Winter Hair Care Routines

nijilah

Hello everyone,

Well, I have been on this healthy long hair kick for about a year and a half. I have noticed that it is easy for me to care for my hair during every season but winter. The cold weather makes my dry and brittle and as a result, my hair breaks. This is my current winter hair care routine and please post yours. I think these routines will definitely be helpful to those of us who have extra dry hair.

·Go to fabric store and buy an assortment of silk or satin materials to make into scarves (cheap way to do it)
·As soon as I come home from work, plait hair in about 10 plaits and wear a silk or satin scarf if I go out
·All weekend, keep hair in plaits and wear a silk or satin scarf
·When bathing, keep a thick towel on my head to absorb the moisture instead of a plastic shower cap
·Use a humidifier at home and work
·Wash hair every Friday – alternate every week between olive oil and mayo as pre-shampoo hot oil treatments for 1-2 hours
·Finger comb hair while washing it in shower
·Use coconut oil as post-shampoo conditioner – leave in for 1 hour under a shower cap and then rinse well
·Towel dry hair, oil the scalp with a mixture of jojoba and rosary oil, apply a modification of Sweetcocoa’s WONDERFUL Shea Butter recipe to hair only, and plait hair in about 10 plaits
·Besides hair washing day, twice a week, oil the scalp with a mixture of jojoba and rosary oil
·Besides hair washing day, twice a week, spray hair with a mixture of glycerine and water, and then apply a modification of Sweetcocoa’s WONDERFUL Shea Butter recipe to hair only
·Every 6 weeks, deep cleanse hair to remove product build-up, use Aphogee as a protein treatment, and while deep conditioning afterwards, comb hair with a wide tooth comb

Shampoos: Cream of Nature, Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo, and Jason’s Natural Biotin Shampoo

Every 6-week protein treatment products: Aphogee Shampoo for damaged hair mixed with baking soda, Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair, Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer, and Fantasia IC Deep Penetrating Crème Moisturizer

Things to Try: African Formula’s Botanical Moisturizing Crème-Rinse and Aubrey Organic’s Rosemary and Sage Hair and Scalp Rinse

daviine

my plans for this winter

1.In order to wash my hair as frequently as possible, I probably won't do many hot oil treatments unless I sleep with the oil in my hair on a Friday night and then wash on a Saturday morning. Otherwise I'm ging to experiment with putting oil in my conditioner and sitting under the dryer. If I'm not planning on doing a DEEP conditioning, then I guess I'll apply hot oil...it's just too time consuming for me to be doing in the winter.
2. Wash hair 1-2 times a week using the following shampoos—Crème of Nature Ultra-Moisturizing Shampoo and Glover's Medicated Shampoo

3. Condition after every shampoo. –
--1x a month—I use Dudley’s DRC-28 followed by Mizani Moisturefuse
--Instant (if in a rush)—Dark & Lovely UltraCholesterol, Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, L"oreal Feria Color Moisturizing Treatment
--Deep --- Queen Helene Cholesterol and/or Mizani Moisturefuse
--Leave-in –Back-to Basic Sunflower Detangling Leave-In, Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner

4. Dry hair.---I usually air dry my hair. I apply the back to Basics leave-in, then Elucence Moisture Balancing and jojoba oil mixed together.Then I sometimes reapply some jojoba oil on the ends.

5. Wear a protective style--- for me this is usually a bun.

6. Keep hair lubricated. –water, leave-in conditioner, curl activator, jojoba oil (or whatever the l’huile du jour is )—I usally do this when putting my hair in a bun

7. Protect ends by moisturizing and oiling ends as needed

8. Tie hair up or braid hair before going to sleep. Use a satin pillowcase as a backup. II REALLY have to work on this...this is my weak point

9.Comb/Brush/Manipulate hair as little as possible.

10. Take vitamins consistently, eat properly, exercise regularly, and increase water intake. Okay well, I try to take them consistently but I’m not a consistent type of girl. So this step doesn’t really happen but I’ll get working on it. These are the vitamins I’m SUPPOSED to be taking: All from Puritan’s Pride except Vitamin Shoppe Biotin 5 mg

C-Complex 1000mg
B-150 Mega B-complex
Biotin 1000 mcg
Vitamin E 400 i.u .
One (multivitamin and mineral)
Blackstrap Molasses & chelated iron 15 mg iron
Essential Oils (flaxseed, borage, vitamin e, fish oil)

I plan on adding B-5 but as of this past week the only thing I have consistenty taken is the biotin.

*products mostly depend on what’s in my bathroom at the time! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

sweetcocoa

I've been wearing my hair down alot(since it's not humid)...but since it's gotten cold, I've noticed how dry it's getting so I'm back to the routine I did in the summer(with a slight modification). I'm only gonna do a roller set once a week(2 days max) then I'm gonna use dilluted shampoo on the nights I workout followed by some of my shea butter pomade melted and add Pantene Pro-V Smooth and Sleek or PM Supercharged and use this as a leave in followed by Carol's Daughter HHB. I then let it air dry overnight(it's usually still damp in the morning). I'll then wear my hair up in a bun. I did this today after my aerobics class and my hair feels sooo much better(it feels and looks soft shiny and 'moist'. I use my pomade for everything...including hot oil treatments and rollersets(I think the heat from the hair dryer gives me a mini oil treatment that I don't rinse out.) I definitley feel a difference when I use something else.

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
·Go to fabric store and buy an assortment of silk or satin materials to make into scarves (cheap way to do it)

[/ QUOTE ]

What an excellent idea! I'm going to that also. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I will definately keep up with washing and deep conditioning every 3 days. Winter is always a really hard time on my hair. Now that I'm aware of this, I'll be moisturizing the heck out of my hair all winter long. I've also been wearing a plastic cap a lot whenever I'm home or under my wool or cotton winter hats when I go out. /images/graemlins/smile.gif And of course, I'll be consistent with my vitamins. /images/graemlins/smile.gif