Woman In Vegetative State Gives Birth At Hacienda Healthcare In Phoenix; Sex Abuse Investigation

awhyley

I had such a visceral reaction to the scene in Kill Bill where the male nurse charged men to have sex with comatose patients because I knew if someone hadn’t already done it they would after that movie.

They aren’t going to find the father.

I hope that the facility would have better security than that, and I hope that you're wrong and that they find the father/rapist pronto.

Soooooo was she menstruating before? Did they not notice that she stopped?

That was my question also.

awhyley

@Theresamonet She is receiving a tube feeding via a tube. She would receive a certain number of calories a day over a period of hours. 10 Years makes me think that she may have had bedsores. This is beyond nasty.

But aren't they required to massage their limbs?

and was only visited by family members every few months.

Here's the problem right here.

Most nurses aren’t checking to do more work. That plus with shift work it is not a guarantee that the patient will have a nurse frequently enough over a long period of time to notice a trend.

Edit after reading the article: This facility probably wasn’t bathing her daily either.

But shouldn't they be keeping track of the sanity items used daily/monthly?

The picture of the director. He looks Out there.

Can anyone se the photo. I can't.

Last edited:

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
She’s been at hacienda for 10 years but vegetative state since age of 3.

Horrible.

Wow......so for 26 years she has been in a vegetative state. That is so so sad. What a horrific way to live.

The family probably forgets about her hence the infrequent visits (if that is even true that they visit).

This has me questioning some things about end of life decisions. But let me not open a can of worms :look:

momi

Menina Preta

The mother lives 120 miles away and visits twice per month and didn't notice her daughter was pregnant. So if the mother didn't notice I guess I can see why the staff may have missed the signs....

So basically the patient experienced full labor without any medication probably having no idea what was going on. mercy

Horrible. This woman has been failed by many throughout her sad life, including her own family.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
I'll go there and say it's cruel to let a loved one exist in a vegetative state for 26 years. Having entered that state at 3 years old she would obviously not have expressed end-of-life wishes, but there has to be some sort of compassionate limit for this sort of ''existence''.

FadingDelilah

This is beyond horrible. Why in the world would they have male nurses catering to female patients alone!? This whole place should be shut down and this should be a major news story, pushing for law changes and spreading knowledge about this type of abuse. This isn't the first or the last time something like this has or will happen unless something is done on a bigger scale to protect the disabled. Can you imagine being paralyzed and raped? That is so evil.

His identity should be published, with pictures, once they find him, and he should get a life sentence with no parole. I feel so sad for her. It makes me sick knowing some people can do stuff like that to other human beings, just for their "pleasure." Sick.

HappilyLiberal

Wow......so for 26 years she has been in a vegetative state. That is so so sad. What a horrific way to live.

The family probably forgets about her hence the infrequent visits (if that is even true that they visit).

This has me questioning some things about end of life decisions. But let me not open a can of worms :look:

Girl... reading that has made me get it together on a DNR order for my medical files!

Leeda.the.Paladin

This is another poor woman in Florida.

A Florida mother is suing her developmentally disabled daughter's caregiver after woman became pregnant

The exterior of a health care facility in Escambia County, Florida where, according to court documents, a 23-year-old "non-verbal, immobile" woman was raped and impregnated.
(CNN)A Florida woman is suing her daughter's former health care provider and three of its employees, alleging the developmentally disabled 23-year-old was raped, impregnated and suffered physical injuries while in their care.

The lawsuit, filed on behalf of the patient, says National Mentor Healthcare's Pensacola Cluster failed to take proper care of the woman, who has profound intellectual disabilities, a neurological disorder called Rett syndrome and other physical ailments.
The patient is non-verbal and immobile, the lawsuit says. She also has trouble using her hands and arms.
"Our client's mother is outraged and devastated by what happened to her daughter, and wants to protect her daughter from abuse and for her daughter to be safe," attorney James Green Jr. said in a statement Thursday.

The case was investigated last year by the Escambia County Sheriff's Office, which said it couldn't identify a suspect and had exhausted all leads.
The daughter lived at the Pensacola Cluster intermediate-care facility from September 28, 2010, until February 7, 2018. She attended Escambia Westgate School on weekdays, a school for people with intellectual and physical disabilities, according to the lawsuit.
What happened
In late January 2018, Westgate employees who change the woman's diapers observed behavioral changes and physical injuries to the plaintiff, specifically bruising on her hip, the lawsuit says. They said she was crying and appeared to be in pain.
The lawsuit says Westgate staff notified Pensacola Cluster in three phone calls and in an email about concerns about injuries to the woman. Despite the calls, the suit says, the employees of Florida Mentor, which is part of Boston-based National Mentor Healthcare, didn't report the woman's injuries to state authorities.
The lawsuit also names Jennifer Prorock, an area director/administrator; Joyce Stokes, director of nursing; and Shaneoce Pace, assistant director of nursing. CNN could not reach any of the women for comment.
When the woman was sent to a doctor after the third contact from Westgate, an X-ray was ordered that uncovered a broken hip.
She needed surgery, the court document says. During a pre-surgery check, medical authorities discovered she was pregnant and did a sexual assault exam.
The lawsuit says the patient had a miscarriage, but it doesn't say when.
The executive director of Florida Mentor said they are committed to making a positive difference with patients.
The executive director of the Mentor network, which oversees the Pensacola Cluster, said the facility is cooperating with the investigation and the company is committed to making a positive difference with patients.
"We take our obligation to ensure the well-being of those we serve very seriously, including compliance with all reporting requirements," Carol Swanson said. "As part of our overall commitment to continuous quality improvement, we regularly review our protocols with the goal of enhancing the quality of our services and minimizing any risk to the health and safety of the individuals we support."
Sheriff says kit didn't find DNA
The lawsuit asks for unspecified damages and for costs covering medical and legal expenses and money spent on moving the woman to a new facility. The mother is the 23-year-old woman's legal guardian.
The sheriff's office said in a social media post authorities using a sexual assault kit were unable to find someone else's DNA.
"We are confident that all investigative leads have been exhausted," the office said on Facebook.
CNN reached out to the sheriff's office for additional comments but there was no further information, a spokesperson said.
A February 22, 2018 report from the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration found nine deficiencies at the facility.
The agency's investigation also found that Westgate records indicate that employees at the facility only responded "OK" when informed of the patient's injuries by school staff.
During an interview with a state investigator, Prorock said that after receiving an email from the patient's teacher, she met with Stokes and another employee and was told the patient had not acted "weird" during the weekend, according to the report.
Prorock told the investigator that someone examined the woman's physical condition and found no problems.
The administrator told an investigator she thought the woman's injuries may have been caused by an ill-fitting wheelchair.
No one at the Pensacola Cluster took action regarding the injuries until after a state investigator came to the facility, the report says.
Another review in March found the facility to be back in compliance and "all deficiencies were found to be corrected."
"Because of patient privacy laws, we cannot comment on a specific case," Florida AHCA spokeswoman Shelisha Coleman said.
CNN was unable to reach officials at Escambia Westgate School for comment.

Shula

This is another poor woman in Florida.

A Florida mother is suing her developmentally disabled daughter's caregiver after woman became pregnant

The exterior of a health care facility in Escambia County, Florida where, according to court documents, a 23-year-old "non-verbal, immobile" woman was raped and impregnated.
(CNN)A Florida woman is suing her daughter's former health care provider and three of its employees, alleging the developmentally disabled 23-year-old was raped, impregnated and suffered physical injuries while in their care.

The lawsuit, filed on behalf of the patient, says National Mentor Healthcare's Pensacola Cluster failed to take proper care of the woman, who has profound intellectual disabilities, a neurological disorder called Rett syndrome and other physical ailments.
The patient is non-verbal and immobile, the lawsuit says. She also has trouble using her hands and arms.
"Our client's mother is outraged and devastated by what happened to her daughter, and wants to protect her daughter from abuse and for her daughter to be safe," attorney James Green Jr. said in a statement Thursday.

The case was investigated last year by the Escambia County Sheriff's Office, which said it couldn't identify a suspect and had exhausted all leads.
The daughter lived at the Pensacola Cluster intermediate-care facility from September 28, 2010, until February 7, 2018. She attended Escambia Westgate School on weekdays, a school for people with intellectual and physical disabilities, according to the lawsuit.
What happened
In late January 2018, Westgate employees who change the woman's diapers observed behavioral changes and physical injuries to the plaintiff, specifically bruising on her hip, the lawsuit says. They said she was crying and appeared to be in pain.
The lawsuit says Westgate staff notified Pensacola Cluster in three phone calls and in an email about concerns about injuries to the woman. Despite the calls, the suit says, the employees of Florida Mentor, which is part of Boston-based National Mentor Healthcare, didn't report the woman's injuries to state authorities.
The lawsuit also names Jennifer Prorock, an area director/administrator; Joyce Stokes, director of nursing; and Shaneoce Pace, assistant director of nursing. CNN could not reach any of the women for comment.
When the woman was sent to a doctor after the third contact from Westgate, an X-ray was ordered that uncovered a broken hip.
She needed surgery, the court document says. During a pre-surgery check, medical authorities discovered she was pregnant and did a sexual assault exam.
The lawsuit says the patient had a miscarriage, but it doesn't say when.
The executive director of Florida Mentor said they are committed to making a positive difference with patients.
The executive director of the Mentor network, which oversees the Pensacola Cluster, said the facility is cooperating with the investigation and the company is committed to making a positive difference with patients.
"We take our obligation to ensure the well-being of those we serve very seriously, including compliance with all reporting requirements," Carol Swanson said. "As part of our overall commitment to continuous quality improvement, we regularly review our protocols with the goal of enhancing the quality of our services and minimizing any risk to the health and safety of the individuals we support."
Sheriff says kit didn't find DNA
The lawsuit asks for unspecified damages and for costs covering medical and legal expenses and money spent on moving the woman to a new facility. The mother is the 23-year-old woman's legal guardian.
The sheriff's office said in a social media post authorities using a sexual assault kit were unable to find someone else's DNA.
"We are confident that all investigative leads have been exhausted," the office said on Facebook.
CNN reached out to the sheriff's office for additional comments but there was no further information, a spokesperson said.
A February 22, 2018 report from the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration found nine deficiencies at the facility.
The agency's investigation also found that Westgate records indicate that employees at the facility only responded "OK" when informed of the patient's injuries by school staff.
During an interview with a state investigator, Prorock said that after receiving an email from the patient's teacher, she met with Stokes and another employee and was told the patient had not acted "weird" during the weekend, according to the report.
Prorock told the investigator that someone examined the woman's physical condition and found no problems.
The administrator told an investigator she thought the woman's injuries may have been caused by an ill-fitting wheelchair.
No one at the Pensacola Cluster took action regarding the injuries until after a state investigator came to the facility, the report says.
Another review in March found the facility to be back in compliance and "all deficiencies were found to be corrected."
"Because of patient privacy laws, we cannot comment on a specific case," Florida AHCA spokeswoman Shelisha Coleman said.
CNN was unable to reach officials at Escambia Westgate School for comment.

This is appalling and I am so hurt for this woman. I don't understand people who prey on vulnerable people, babies, or animals for fun, fetish, or sport. They need to be permanently removed from society because they have zero boundaries and the harm they can cause is catastrophic.

:cry4::cry: This is awful. I wonder how widespread this is.

I bet my life that it is more common than we realize. The bible talks about people having feet running to do badness. Some people are simply wicked just because they can. And they seem to be getting younger and younger in these cases of depravity too.

This is the very reason you need to keep check on your folks that are in LTC facilities

I agree with this 100% but I just remembered that my dad was in hospice when I was younger. We lived in Chicago and the facility he was in was located in Indiana and my mom didn't drive because we lived walking distance to everything and she was a ball of nerves. Plus, she was busy working full time taking care of 5/7 kids still at home. She went to see him every weekend with my granddad but after he died, a nurse told my mom that the staff would abuse him and take his money and other nice things. He couldn't tell us himself because his esophagus was removed and he couldn't speak at all. I don't doubt that some relatives may not want to be bothered with going, but also many may live far from these places and may not have the resources to be there more often. Kind of like all those people who couldn't flee Katrina because they had nothing. This is all so, so sad.

rafikichick92

This is so sad. A family I know has a son who survived a drowning at age 14. He is still alive 20 years later, but has severe brain damage (can’t speak, move, relieve himself, etc). Despite this, the family has never put him in a nursing home. They care for him themselves with the help of nurses and aides. Obviously everyone isn’t able to do this, but reading this story gives me a new respect for that family.