Votes: 129 93.5%
  • I agree. Cut that hair off after 40

Votes: 9 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Subscribe

Do you agree or disagree?

Today on Kelly and Michael.......

Kelly: This is an age appropriateness and certain styles, ok? So, what is the age limit, would you say for waist length hair? I don't know why I'm -- I just went --

[Laughter]

I'm very long waisted. Waist length hair. Don't look at this.

Michael: I always picture older women with waist length hair.

Elly: Older women? Where?

Michael: Well, excuse me, fashionable audience!

[Applause]

Maybe you should hang out where I hang out, ok? Since the audience is booing me, basically --

[Laughter]

[Laughter]

Kelly: Oh, no. No, no, no.

Michael: What is it?

Kelly: They're saying 41 is the ainge limit for waist-length hair. I think that waist-length hair is definitely a younger woman's game unless you are incredibly youthful and unless you have incredible hair, it sometimes can tend to make you look older, I think.

Michael: I think from my experience, it's an older lady who just doesn't care anymore.

[Laughter]

That's where I've seen it.

Kelly: She's just given up entirely.

cocosweet

Well, that's an odd *** number. One size does not fit all. If aging has caused your hair to start thinning and your cheeks and jowls are sagging then maybe you should let it go. Otherwise, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

sunnieb

Disagree.

I'm 41 and I plan to let my hair grow as long as it will go.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

Neomorph

It shouldn't matter if you're 4, 41 or 400! If you took the time to grow waist length hair then you should be able to wear it!

CaraWalker

there is a thing among white women where they think long hair is girlish and only for young girls and when they grow up it looks childish to have hair longer than shoulder length. i kind of agree with them only because its so pervasive that the few women who go against it tend to fit the stereotype.

the other thing is that ive never seen an older indian woman with a "mom" haircut - they always keep their hair long - so with that in mind i would call into question the merits of the entire argument.

overtherainbow

I went to high school and college with this guy who's mother had platinum blond hair down to her thighs, but it was all split ends. The kids used to call her Cousin It:nono:
Long hair, just like short hair only looks good if it's healthy. I see what they're saying about some women look plain with long hair, but that's a very narrow representation of the many 40+ women who have gorgeous, shiny and we'll manicured long locs.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
44 with past WL hair checking in. Mine is healthy and not thinning. I usually wear it curly or up but when I let to out, I get nothing but compliments.

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America
Who comes up with these numbers and rules?? Are they written down somewhere because I can't keep up.

Dak

I think there is some truth to it, for stick straight hair. Long straight hanging hair accentuate the lines on the face and pull them down more, making you appear older. So more, the more we age, the more style is needed, even if it's just a beautiful long side braid.

bklynbornNbred

It depends.

On some people who have long hair it ages them because they do nothing to it (including trimming or coloring or any type of styling) and it drags their face down.

Then you have others (like Sade) who keeps her long hair but because she looks good overall would look great with her long hair or if she cut it down.

There is that "40 year old bob" that many moms get because they are so busy and don't have the time to manage the upkeep of longer hair (think Kris Kardashian vs. Kim and the sisters). However Kris is the type that if she let it grow out she would make sure to keep it colored and styled precisely but many everyday women just don't which is why on so many make over shows the first thing the stylist goes for is changing up the hair.

I get what they were saying and honestly there are some even on here that a good cut wouldn't hurt.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Disagree! I'm 36, and when I'm 40 something, I am pretty sure I'll still look like I'm in my 20s the way I do right now (fingers crossed). I'm going to wear it as long as it'll get.

RegaLady

Agree:look:

I think most women look great with hair between SL and BSL. I think if you must go long after 40 then this is the most flattering length, IMO. Too short or too long will depend on facial features, body, attitude, etc.

I have never seen a black women over 40 with WL who looked amazing with it...it looked like a drag.

Joigirl

It depends in the person. I've seen older women with short hair that look matronly and the same for long hair. I think it depends on the length and the cut. I don't think that most women over 40 look good with a blunt cut, but layered hair looks good on just about every one.

bklynbornNbred

Thin stick straight, raggedy, splits, etc. don't look good at any length.

True but raggedy unhealthy waist length hair usually looks better when cut up bluntly to MBL or even BSL with some layers. Too many on here hold on to their hair for dear life just to have a certain length when they need to focus on health or ability to style it once in a while.

Lylddlebit

I met a woman in her 60's with hip length sister locks and I would describe her as regal. Her long hair suited her very well.

cocosweet

Agree:look:

I think most women look great with hair between SL and BSL. I think if you must go long after 40 then this is the most flattering length, IMO. Too short or too long will depend on facial features, body, attitude, etc.

I have never seen a black women over 40 with WL who looked amazing with it...it looked like a drag.
This is where being on Team Natural can come in handy. Type 4 WL hair will have a visible length of somewhere between SL-APL. Win!:lol:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
...and let me tell you one mo thing...if I get my twa to grow to waist length you best believe imma rock it, baby! I wish somebody would say something about age appropriate.

CaraWalker

my boss is an older white lady (she may be in her 50s idk) and she has long hair for a white lady. im not sure why. its not particularly flattering. her hair is thick and wavy, it just doesnt accentuate her in any way. i made a note of it bc she is one of the few older ww ive seen with hair that length at that age.

our front desk is a puerto rican lady with butt length hair. shes prob in her 40s.

Dak

It depends.

On some people who have long hair it ages them because they do nothing to it (including trimming or coloring or any type of styling) and it drags their face down.

Then you have others (like Sade) who keeps her long hair but because she looks good overall would look great with her long hair or if she cut it down.

There is that "40 year old bob" that many moms get because they are so busy and don't have the time to manage the upkeep of longer hair (think Kris Kardashian vs. Kim and the sisters). However Kris is the type that if she let it grow out she would make sure to keep it colored and styled precisely but many everyday women just don't which is why on so many make over shows the first thing the stylist goes for is changing up the hair.

I get what they were saying and honestly there are some even on here that a good cut wouldn't hurt.

LOL! Same thoughts, posted a minute apart!!!