Winter Hair Care Routines

Isis

CurliDiva said:
I got an IDEA while browsing in my favorite second hand store yesterday!

Since hair can get caught and break rubbing against winter fabrics, I plan to buy a few cheap silk blouses and create silk dickeys)that I can wear under my sweaters but over the collar – so that my hair only touches the silk material.:)
I too love your idea. I'm wondering about buying silk fabric to do the same thing... :scratchch

My routine doesn't change too much. I always wear silk or satin scarves when outside which means under a hat or hood too. I wear my hair in a braided bun or a braidout.

maryj1584

i really want to wear my hair out, but I am scurred after reading everyones post. I am sick of my baggy bun :mad: . I really am. I want to enjoy my hair a bit. I guess that i'll just use a moisturizing hair mask the night b4 i rollerset and moisturize religously, I am really sick of this bun. Ahh.

Cincysweetie

maryj1584 said:
i really want to wear my hair out, but I am scurred after reading everyones post. I am sick of my baggy bun :mad: . I really am. I want to enjoy my hair a bit. I guess that i'll just use a moisturizing hair mask the night b4 i rollerset and moisturize religously, I am really sick of this bun. Ahh.

Why not do braid outs? Moisturize your hair as usual, but then follow with a braid out. You can alternate between braid outs and loosely pinned hair during the week. Just make sure your ends are protected ever so often. I find my ends are more moisturized during the day with braidouts than when I wear it straight. HTH.

xstacy2

for me it is real simple . i have to wear hair net to work anyway ( ready to drink factory) buning is a way for me to do less stressful things to my hair.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I'm in MA and the winters here are so brutal. As much as I hate to I'll be wearing a bun 99% of the time to protect my ends. So I will continue to shampoo twice a week and cw or rinse every other night. I may up my deep conditoning to twice a week with heat. Use vaseline or shea butter on the length of my ponytail before putting it up into a bun. I will coninue to cover my head with a silk scarf before I put on my hat.

maryj1584

my hair hates manipulation even more than heat, everytime I try to do a braid out or bantu knots or twistout(that one failed miserably), I just get massive breakage. i dont know what to do, my hair acts best when I bun it up for the week or rollerset it for the week, i cant manage anythiing else. I have decided that the next time I wear my hair down, I am going to moisturize and condition it like crazy and then rollerset.I have planned it out. I would

1. Sleep in a NTM mask mixed with evoo (prepoo)
2. Wash with Diluted CON
3. Deep condition with some wheat germ/evoo/honey mix
4. Do a rinse with 12 en 1 mixed with some evoo.
5. Put lots of leave in conditioners, cantu and giovanni and ntm and MNT, evoo and some coco butter.

I hope that is not too much, but i really need to get to go the extra mile to protect my hair this winter. I would probably be rollersetting on sunday.

Cincysweetie said:
Why not do braid outs? Moisturize your hair as usual, but then follow with a braid out. You can alternate between braid outs and loosely pinned hair during the week. Just make sure your ends are protected ever so often. I find my ends are more moisturized during the day with braidouts than when I wear it straight. HTH.

morehairplease

Twisties said:
This is my winter plan (hope I can get at least an inch, since my hair grows very slow) - modified Crown and Glory Technique from www.growafrohairlong.com/.

-Wear Braids (singles/individuals) – done at African Gallery shop with extensions on 11/9/05

-Wash once a week (or more if needed) using Nioxin or Nizoral Shampoos alternately (Note: installing shower filter soon and I hope it clears up eczema and softens hair and skin)

-Condition hair with Nioxin Scalp Therapy after each wash

-Oil scalp very, very lightly with Vaseline (yes, Vaseline-long story) and massage gently

-Apply leave-in moisturizer and strengthener to braids and hair only, not my scalp (Infusium 23, Carefree Curl Activator, Better Braids Spray, or IC PM Oil by Fantasia)

Take braids down on February 11, 2006. Will wear wig for protection during conditioning period.

Complete 2 Weeks of Deep Conditioning
Twice per week: Wash hair, deep condition with either Hair by Nutress, Nixon Strength and Structure, Fantasia IC Deep Moisture Conditioner or any other good deep conditioner in my stash.

Re-braid my hair on February 25 and Repeat process above thru May 20, 2006. (Will try American shop this time- the African gallery did a few spots too tight and I had to steam to loosen them).

Vitamins:
Centrum Multi
Hair and Nails Vitamin
Liquid B-Complex
Flax Seed Oil

Wow, awesome plan Twisties!

curlfriend

I'll be wigging it up until May :p. And doing cw's twice a week and daily moisturizing with castor oil, infusium leave-in & Organics leave-in for Kids.

Twisties

tishee said:
Wow, awesome plan Twisties!
Thanks Tishee. It's going very well. It' will be a month on the 9th. I've been sticking with the program. I got my filter too. And now all my sisters want to use MY shower :). I can see a difference in my skin already. Yesterday (Sunday), I put my braids (they're pretty long) in flat twist in the front and a bun in the back and I like it because it's out of my way. Only 2 months to go! They're still look pretty new, no itching since I am washing once a week. I do think I am going to have to get the edges touched up in about three weeks though.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Bumping!!:) I will be back to wearing wigs with my hair well moisturized in twists or plaits underneath until Spring and washing once a week instead of daily.

Last edited:

sassyhair

I will probably wash less and use shampoo less. which means I will co wash once a week and shampoo once every two weeks. I will also probably be wearing braids from november to my b-day in february. So that covers most of the winter then for my b-day I plan on gettin a full head weave.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I plan on doing the same think I've been doing, daily co washes and wets sets at night.

curlyj

I'll be pulling out my wig for the winter...NY Winters can do some serious damage to the hair. My hair thrives with minimal minipulation...I had wonderful results last year and know that this winter will be a breeze- style wise with the wonderful benefit of super growth.
Wash 2x per week
Protein(Elasta QP BCS)- Seal Ends(with EVOO,heat,foil method)
Moisture(MNT/Kids Organics/MB)- Hot Oil Treatment(Castor/Coconut)

cocoberry10

Peachtree said:
I'm keeping mine bunned for the winter.

This is my plan too. Although I will probably do braids at some point between now and December. I have never tried a sew in weave, but am becoming more tempted at the thought.

Peachtree

My winter regimen is always the same...
pre-poo, poo, cond, leave in, oil the ends, leave in plaits to airdry, wear buns throughout the week, & start all over again at day 8 or so :)

Qetesh

Now that I have read other comments and I signed up for the no heat challenge, I plan on buns for the majority of the winter, co wash once a week shampoo every 2 weeks. On really cold days I will wear a wig to protect my hair and keep my head warm. The only time I plan on wearing my hair out is special occasions. Well see how this goes I am pretty sure the reason I stay at midback is I wear my hair down everyday and particularly in the winter months this causes breakage.
Ill work on a regimen as time goes and I get a better feel for my hair

Blkbeautyhair

Gosh I had not even thought about a winter regime. I guess I will be doing the dreded bun which has been my mainstay since July and frankly I'm sick of it but hey it's better than my end rubbing against my wool coat and sweaters all winter. Outside of that I'm thinking some other kind of up do and roller sets.

Ebonygurl00

Even though it doesn't get super-cold where I live, I'll have to step up the moisture. I'll moisturize my hair 2 times a day with my Elucence MB conditioner/EVOO and continue protective styling. No wearing my hair down AT ALL.

carameldiva

i plan to get my hair cornrowed and keep it like that. I also plan to get a good wig and wear that over the cornrows and utilize the baggie method. Gonna use all my oils and leave-ins too. Will wash hair and condition it weekly.

lala

My routine doesn't change, I may simply apply my products heavier (if necessary).

Nanyanika

After my touch ups, I'll be washing my hair every 1-2 weeks, and keeping my hair in a baggie. At the four-fifth week I will add hair exstensions for two months to give my hair a rest.

Undefeated Queen

I will keep my hair up this winter. I bantu knot the braids for my braidout to make it tighter but it take a loooooong time to dry. I guess I'll start sitting under the hooded dryer for about an hour before bed. Hopefully it'll be dry in the morning.