WIG CHALLENGE 2014

CurliDiva

I'm starting the WIG CHALLENGE 2014 now- so please just "thank" this post to join!

The WIG CHALLENGE 2014 is very, very EASY..........just wear any type of wig as your main PROTECTIVE STYLE of choice while growing out your "real" hair!

:gorgeous: WIG CHALLENGE guidelines:

• The Wig Challenge is in effect from Jan 1st - Dec 31st, 2014 (you can join at any time during the year by "thanking" this first post)

• a WIG means any ....... full wig, half wig, full lace wig, U-part, or a lace fronts (NOT twists, phony pony, braided extensions or traditional weaves) store bought or self-made.

• Wigs are a great PROTECICTIVE STYLE because you can take as many breaks as you want - just PULL IT OFF whenever you want to see and touch your real hair! You can even baggy or deep condition underneath, any no one is the wiser.

You MUST take care of your hair and scalp underneath..........this challenge is about progress, not a styling crutch......our ultimate goal is healthy, long REAL hair!

• Keep in touch, post photos, ask questions, share advice and let us know how you're doing at least once per month!

Please remember there is a TON of information in the previous WIG CHALLENGES....... 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 20013 threads.

Also, the WIG CHALLENGE works easily with others challenges -- such as the Bootcamp, Deep Conditioning, Scalp Massage, Hide Your Hair, or Low Manipulation, etc. -- since your hair is safely tucked away from daily wear and tear.

Happy New Year and Happy Hair Growing!:gorgeous:

CurliDiva

Here are some my personal tips and favorite videos for a flawless WIG look!

Mindset
Some people may “try” to make you feel bad about wearing a WIG but please remember you don’t owe them any explanations. Keep focus on your hair goals and let the haters hate. But if you need some sassy suggestions, simply reply:
· No, I am not bald-headed.
· If I am suffering from an illness, it is still none of your business.
· No, other ethnic groups wear wigs too, no just black women.
· No, I don’t NEED to show you my real hair.
· No, I’m not trying to look like (insert) any black celebrity.

Where to BUY
Check online for reviews and comments on wig brands and wig sellers– this is especially true if you plan to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars for a full lace wig. Wig style names, color chart, return policy and textures vary from one company or bran to another.

What to buy / Picking a Style
This is just my personal opinion – Just because some vendor makes a wig of 40 inches of rainbow pink and yellow bright, supposedly Malaysian-textured hair, does not mean that you should BUY it!

That being said, WIGS are a great way to switch things up without damaging your real hair – want highlights, go lighter, new color altogether, got longer or shorter, super curly, kinky or straight. Please just wear a style that looks flattering to your face, skin tone, and body!

WIG Photos Lie
I’m not sure why but most WIG photography makes the models and hair look horrible. I would suggest visiting a BSS to see wigs in person or search for the wig name online.

Below are some of my favorite WIG videos on YouTube! Please show some WIG LOVE by subscribing and liking their videos, if you find the info useful:

Sewing Down a WIG
Yes, you can sew down a wig just like a weave, here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=0dp5n19D8_Y

Help for a recessing hairline: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OObdMQE5-E8

Remove that Out-of-the-box SHINE
I personally recommend using DRY SHAMPOO to dull that Out-of-the-Box SHINE!

It is super easy to use, more effective and less messy than homemade remedies such as baby powder or vinegar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm366Hd0D3s

Dry Shampoo
I’m posting this video link twice because I think DRY SHAMPOO can be Wig wearer best friend to refresh your style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm366Hd0D3s

Faux Bleached Knots
Use concealer or foundation a shade or two lighter than your face – why? The color of your scalp is usually lighter than your face. Never wear a wig with lace parting with a black wig cap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wowgyQbCqLI

Faux Middle Part
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuT1cUoGH10

Elastic Band Method
Here’s a video about the band method to avoid using tape or glue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xz3pMnmntQ

You can Curl a Synthetic WIG:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkjVLn1lV4E

You can Straighten a Synthetic WIG:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhltEz2hhzg

Last edited:

13StepsAhead

Place holder.... Wigging to MBL and beyond

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I plan to wig it for at least 3 months and see how it will help me for now. I will start wigging January
1st and have my hair braided in bee hive or individuals. Here's my current length. ForumRunner_20131218_121051.jpg HPG Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

Last edited:

anoriginalpyt

this is right on time, i'm currently on week 2 with this synthetic bob. i actually came on this side of lhcf to find out how to revive a synthetic.

sorry ladies, i don't have any length photos right now. but i will add a few before january.

i bought this wig in a 2, and i'm hoping it'll last the rest of the month

13StepsAhead

Here is the wig I made and will be using for most of this challenge Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-2194634642.jpg
    image-2194634642.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 317
  • image-70925568.jpg
    image-70925568.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Have my hair in a bun probably until Tuesday and will wash and plait my hair for my wig.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

MonaRae

I've been wigging it since September and my hair is the better for it. I currently wash my hair every 2 weeks, braid it up and don't touch it utill the next wash day. In between washes I apply S-Curl and baggy nightly.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I was going to wig it starting Tuesday but I realized I still have this darn micro hair in my drawer that needs to be used. Think I'm going to get micros if my sis in law will do it and leave them in for 2 months then wig it from there.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I'm in. I think I'll flat iron for my b day next week, so I'll post a pic then

Here is my starting pic of my real hair after a semi-failed flat iron experiment. It falls a little below SL. This just reinforced that I prefer to wear a wig when I want straight hair.

ForumRunner_20131225_070348.jpg

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
I'm in again.

starting pics attached...

Attachments

• my hurr.jpg
    my hurr.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Side Length Check 1-1-2014.JPG
    Side Length Check 1-1-2014.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Front Length Check 1-1-2014.JPG
    Front Length Check 1-1-2014.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Back Length Check 1-1-2014.JPG
    Back Length Check 1-1-2014.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

quirkydimples

I'm in! I just relaxed my hair last night and won't relax again until March or April. I bought my first wig a couple of weeks ago (the Mommy), but it was too tight (or my head was too big). My Greta by Vanessa just arrived and I love it!

I'll wash and condition on Sundays and do six flat twists back. I'll GHE under my wig M-F, taking it off when I get home from work each day while continuing to GHE through the night. I'll spray Taliah Waajid's protective mist bodifier each day and use the roots only applicator to apply her African healing oyl.

My wig is synthetic and I'm treating it like it's my own hair at work, so that means I'll buy multiples of the same wig (maybe a different color occasionally). This is my plan for the year and maybe finally I'll get to APL.

Attachments

• image-1114755547.jpg
    image-1114755547.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 226
  • image-2804630823.jpg
    image-2804630823.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 212
  • image-1975125038.jpg
    image-1975125038.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 218
  • image-183842793.jpg
    image-183842793.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 196
  • image-778137555.jpg
    image-778137555.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 186

Tchanelle

Hi all,

Uber excited about this challenge since I decided I was doing this for 2014 and 2015. Just took my hair out of a sew-in and got my hair cornrowed yesterday. I also bought my first wig for this challenge...hopefully it doesn't look too wiggy...I'm posting pics of my starting length and the wig. I also plan to get two U-part wigs made by February or March and wear them with a closure using the elastic band method.

Attachments

• CAM01148.jpg
    CAM01148.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 233
  • CAM00899.jpg
    CAM00899.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 219
  • CAM00716-1.jpg
    CAM00716-1.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 201

BrownBetty

Hi all,

Uber excited about this challenge since I decided I was doing this for 2014 and 2015. Just took my hair out of a sew-in and got my hair cornrowed yesterday. I also bought my first wig for this challenge...hopefully it doesn't look too wiggy...I'm posting pics of my starting length and the wig. I also plan to get two U-part wigs made by February or March and wear them with a closure using the elastic band method.

That is nice... Where did you get it?