will a curly perm help???

BrwnSugaBabee

Wondering if I get a curly perm will it help with my length retention since i would not need to use heat as much. I am not exactly sure how they work? My hair's curl pattern is kinda weak, and I think some has been permanantly straightened due to a flat iron. What do you ladies think about this? What is the verdict on curly perms?

PecanSandie

Brownsuga, I would advise against a curly perm/body wave. There are talented people out there that can put these perm/waves in your hair and you can't even tell that it is a "curl". I wore this for about two years and my hair grew to brastrap length. She put the perm on my hair to straighten it, but did not use rods, then she would neutralize it and it was straight, but I required so many of those moisturizing products to keep my hair from drying out that I was literally afraid of open flames! I kept thinking of that darn Michael Jackson pepsi commercial. Also, if you like the look of relaxed hair, its hard to get your hair to look like a relaxer roller set for over 1-2 days w/o severe dryness. In addition, I found out that curly perms and highlights are not friends.
It is also difficult to transition back to a traditional relaxer after a curly perm because the two products are not compatible and severe breakage will result. I decided to cut my hair down to about 3 inches of new growth about 7 months ago and start over with a traditional relaxer. I miss my hair, but I always felt like my collars were dirty with the curly perm maintenance products! My hair feels much cleaner now. If you decide to try it, just know that it is really hard to transition back.
HTH
Pecan

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
A friend of mine at school has a curly perm, that looks great and natural. She said that her hair grew out alot, but when she wanted to straighten her hair more, it started breaking. She's growing it out now.

BrwnSugaBabee

Thank you both for responding...lol at Mike in the Pepsi commericial! All in all seems that this is very drying to the hair..especially if i want to straighten it? hmm....Well off to my next bright idea :lachen:

sereia

I had a Wave Nouveau and it looked very natural but my scalp suffered and it reverted partially after one month. I also had a lot of breakage after two months (I tried to stretch - no problem with a relaxer). It depends on your stylist. I am glad I tried it but now I´m happily back to relaxers after growing out my hair for 18 mo.s. I prefer to be independent of stylists :yep:

sweetpuff

I just wanted to thank BrwnSugaBabee for asking the question and for all others to respond. It gives e info on curly perms.

I went to a salon to put a s-curl a month ago. I did not see much of the progress since I decided to put braids on them (I'll take them of in like 2 days. Can't wait) but I loooooved the wash-n-go style. I did not mind so much about the products staining my hair because when curled, they don't touch my collar.
I have to attend a wedding july 7th at I planned on flat ironing them,knowing I would go back to the wash-n-go style the next day. I also know that I did not need to see the stylist for a touch-up before a couple of months, which is awesome.
But I don't know if I feel at ease with the 'no more than 2 days' straight style when my hair will grow long. I'm in a dilema but I'm happy I got the info. Thanks!!!

God Bless