Will YOU Ever STOP Protective Styling?

soon2bsl

Hey ladies! So I was just thinking how so many of us (myself included) PS majority of the time, or even 24/7 in order to reach our goal lengths. For me I don't mind PSing right now especially coming up on 17 months of transitioning... it helps not to have to deal with the two textures and it's awesome for my retention, so basically it's become like 2nd nature. I also like the way protectives styles looks and the ease of doing them.

Just curious to see how many of you will stop PSing once you reach your goal length or do you think you will always PS after reaching your final goal even if it's a few days a week? (Sorry if this has been asked before, but if so I haven't seen it. Feel free to post the link if it has. :) )

Last edited:

Allandra

Hey ladies! So I was just thinking how so many of us (myself included) PS majority of the time, or even 24/7 in order to reach our goal lengths. For me I don't mind PSing right now especially coming up on 17 months of transitioning... it helps not to have to deal with the two textures and it's awesome for my retention, so basically it's become like 2nd nature.

Just curious to see how many of you will stop PSing once you reach your goal length or do you think you will always PS after reaching your final goal even if it's a few days a week? (Sorry if this has been asked before, but if so I haven't seen it. Feel free to post the link if it has. :) )
Well, since I never wore my hair down all the time, I can easily say I won't ever stop protective styling. To me, protect styles are just regular ole style options for me, and I don't mind them at all.

LaFemmeNaturelle

HA! NEVER! I actually just decided to go back to buns because my hair is becoming too much to handle. I just wanna wash it, comb it, and clip it up. So because they are so easy and last long, protective styles will NEVER be out of my regimen.

I've been wearing buns on a daily basis basically since the 7th grade. It was never about protective styling. Just an easy style.

hannan

I think when I reach my goal length, I might take it easy with the protective styling BUT I pretty much have no choice other than bunning when I'm wearing my hijab :laugh:

diadall

I have only been protective styling for about a month and I am sad to report--I miss my hair. It may only be SL but I miss the way I look with my hair. I miss its big, poofy, bouncy flair.

I am going to keep doing it until January 1. But its getting tough.

soon2bsl

Well, since I never wore my hair down all the time, I can easily say I won't ever stop protective styling. To me, protect styles are just regular ole style options for me, and I don't mind them at all.

I agree! Before I began my hhj I either wore my hair all down or in a ponytail, with occasionally wearing sew ins and micros. Although I'd never go back to micros, I did all those styles as another styling option.

HA! NEVER! I actually just decided to go back to buns because my hair is becoming too much to handle. I just wanna wash it, comb it, and clip it up. So because they are so easy and last long, protective styles will NEVER be out of my regimen.

I've been wearing buns on a daily basis basically since the 7th grade. It was never about protective styling. Just an easy style.

Exactly! I was thinking I don't think I'll ever just wear it down everyday...especially living in Florida and it's so hot almost half the year. Yes and buns are my main PS...so easy to do.

No, because PS are my staple hairstyles. I love buns and updos :love2:

Me too!

Last edited:

NikkiQ

PSing is just a way of life for me. While I was relaxing, I never really wore my hair down completely. Now durin my transition, it's safely hidden away and probably will be up about 80% of the time once I'm 100% natural.

winnettag

When I reach my goal length, I won't PS as often, but yes I will still do it. Probably cute buns and updo's. I'll want to hang on to those old delicate ends.

diadall

Hopefully as I see the benefits of PS and as my hair gets longer allowing me to have a variety of styles I can get accustomed to PS.

beautyaddict1913

ur hair is ridiculously gorgeous! Luv the siggy pic!

I will never stop ps'ing...weave is so much fun to me! I have always worn braids since I was in middle school, then in 2007 I was introduced to weave so I am a life-long ps'er. I weave for variety and convenience, rather than for length retention.

SimJam

before I knew what PS was, I was doing them BC I rarely wore my hair out (when I was relaxed) was always in a bun, french braid or updo.

as a natural I luv PSing and plan to continue to goal (MBL) when I KNOW I wont have a choice but to PS cause that will be a whole dern mess of hair LOL

davisbr88

I have a long way to go but I think that once I reach HL, I will definitely still be PS'ing during the week just for convenience, but I am definitely trying to wear it down more often than I do now. And if I don't leave the house, I'll probably still wear it down, just so I can feel it on my back. :)
I only plan to straighten 3 times a year, so those would be the only times I'd be for sure wearing it down as much as possible. Most of the time it would be shrunken and probably in a bun or something unless I had a special occasion. I can't wait until I have enough hair for a decent bun.
ETA: I know for sure that I will probably never wear wigs after I reach it. I barely wear them now, and I used to wear them ALL the time. Now, I'm looking forward to phony puffs and buns for a while, but I think that as soon as I can get a decent bun (which I hope is around APL) sometime in 2011, I'll be done with fake hair for good.

Last edited:

Carisa

i will definely not ps as much when i reach my goals. Right now i am wearing braids and wigs but it is unlikely when i reach mbl that i will continue this ps at all- if i do decide to ps i will probably wear buns or updos mainly

Toy

I will wear it out every now and then but Ps'ing is just the way of life like NikkiQ said.

brg240

I will never stop. Buns forever lol

But growing up I wore a bun almost everyday, it's so convienent. I love them.

I will try wearing less buns, i have heard complaints that I never wear my hair out.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Once I reach MBL, I will wear it out occasionally but not daily like I use to before my hhj. For now, PS non-stop. I'm moving my PS into a different phase -- lace fronts, half wigs, etc to change it up and keep the art of PS fresh so that I don't get worn out on it.

sunnieb

I will always PS in some form. It's mostly out of habit. Shoo, I was the "french roll with the little white pearls in it" queen in the early 90s!

nzeee

As long as i'm natural (4b) i'm forced to stretch my hair (without risking damage by using heat). so the only options for non-heat stretching are the styles considered as protective styles. but i'm not necessarily doing it for protection, moreso because even after a day of leaving my hair out the knots i get and the hair i loose detangling is enough to make me avoid it forever. last week i was low on time so instead of rushing the detangling session required to stretch, i just spritzed aloe juice, added condish, baggied, slapped a wig on and went. didn't detangle until next day. and OMG!! the pain and sufferation to detangle the mess my hair became after leaving it unstretched so long was enough to make me vow to never ever ever do that again.

so no puffs, no afros, no WNGs (but i've never done this except at twa stage). *sniff. the closest i get to 'out' would be a bun but i don't even think that is stretched enough. i need as much hair as possible to be caught up and stretched out to prevent SSKs and tangles.

PS forever! it's not so bad tho... when i want the look of 'out' hair i use my arsenal of wigs :grin:

ladylo

As long as i'm natural (4b) i'm forced to stretch my hair (without risking damage by using heat). so the only options for non-heat stretching are the styles considered as protective styles. but i'm not necessarily doing it for protection, moreso because even after a day of leaving my hair out the knots i get and the hair i loose detangling is enough to make me avoid it forever. last week i was low on time so instead of rushing the detangling session required to stretch, i just spritzed aloe juice, added condish, baggied, slapped a wig on and went. didn't detangle until next day. and OMG!! the pain and sufferation to detangle the mess my hair became after leaving it unstretched so long was enough to make me vow to never ever ever do that again.

so no puffs, no afros, no WNGs (but i've never done this except at twa stage). *sniff. the closest i get to 'out' would be a bun but i don't even think that is stretched enough. i need as much hair as possible to be caught up and stretched out to prevent SSKs and tangles.

PS forever! it's not so bad tho... when i want the look of 'out' hair i use my arsenal of wigs :grin:

ITA. My unstretched hair causes too many problems so I gotta keep it twisted or braided. Afro styles and puffs = tangles and SSKs.:sad: PS's = happy hair.:yep: That said, i would still brave the awful detangling session at least once or twice a year so that I could rock a huge MBL fro. I would also probably want to straighten a couple of times a year too to show off the length. Unfortunately with 4b hair that loves to tangle and hates to be straightened both of these styling choices will likely lead to setback city.:perplexed Oh well, it's just hair and I want to have fun!

afrikurl

Where the heyall is the thank you button?

I used to love having my afro out. I'd twist my hair on sunday for the week and by wednesday, I'd be like "is it the end of the week yet?" cause I wanted my twist out. Now, I'm at the point where I like protective styles because when I wake up, my hair is done. I just moisturize it before bed and voila.

EbonyCPrincess

Agreed. I won't concentrate on PS'ing as much, but I don't necessarily PS hardcore now as it is. I don't use direct heat and I know that won't ever change but I rarely used direct heat before beginning my HHJ. I wore weaves/buns/braids/ponys and updo's before concentrating on growing my hair and will do so after I reach my goal. I probably will do it more often simply because as my hair gets longer there are more hazards but not because its a "rule."

nikolite

I love my protective styles, so no.

I'm hoping I'll have more intricate cornrows but with much longer braids like LongHairDontCare, and those I'll wear into a pretty bun. I'll also always wear twists into a bun, but when my hair gets longer I'll probably put in larger twists and I can't wait to do the protective styles I haven't been able to do yet (intricate, hair stick buns).

lilsparkle825

I think since it's something I never really forced myself to do (and when I did do a PSing challenge, I rotated styles I actually liked) I will never stop. I learned how to braid and twist with extensions because I thought it was cute, I picked up wet bunning because it was a super simple summer style, and I wear my hair up now because I think updos are elegant. Now that I am becoming an LHCF "veteran" (sorta) I will always find PSing to an extent integral to keeping this length I was able to retain, although if I get to a certain length and want to wear my hair out, I will do it. I can definitely see myself getting to WL and bunning a lot, just because that's a lot of hair to deal with brushing, detangling and styling on a daily basis! There will never be a limit on the number of times I have to wear my hair up or down in a given week, unless I randomly decide to do another HYH challenge or something.