Winter Care Tips For Wavy, Curly, and Coily Strands

Coffee

I received the following from Hair Boutique.com:

Once Fall changes into Winter, waves, curls and coils are assaulted by brittle winds and frizz-producing rain, ice and snow (depending on the part of the world you live in) and dry conditions.

Waves, curls and coily kinks just don’t have a chance unless they are well-prepared to deal with the onset of Winter Winds.

You can win against all the winter texture enemies by adopting an excellent hair care program. It is more important than ever to use only the very best quality products for your strands.

Even if you have a tight budget remember that you can stretch out the time between wet cleansings and you can dilute quality hair care products to stretch them much longer.

Although you may be tempted or seduced by less expensive hair care products, remember that a few bucks saved initially could result in long term frizz and other hair challenges.

Steps to Winter-Proof Your Strands

1. Moisturize, moisturize and moisturize some more.

2. Avoid over-cleansings, over-shampooing and using hot water. Yes, it feels good when it’s cold outside but hot water applied to your delicate tresses will remove any natural moisture you may have.

The best cleansing schedule should be between you and your tresses. You know what is best for maintaining the proper moisture balance.

For optimal results, the longer you can go between shampoo sessions (please dilute any high quality moisturizing shampoo when possible), the better. Wave, curl, coily hair expert Barbara Lhotan recommends only washing hair one to two times per month during the Winter unless your hair needs a once a week cleansing. You will need to experiment to find your own best cleansing and CO schedules.

In between cleansings utilize the option to Condition Only (CO) wash with lukewarm water. Don’t forget to apply a rinse out conditioner and then a conditioning post-CO wash conditioning cocktail.

In between, keep dry ends moist with
jojoba oil based products or products your tresses respond to.

3. While you should avoid over-cleaning you should definitely focus on over-conditioning. Since Winter Weather will sap natural textured strands you need to hold onto as much conditioning power as possible to prevent dry, parched frizzy hair.

Depending on your hair type (fine/thin, medium, thick, extra thick) and current condition (normal, damaged, extremely damaged) and oil base (normal, oily, dry, extra dry), you may want to consider the following conditioning agents:
Rene Furterer’s Myrrhea Silkening Mask, Phyto’s Daily Hydrating Cream, and JF Lazartigue's Moisturizing Conditioner.

4. Schedule deep conditioning and oil treatments. Depending on the needs of your hair type, texture, condition and length you definitely need to consider working in deep conditioning and/or oil treatments. Some waves, curls and kinks respond well to a combination of deep conditioners and hot oil treatments. A personal favorite of mine is
Leonor Greyl’s Huile de Palme Treatment.

Other hair types do better with one or the other, but not necessarily both.

5. Avoid chemical hair treatments as much as possible. If your hair is highlighted, low lighted or chemically relaxed or straightened try to wait as long as possible in between treatments to minimize damage and dryness during Winter months.

6. Protect hair from brutal cold winds by wearing cute caps, hats or
wide bandeau headbands. The human body loses heat through the top of the head while cold winds will zap hair of moisture.

7. Air-dry hair whenever possible, which is another reason for only cleansing as infrequently as possible for your hair’s needs and condition. When the weather is cold it’s hard to go outside of the house with damp strands. Schedule hair washing on weekends when hair will have plenty of time to air dry.

Another option is to do a wet-set or wet-bun and sit under a
hood hairdryer on a low setting to remove excess moisture without drying out delicate strands.

8. Learn to read hair product labels. Tune into the needs of your waves, curls, coils and kinks. You know what ingredients work best for your hair type, texture and current condition.

Only select products you know work best for you and your hair.

nola1176

Great info. My problem so far is finding a protective style for winter. And drying must be done on the weekend uz when I get home, I'm just too tired to fool with my hair. But I really need to do something for it during the week.

Working on a regimen now, which is very hard but must be done. As of last night I'm weave free and my hair is very delicate. Lots of shedding happening. Gotta figure out what to do!