Winter Hair Vs. Summer Hair

JJamiah

How do you wear your hair and protect those precious strands during the cold frigid weather, compared to the hot smothering heat. Does your regimen change?

I am going to be hiding my hair until the weather gets warmer here in NJ (cold winter weather). So I will be wigging it up, maintaining my weekly hair care, just when I go out I will be wigging it. I was concerned with the weather beating my hair up. This was my solution :) along with the obvious lock on my cards. :)

I have questions

How does your hair feel in the summer? what do you change in your product line?

Your of Winter VS. Summer hair styles

Winter - Wigging it out this year; weekly washing

Summer - Phony Pony; 2-3 weekly co/washing

In the Spring and Fall I am more with leaving my hair out and less lazy on styling.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I do the same thing in the summer that I do in the winter. I been on a extremely strict regime for the past 17 months. All I do is co-wash every 3 days, DC after every co-wash/shampoo, baggie bun every 3 days, and stretch my relaxers a min of 10 weeks. I use Suave Hunmentant or my butter mix as moisturizers, and only wear my hair out a min of once a month. It has made my hair go from barly SL to BSL. Oh another thing, I use no heat unless I'm doing a DC and I'm short on time. I will go under my dome dryer.

Whimsy

I straighten more in the winter....summer I do more wash n gos.

I moisturize a lot yearround.

And I bun a lot yearround as well.

ceebee3

This is my first winter paying attention to my hair so I'll just be doing the same thing I've done all year and see how it plays out before making any adjustments.

Hot oil treatment or protein treatment, wash, DC, roller set or bun once a week.

ChristmasCarol

In the summer, I wore messy ponytails. Now I know that ponying breaks my nape hair, so I plan on wearing it straight down for a few days every week, and in a French twist the other days. I'll continue with my cowash regimen and DC as usual. I am going to get a humidifier, however. That should help with all the dry heat in the house in winter.

ETA: Cowash 3-4 times/wk
DC 1x/wk

PPGbubbles

I usually hide my hair in the winter in braids weaves or whatever.

Spring time I wear more straight styles

Summer I rock more fros and twistouts and puffs, styles I dont have to worry about sweating out.

bludaydreamr

I am definatly have to up the moisture and DC, and I really want twist extensions because they are just hella easier then me twisting and retwisting my hair. I just use both Castor oil and Shea butter to seal my hair every 3-4 days after a co-wash or weekly wash.

destine2grow

This is my first yr and winter on my HHJ. I plan on doing nothing but being in sew in the entire 2010. I currently have a sew in now. I will wear my hair for 2wks in between the sew ins. I was weekly and dc weekly. I moisturize everyday.

Makenzie

In the summer I can wash and go, or air dry rollersets. Since the weather has changed I find I am using more heat than normal. I make sure to keep my hair moisturized.

alanaj

This is my first winter as a natural. I got to say that I find myself doing more protective styles in winter. Well actually it's not that I do more, its that my "out" styles ie twist out braid out etc don't last as long in winter. My hair gets dry after 2 days whereas in summer i could rock them for like 4 days in a row no problem.
my hair is probly 4 or 5 inches longer now than it was in march so i am avoiding individual twists and braids cus they take forever (though I give them credit for getting me to this point) flat twisting is where it's at for me right now. if i ever learn to cornrow ill throw that in the mix too