Wig help

Mapleoats

Hi ladies. I’m calling on the wig wearers out there to help me out. I’m thinking about trying to get into wigs again. I’ve tried (unsuccessfully) in the past but just couldn’t get down with the whole gluing my cap down to my forehead, then glueing the wig down to the cap, concealer on the lace etc etc that YouTubers do. What’s a good “beginner wig” that looks decent without all that extra work? Are U part wigs the way to go? Headband wigs? I also don’t want to spend a fortune.

I just want something to slap on when my hair is looking busted and I don’t feel like doing it. Help, please!

NaturalEnigma

I like full head wigs with a bang. You don’t have to do anything to them. What I do is I buy my wigs in bulk 5-6 online and choose which ones I like and return the rest. Granted I have to pay a 20% restocking fee but it’s worth because I’ve found some great looking wigs in the process. I noticed when I buy 1 or 2 wigs and I receive it in the mail I’m pressured to keep at least one of them even if I don’t like it that much, because I’m desperate and I don’t really have any other options.

I like to look online for reviews either written ones or YouTube videos. What annoys me about the YouTube videos is that a lot of the Youtubers receive a different more nicer version of the wig to review from the supplier and it looks nothing like what the average consumer gets in the mail. Also some youtubers cut, color, curl and style the hair so much that it just looks like a different wig which is annoying. I like “WigTypesOfficial” YouTube page. The lady that tries on the wigs does minimal to the hair, sometimes nothing and she shows you how it looks straight out the box.

I feel you on not wanting to do anything to the wig and just slapping it on. I recently brought some lace front wigs to try something different and I’m dreading doing the research, and buying the supplies to make it look natural. It’s definitely a skill but I think once you figure it out it’s worth it.

Gibsongal

I agree with you OP. I just can't do the whole routine of gluing, tweezing, baby hairs, edge control and all of that other stuff. Although I admire the ladies who take the time to do all of that work. Sometimes the results are truly remarkable. But like @NaturalEnigma, I buy full head wigs and sometimes I'll buy a lace front wig, cut the lace off, throw on a headband and wear it that way. Who's gonna know/care? Usually those styles are wavy or curly. They last for a decent amount of time IF I take care of them. These wigs are synthetic and pretty inexpensive.

I saw an influencer review a wig that was so cute that I had to check out the price. That dang wig was a whopping $400.00 (yes I'm cheap) for the length and style that I wanted. No thank you. I'm good.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I like wearing full wigs with bangs, half wigs and headband wigs.

My favorite go to wig is a kinky curly bang wig I bought on aliexpress. It looks like my hair and I just plop it on and go when I am going to a zoom meeting or to the grocery store. I've also found some great finds on Amazon. I also purchased from y wigs while they had their sale and I love every one I received. I also have a bevy of synthetic half wigs that I wear as head band wigs. I like the ones that have a little yaki texture to them. I think it makes it look more natural. I get my synthies from wig types.

If I were new to wigs I would get a few synthetic half wigs to try out. I prefer to watch videos on YouTube as much as possible before adding to my cart. My only issue with half wigs is that they are usually too long so I cut them and add face framing layers. After that they are grab and go lol.

Last edited:

Mapleoats

I like wearing full wigs with bangs, half wigs and headband wigs.

My favorite go to wig is a kinky curly bang wig I bought on aliexpress. It looks like my hair and I just plop it on and go when I am going to a zoom meeting or to the grocery store. I've also found some great finds on Amazon. I also purchased from y wigs while they had their sale and I love every one I received. I also have a bevy of synthetic half wigs that I wear as head band wigs. I like the ones that have a little yaki texture to them. I think it makes it look more natural. I get my synthies from wig types.

If I were new to wigs I would get a few synthetic half wigs to try out. I prefer to watch videos on YouTube as much as possible before adding to my cart. My only issue with half wigs is that they are usually too long so I cut them and add face framing layers. After that they are grab and go lol.
Wow that wig is beautiful and very natural looking! I think that is exactly what I’m looking for thank you! How is the maintenance on that? Does it know up easy?

Also, zoom meetings and grocery store sound exactly like what I need a wig for too lol.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Wow that wig is beautiful and very natural looking! I think that is exactly what I’m looking for thank you! How is the maintenance on that? Does it know up easy?

Also, zoom meetings and grocery store sound exactly like what I need a wig for too lol.
I love my wig. I got the shortest length and its like my hair without the effort lol. So far I just cowashed it, put some african pride curl cream, brushed with a Denman and let it air dry for a day. I take it off as soon as I don't need it and the curls have held up well. I put it on a wig block or stand when I'm not using it to keep the curls from getting flat. I probably wont wash it again until the 4 week mark. Very low maintenance. I am also thinking of buying another wig in a longer length so I can switch it up but its not necessary.