Wigs - Tips n Tricks

thatscuteright

I apply a little bit of vaseline to my wig and comb/brush it through. It helps with the tangles and extends the life.

ronie

My wig regimen:
I do about 5-6 flat twists and leave them in for 2 weeks, changing the pattern of my twists each time I redo them. I spray my hair nightly with a mix of braid spray and Infusium 23 and every other night I add S-curl and Liquid Gold hair growth oil. Under my wig I wear my satin scarf with a wig cap over top. I take my wig off as soon as I am home to allow my scalp to "breathe". I wash weekly (one week in twists, one week out of twists) and DC under my steamer weekly after each wash. Usually on wash day I leave my DC on and cover with a plastic bag and slap my wig cap and wig on top while I am out and rinse in the evening. So far this has been working really well for me!
JustGROWIt that's the regimen i have been trying to stick with. Whenever i do this my hair thrives. The only piece that i miss is the scarf under the wig cap. I have not been able to secure anything satin under my wig. So what i do is mist my wig cap with a mix of water and olive oil right before i put it on. That way it is saturated and wont suck the moisture out of my hair. But i am still afraid for my edges. I have not noticed anything bad yet ( crossing my fingers), cause i only wear my wig 3 days a week for work. I take it off as soon as i get in my car, sometimes i take it off during my break in my car. If i need to go anywhere else i just put on my silk scarf. So can you share how you manage to wear the scarf under the cap? TIA.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
@JustGROWIt that's the regimen i have been trying to stick with. Whenever i do this my hair thrives. The only piece that i miss is the scarf under the wig cap. I have not been able to secure anything satin under my wig. So what i do is mist my wig cap with a mix of water and olive oil right before i put it on. That way it is saturated and wont suck the moisture out of my hair. But i am still afraid for my edges. I have not noticed anything bad yet ( crossing my fingers), cause i only wear my wig 3 days a week for work. I take it off as soon as i get in my car, sometimes i take it off during my break in my car. If i need to go anywhere else i just put on my silk scarf. So can you share how you manage to wear the scarf under the cap? TIA.

i wear a silk scarf under mine too. i use a small sized one, about the size of a bandana....i never have problems securing it, but bobby pins would work if need be.

Renewed1

My tip. I have a synethtic lace front wig that I love. The problem is the lace is so rough that I feel it's rubbing against my hairline.

I found this on youtube about sewing a silk piece over the lace to help protect your hair. It also hides those "knots" from the lace.

It's pretty simple......glue and sew a taupe silk onto the lace.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsCy0IlJD8U

My tip for the summer days when it's WAAAY too hot to wear a durag (wig) cap. I flip the wig over (the underside with the combs, etc). I proceed to spray the actual wig cap with an oil sheen. This helps reduce the friction between my hair and the wig.

(I still moisturize, etc my hair.

hnntrr

Subbing! Thanks for this, I just purchased a wig this past week and need some tips to help with the wiggy'ness.

coolsista-paris

I wanted to add something i noticed to reduce shine from a wig.

I have dry shampoo (its a spray shampoo). I put that on my wig just to clean it, guess what :

=> wig came out clean smelling good and took off the shine !

Now whenever i want to take off the shine, i use the dry shampoo that does all 3. :)

Nubenap22

Thanks for the tip about the men's satin cap! I always wanted to put one in my wig but didnt know how I could finagle a satin cap inside the wig.....maybe I'll even sew it to the inside of my wig!

karenjoe

bumping-- I think this is a great idea to put all those tips in one place! I need to know tips raveling for washing my synthetic wig. I'm trying to bring it back to life.

use Downey fabric softer to soften synthetic wigs & falls etc.
after washing a curly wig turn wig inside out
place on shower head or plastic wig head.
there's a plastic headband for wigs
or first aid bandages u can wear to protect edges

I wore Lf's. I had no problem w my naturally thin edges
I made sure my wig's fit perfectly.
my hair under had to be flat
a circle of cornrows

guudhair

Bumpin!...thanks, ladies. I just bought four wigs. This will be my first time wearing one.

Last edited:

FineChyna

any tips on how to deal with itchy wigs?. i wear a stocking cap but still have itchies-around the hair line and the very top of my head is were it itches the most. i am assuming its the scalp piece at the top (not sure what the proper name is) that is causing the problem. i tried to spray the underside of that area with oil sheen and water hoping that will help. i'm hesitant to wash it because the BSS store i got the hair from is out of stock of this wig style and the vendors company site is down so i have no way to get another one in a hurry right now in case something goes wrong.

also what changes in my hair should i look for to be on top of potential breakage/thinning issues with my hair when wigging? usually people don't realize there is a problem until its too late.

niknik253

any tips on how to deal with itchy wigs?. i wear a stocking cap but still have itchies-around the hair line and the very top of my head is were it itches the most. i am assuming its the scalp piece at the top (not sure what the proper name is) that is causing the problem. i tried to spray the underside of that area with oil sheen and water hoping that will help. i'm hesitant to wash it because the BSS store i got the hair from is out of stock of this wig style and the vendors company site is down so i have no way to get another one in a hurry right now in case something goes wrong.

also what changes in my hair should i look for to be on top of potential breakage/thinning issues with my hair when wigging? usually people don't realize there is a problem until its too late.

This may seem extreme but what works great for me is sewing silk fabric along the hairline and I use braid spray for the top of my head. That usually takes care of itching and possible breakage along the hairline.

fatimablush

i am definitely going to order something from fingercomber.com.

i spray one n only argan oil treatment on my synthetic wigs and human hair wigs
it seems to extend life on my synthetic wigs.

MrsCEO

When wearing a long wig below the shoulders and it begins to matte, I turn the wig into an up do. Wear it in a bun or cute braids and pin it up. You can also trim the ends of the wig and you will be able to comb it again for a little while.

mshoneyfly

When wearing a long wig below the shoulders and it begins to matte, I turn the wig into an up do. Wear it in a bun or cute braids and pin it up. You can also trim the ends of the wig and you will be able to comb it again for a little while.

My tip for synthetic nappy ends:

Spray on a water conditioner mix and flat iron it while its still wet. The steam will straighten those bad boys out fo' real! Sooo silky!

When its tangled at the nape and ends during the day, spray the water conditioner or a leave in and comb or brush through. Synthetic hair gets dry just like human hair.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
My tips are :

Oil the wig clips, combs, Etc. I also oil my scalp where the wig sits. It protects the hair.

I don't use a stocking cap. I use a black silk scarf to cover my hair and protect it.

Also for a realistic look.....I try to pick wigs that resemble my own hair.

The first picture is my hair. The second is my half wig Livia by Outre. She is shorter than My hair which makes her more believable because she's thicker than my real Hair.

Attachments

• image-2118921681.jpg
    image-2118921681.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 95
  • image-397552644.jpg
    image-397552644.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 101

movingforward

Moving forward and onward
My tip for wearing synthetic lace front wigs. Mind you, I don't wear wig caps or anything similar underneath my wigs.

I lather my hair with castor oil to prevent dryness. I also spray a moisturizing oil on the underside of my wig. I also put castor oil on the the lace of the wig. I find the lace causes alot of dryness for me and I had some light breakage because of it. This technique has stopped the "lace rubbing" in it's tracks.

Another tip, I received on youtube. Summarizing, if you are going to wear the lace behind your hairline. To hide the light lace edge, take your eyeliner pencil and color the lace in to match your hair color.

This youtube video shows it well. It starts around 4:03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBGuhjcXAPI

ForestRose

Is it better to just buy a wig or do it diy? I'm trying to go with the most affordable as I want something that looks real. Too many people where I live who wear hair that defy gravity.

Cheapest will be to buy some tracks, a lace front sew it to a wig cap.. More expensive would be to get the wig ready made. Where does everyone buy their hair from?

I'm also looking at wearing mostly full time till September