Wig, Weave and Ponytail Challenge 2022-2024

MzSwift

Just finished cornrowing my hair w conditioner - straight backs. Applied my tonic and MT to my scalp. Letting my braids dry and then I plan to braid the tails and fold them up and then put on a weaving cap.

For my first real wig wear in YEARS, I plan to sew down a curly wig. I have to rock it with a headband so I'll sew it down slightly behind my edges. I plan to keep it on for 2 weeks. I hope I can do it!

I plan to take the wig off to wash and DC my cornrows at the end of two weeks. Reapply my scalp tonic and sew it back on for two more weeks. I think as long as I keep my growth goals in mind, that'll be enough motivation for me.

It's HYH 2024 over here!! :rocker:

MzSwift

Alright! It's done! I'm happy to be in a full PS for the first time in a long time!

VERY basic cornrows, bc that's my skill level. lol
1704303730671.png 1704303748697.png

Used a weaving cap to tuck in the tails

1704303822165.png 1704303872955.png

Used a curved weaving needle and weave thread to sew down my wig by flipping up the edges of my wig.

1704304964703.png

And here's my wig for 2 weeks! It's not styled yet bc I'm getting ready to put on my satin scarf. But I just have to fluff it around w my fingers after I take off my scarf!

1704304208236.png 1704304247604.png

I had originally planned to do a curly wig but decided at the last minute to do a pixie wig so that's why I didn't choose a flatter braid base. I think it still turned out ok.

MzSwift

@MzSwift did you sew the hair only onto the net cap? So you can take it off and on as needed?

Hey Sis! :wave:

That would've been smart but way too many steps for me! lol
I just used the cap to hold the tails tucked so that I didn't have to sew them down, crochet them through or braid them together.
I also used the cap as extra support for my edges,etc so that the wig isn't only supported by my janky braids. lol Since my braids are spaced so far apart, I weave the thread through the braid+cap+wig and then in the spaces where there is no braid, it's woven through the cap and the wig only. I hope that makes sense!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I found the perfect ponytail that matches my texture. I'm switching to synthetics because human hair requires too much effort to look good. I will be in the bun and baggy for at lest 3 months and then i will reassess my regimen. I noticed that when i greased the ends and baggied i had better retention
New pontyail.JPG

MzSwift

@MzSwift did you sew the hair only onto the net cap? So you can take it off and on as needed?

You didn't mean to, Sis, but you just helped me out a TON!

Last year, I would braid my hair up w the intent of rocking a wig over the cornrows whenever I left the house. But I never did. lol. I rocked my janky cornrows out and about and didn't care. I'm trying to be better this year w/my wig wearing so I sewed this wig down.

Well, that lasted 5 days before my scalp was protesting! My hair, and apparently my scalp too, loves water/moisturizer daily. I can probably skip one day at the most before my hair feels dry. So I took the wig off to give me access to my scalp but I kept the weaving cap on. Thanks to you, I'm gonna sew cap down!! Kinda like some ladies do with the hair net over the bun. I think it will help keep my cornrows in better shape as I plan to clean and DC more often. My strands are so fine that they start really flying away after the first wash, I think this will help protect them.

With the weaving cap sewn on, I will HAVE to rock a wig when I go somewhere now. I'm excited to see my progress at my next relaxer in April.

MzSwift

Still in the same cornrows with the cap sewn down. Loving the simplicity and surprised they're still in!
Left the house yesterday and actually pinned down a wig. I've learned that I prefer access to my scalp.
Also, I prefer shorter curly wigs (CL or even ear length) instead of the SL and longer curly ones.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Smooth_ponytail_50.jpg
Happy with my ponytail. its really going unparalleled as a synthetic pony. I get so many compliments with this one. I only wish my hair was so thick. I would never wear a actual ponytail because it would probably a killer for my ends.

The BLUE wet line gel is the GOAT It mixes with all of my products . i was having flakes in the morning but now i don't have them at all. I'm very pleased

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Started wearing wig in November. Wore it 7 weeks. Then switched out to another wig for January. Wore that for around 4-5 weeks and have moved on to a glue less that I take off daily. I like the glue less because I can moisturize my scalp.

I'll be going over to crochet braids when I find this hair I saw online.