Winter Breakage Crisis!!!!!

goldensensation

I already told you guys how I noticed extra splits. Well today, I guess I experienced the consequences of those splits. :perplexed My hair started breaking as I combed it out. I stopped after I saw like 10 broken pieces.

I was gonna wash today anyway but I panicked and used a product that I hate- the liquid ApHogee. The last time that I used this product was a year ago and in total, not counting this time, I have only used it twice. I'm hoping that my problem was with the follow-up ApHogee moisturizing conditioner and not the protein itself.

So today, I washed with the ApHogee shampoo, put the liquid stinky protein and I followed it up with my keracare humecto. I've had it on my head for about an hour now. Wish me luck, yall!

Oh, and if my breakage problem gets under control, I will be relaxing this weekend- a week early. :ohwell: (11 weeks)

Candy_C

goldensensation said:
I already told you guys how I noticed extra splits. Well today, I guess I experienced the consequences of those splits. :perplexed My hair started breaking as I combed it out. I stopped after I saw like 10 broken pieces.

I was gonna wash today anyway but I panicked and used a product that I hate- the liquid ApHogee. The last time that I used this product was a year ago and in total, not counting this time, I have only used it twice. I'm hoping that my problem was with the follow-up ApHogee moisturizing conditioner and not the protein itself.

So today, I washed with the ApHogee shampoo, put the liquid stinky protein and I followed it up with my keracare humecto. I've had it on my head for about an hour now. Wish me luck, yall!

Oh, and if my breakage problem gets under control, I will be relaxing this weekend- a week early. :ohwell: (11 weeks)

Argh i'm sure u'll be kool!

When my hair breaks i get lottttttttttssssssssss, count yourself lucky with ten!!!! hope that makes u feel better lol

goldensensation

I am currently airdrying and I lost more hair when I was combing it out. I still have tangles and I have some sections of matted hair. I am SO frustrated right now. I feel like doing a mini big chop. I wont have any hair by the time I relax this weekend :cry3:

And it isnt even my new growth that is matted.

Candy_C

goldensensation said:
I am currently airdrying and I lost more hair when I was combing it out. I still have tangles and I have some sections of matted hair. I am SO frustrated right now. I feel like doing a mini big chop. I wont have any hair by the time I relax this weekend :cry3:

And it isnt even my new growth that is matted.

Number: 1, do not stress! this is just a yearly hurdle we get sometimes, u will get this sorted out. what could it be, since u noticed the breakage what have you done differently? think hard, i bet you will think of a few things that have changed?

Number: 2, weather is factor, have u been wearing your hair out? to you detangle your hair when wet? i personally will not dare to detangle my hair when wet, its gotta before a wash with plenty of oils in.

Number 3, what products have you been using? have u been getting your balance of protein/moisture? what about build-up, isit a possibility?

Number 4, have you changed your style recently? been using bands in the same place? when have you last dusted/trimmed?

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I feel ya! I got a visit from the breakage fairy too. I started my own baggie challenge to save my ends. I would suggest protective styles a bun or tucked under ponytail or braid. Moisturize and concetrate on your ends, then seal them with oil and then bun up.

Oh yeah, combing air dried hair is a big NO NO. I never comb my hair once its air dried. Please rewet your hair, even if its just misting with water, before you comb.

HTH

ETA: I saw your progress pic in your siggy. Protect those ends, girl!

Last edited:

goldensensation

Thanks, simply and candy, for the words of encouragement. :)

I try to detangle my hair before and after washing, but mainly after. That backfired on me this time.

For the past two weeks I have tried a few new things. I tried making my own conditioner mix-ups- only worked out good once. And I tried NTM silk-touch leave-in. It worked good on wet hair the first time, and that too failed me this wash. I used almost the whole bottle in one week. :ohwell:

The lengths of these broken hairs are scary. I guess I'll just have to cut up to bra-strap this weekend after I get my hair relaxed. And I got such good growth too. :perplexed Hopefully it wont look so bad after I relax.

Hair Peace

The breakage fairy is busy! She's decided to visit me too this week. But I have to say I skipped my emergencee treatment the last time I washed. Could that be the culprit? Does anyone else do a weekly emergencee treatment?

Isis

simplycee said:
I feel ya! I got a visit from the breakage fairy too. I started my own baggie challenge to save my ends. I would suggest protective styles a bun or tucked under ponytail or braid. Moisturize and concetrate on your ends, then seal them with oil and then bun up.

Oh yeah, combing air dried hair is a big NO NO. I never comb my hair once its air dried. Please rewet your hair, even if its just misting with water, before you comb.

HTH

ETA: I saw your progress pic in your siggy. Protect those ends, girl!
ITA with what Simplycee said including not combing air dried hair. That's one very important thing I learned on this board.

blessed

The breakage fairy is truly on a mission. I thought that I was the only one who was experiencing this but I guess not. I didn't think about the fact that I have been wearing my hair out a lot this winter and its been really windy which always leaves my hair with tangles. But I think I may moisturize more and try to work harder on protecting my hair for the remainder of the winter.