was to commit to buying and wearing it away on a trip for the few days i was away. i figured being away from my normal stomping grounds would let me get used to it without the stares and comments i then came back to the office and wore it like nothing changed. i'm the only BW here and got stares but everyone said it was a nice hair do. not sure if they know it is fake or not. i just go on about my day and wear it the only place it gets dicey is when i want to work out. i try to hide the hair under a hat or scarf and then remove the wig in the changing room so i can exercise without worrying about losing my hair or sweating it up i saw another wig i wanted to try (the beyonce honey blonde thing) but i am worried i will run into someone from work on my day off and have folks low key embarrass me. ----- also can we ask for product reviews or help in this thread? i saw a wig by vivica fox that i have yet to find a review for and wanted some opinions before i buy it and can't use it

I certainly don't see why not:) ask away!

NGraceO

I can NOT believe it's already November and that I've been wigging it for the majority of the year!!

Time flies!!

I took a couple of months off to wear braids, around April, but I'm glad i returned.

I set out to "wig it to waist length" in 2014, and I'm so glad I stuck with it. Proud of myself:)

FineChyna

I certainly don't see why not:) ask away!

:)

so one idea i was toying with was to have a side fish braid with a bang. vivica fox's wig line has a lace front wig named joss already "styled" the way i wanted it and i actually like the color options. problem is i see zero reviews on this wig and i know lace fronts can be tricky if you don't do it right. it also doesn't help that the vendors do not have any pics of the left side or top where the scalp is-just the right side and the back. no local vendor sells this style either

link to wig: http://www.vivicafoxhair.com/product_details.asp?mid=4&searchText=joss&pid=604

vendor pic:

but i am also wondering if just braiding up a regular wig with bangs would be better than doing this so i can play with what needs to be left out to cover the problem areas. seems like most people who go with this style have a generic wig they use to style with a side braid

if someone has experience with side braiding wigs can you post some tips or point me to a YT vid that deals with this?

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
The curlier my hair becomes, the less realistic straight hair looks when pressed against my relaxer stretched curlies. I need to invest in more curly half wigs or full cap wigs.

mshoneyfly

Hmmm my coworker has started calling me "wiggy".... Address or don't address?

If it bothers you, you should say something. Even if it doesn't, she might think its okay to say that in front of a bunch of people.

I personally would get her straight!...in a nice, polite way that lets her know I mean business of course.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

NGraceO

Hmmm my coworker has started calling me "wiggy".... Address or don't address?

Oh NO.

I hope this is from someone you are at least friendly with.

A simple, direct, "Please do not call me that.." Should suffice. Feel free to serve it with a side of side eye.

OAN, I can't remember if you were the same one to share that your husband commented something similar as well. If so, you might consider if there is something you can take from their comments- does your wig really look "wiggy?" Would that bother you if that were the case? If so- are there anymore natural-looking wig options that may fit you better and make this a more comfortable trasition for you?

Just my long-winded thoughts. :)

NGraceO

The curlier my hair becomes, the less realistic straight hair looks when pressed against my relaxer stretched curlies. I need to invest in more curly half wigs or full cap wigs.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about wearing a straight wig with exposed (basically "natural") edges and the contrast between those two textures?

scarcity21

So, I co-washed my plaits yesterday, then moisturized and sealed, which is something I never do.

My hair was just feeling so unbelievably dry, and I couldn't imagine doing a full-out wash day for another week. Lets see how this will affect my moisture levels and detangling this weekend.

In other news, here is todays work bun:

NGraceO, is this the italian yaki?
do u wear it behind the hairline?
how do you curl it? mine will not hold a curl
did u cut layers?
TIA

NGraceO

:)

so one idea i was toying with was to have a side fish braid with a bang. vivica fox's wig line has a lace front wig named joss already "styled" the way i wanted it and i actually like the color options. problem is i see zero reviews on this wig and i know lace fronts can be tricky if you don't do it right. it also doesn't help that the vendors do not have any pics of the left side or top where the scalp is-just the right side and the back. no local vendor sells this style either

link to wig: http://www.vivicafoxhair.com/product_details.asp?mid=4&searchText=joss&pid=604

vendor pic:

but i am also wondering if just braiding up a regular wig with bangs would be better than doing this so i can play with what needs to be left out to cover the problem areas. seems like most people who go with this style have a generic wig they use to style with a side braid

if someone has experience with side braiding wigs can you post some tips or point me to a YT vid that deals with this?

I say get you a regular old wig with bangs…just to avoid a restrictive wig. In my [limited] experience braiding wigs, it always helps (after you do the cornrow around the perimeter) to tug, pull, and tease the braid so that it hangs looser (and lower from the scalp of the wig) and therefore, covers your edges and any wig line of demarcation.

NGraceO

NGraceO, is this the italian yaki? Yep. From classic lace.

do u wear it behind the hairline? Yep.

how do you curl it? mine will not hold a curl As far as curling it, I prefer to curl wand this wig on a braid out. That just means less work for you (I usually find myself only curl wanding the ends of the hair and the hair on top since the braid out provides a basis of wavy texture throughout the entire head) HTH.

did u cut layers? Yep, most specifically to frame my face and in the crown. That one length business was not cute. It needed to be shaped for it to lay the way I like it when curly:)
TIA

Hey honeybee! Answered your Q's above:)

scarcity21

Hey honeybee! Answered your Q's above:)

NGraceO...Hey :wavey:makes sense! Never tried a twist out with it
do u apply product when u braid it?
and how long do you leave braids in?
That one length look didnt look right to me either
Do you secure using the elastic band method?
since you apply behind hairline, is your hair straight or textured?

NGraceO

NGraceO...Hey :wavey:makes sense! Never tried a twist out with it
do u apply product when u braid it? If its freshly washed: leave in spray & chi silk infusion if not freshly washed: Water, little bit leave in, chi silk infusion

and how long do you leave braids in? usually don't braid until its about 70% dry (until then I just let it hang dry). If not, sh!t will take FOREVER to dry in braids. Like, forEVER.

That one length look didnt look right to me either :nono:Right. A girl needs volume.

Do you secure using the elastic band method? Idk what that is. lol. I would roll the ends on perm rods if i had them, but [since i don't] i just secure the ends with a hairbow, and curl wand the ends later.

Since you apply behind hairline, is your hair straight or textured? I'm texlaxed. I just gel my edges down. No matter how far into a stretch I am, my ecostyler gel (a sometimes, a little EVOO on top) ALWAYS keeps my edges laid and on FLEEK (why did i even type that :lol:)

10characters.

Last edited:

scarcity21

lol @ ON FLEEK!!! Thanks for answering my questions:) I was asking how you secure the wig to your hair since im assuming you dont glue it down

curls4daze

Oh NO. I hope this is from someone you are at least friendly with. A simple, direct, "Please do not call me that.." Should suffice. Feel free to serve it with a side of side eye. OAN, I can't remember if you were the same one to share that your husband commented something similar as well. If so, you might consider if there is something you can take from their comments- does your wig really look "wiggy?" Would that bother you if that were the case? If so- are there anymore natural-looking wig options that may fit you better and make this a more comfortable trasition for you? Just my long-winded thoughts. :)

Yes that was me. dH didn't like the quality of the first wig Bc it was synthetic. so I had one made with brazilian body wave.

Today it was a male who said it. Maybe he thinks we are friends. I addressed it as I sent send because I couldn't bite my tongue. Then later at our union meeting he was touching it. Then stated as he walked by my office that hair feels like real hair.

People at work just love something to talk about. When I first went natural, I heard a lot of negative comments at work. I just have learned to smile and shut it down. People are only quiet when my hair is heat damaged and straight! Lol

I just smile because when MY hair grows....... Girllll you won't be able to tell me NOTHING. Stay focused ladies.

NGraceO

lol @ ON FLEEK!!! Thanks for answering my questions:) I was asking how you secure the wig to your hair since im assuming you dont glue it down

You're very welcome:) You know what? I originnally secured it with the clip that came in the wig…but those have since FALLEN OUT, so, now….I use nothing. :grin: I promise I'm the laziest person ever. Hopefully noone snatches it off my head. lol

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about wearing a straight wig with exposed (basically "natural") edges and the contrast between those two textures?

NGraceO

My edges are super curly and resembles half wig Creta Girl really well. There is becoming a noticeable texture difference between my 19 weeks post hair and straight hair half wigs. I was just saying I need to find other curly half wig options (similar to Creta Girl) or get some full wigs (curly or straight) so my 19 weeks post curly edges are hidden and not looking odd when wearing half wigs that doesn't match my texture perfectly.

How long does Creta Girl last you before replacing her? How do you keep her from becoming so tangled? I feel like mine needs replacing already.

Smiley79

I was a good girl this week...I only wore my wig for 3 days out of the work week and let my hair/edges rest for the remaining days plus tomorrow...Sunday I'll wear it for a few hours. Hopefully this balance will help my hair to thrive.

EnExitStageLeft

Note to Self: Always go for the custom cap size because a large just won't do :nono:.

#BigHeadWoes

HEADS UP!: I have a ClassicLaceWigs Italian Yaki Silk Top Full Lace wig for sale in the exchange forum.

mshoneyfly

Note to Self: Always go for the custom cap size because a large just won't do :nono:. #BigHeadWoes HEADS UP!: I have a ClassicLaceWigs Italian Yaki Silk Top Full Lace wig for sale in the exchange forum.

Aww! :(
What's wrong? You dont like the wig? I have one from April Lace Wigs and its gorgeous; except its a upart.

Guess Im a little intimidated because it looks like a natural texture. I feel like I dont know what Im doing. I certainly wont try to wear in its natural state cause my hair is texturized which means straight.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

EnExitStageLeft

mshoneyfly

Its EXTREMELY tight...worst then the U-part from EloquentHair I had. I have a really, really, my mama had to have a C section because of my dome type big head :(. So it doesn't fit. I should have contacted NGraceO before I got the thing. A couple days after receiving it, I messaged her and she told me that she got a custom....smh I should have done the same thing. They're large cap basically fit the average-moderately large head, but for massives like myself....go for a custom.

I also suffer from Migraines, so I can't use anything that's going to pull on my scalp. If I do I'll be miserable for the rest of the day. I'm not trying to hurt just to look cute.