Women Who Braid w/o Extensions - Success?

quasimodi

I've been natural for a couple of years, but, due to ignorance, after stumbling across longhaircareforum I realized I've been doing a lot of things wrong. Such as not washing my hair for two-three months, not having a decent deep conditioner, not protecting my ends, not nourishing my scalp, using sulfate shampoos...and this list goes on. Ever since Feb/March of '08, I've been slowly, but surely trying to get my hair care act together and I've been seeing some progress; however...

Even though it's the middle of summer, I'm looking towards fall/winter and considering what I can do to in the form of protective styling to preserve and protect my hair during the cold months as well as to encourage growth.

I'd really like to try braids, because I'd like to cut down on the daily manipulation of my hair, but I just cannot wear extensions. Something about the extra weight on my hair just irritates me and I've never managed to keep any type of braids in my hair for longer than a week or so before having to take them out.

That just leaves me with braiding my own hair, which is natural. But, I'm a little clueless as to what the day to day maintenance of it would require. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a regimen and/or products that could be used if I tried this. How long should I leave them in before rebraiding? Is a rest period required like I had heard when people where extensions? How often should I shampoo/cowash? How should I do it so that I can still maintain the style? Etc., etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Oh, and any pics of braided styles w/o extensions would be nice, too. :yep:

d-rock

You know, I thought braids were pretty heavy on my head too, but you could try twists. The hair used for twists is MUCH MUCH lighter and does not weight your head down or put as much stress on your hair.

daaiyah

I braid and plait without extensions all the time, but my hair is relaxed.
I wash my hair and condition 2+ times per week. I oil my hair 2+ times per week. It just doesn't take much product when they are in braids and my hair responds better to products.
I try to tie up my hair at night but I usually slack off after the first 3 weeks.:rolleyes:

Soliel185

I kept my hair braided w/o extensions for about 2 years. My braids went from eye length to shoulderlength in that time. My hair straighted when I finally took them out was between APL and BSL.

From what I recall ( I took them out 1 1/2 ago) I rinsed my hair every day ( I didn't tie up my hair at night, so sometimes I'd wake up looking like a braided buckwheat) and the only hair product I used was the Ginseng Wonder 8 oil in the spray bottle. I almost never used shampoo, but would co-wash ever 2 days or so. I redid each braid one by one, so I never saw all of it at once. My Avi is a pic of what happened when I did.

I'm transitioning right now, but once I'm fully natural I plan on doing this again to take breaks. It was very good for my hair and definitely cut down on manipulation, and breakage. I just wish I had DC'd more.

quasimodi

I kept my hair braided w/o extensions for about 2 years. My braids went from eye length to shoulderlength in that time. My hair straighted when I finally took them out was between APL and BSL.

From what I recall ( I took them out 1 1/2 ago) I rinsed my hair every day ( I didn't tie up my hair at night, so sometimes I'd wake up looking like a braided buckwheat) and the only hair product I used was the Ginseng Wonder 8 oil in the spray bottle. I almost never used shampoo, but would co-wash ever 2 days or so. I redid each braid one by one, so I never saw all of it at once. My Avi is a pic of what happened when I did.

I'm transitioning right now, but once I'm fully natural I plan on doing this again to take breaks. It was very good for my hair and definitely cut down on manipulation, and breakage. I just wish I had DC'd more.

Thanks for the information. About how big did you make your braids? What did you do to keep your ends moisturized?

quasimodi

I braid and plait without extensions all the time, but my hair is relaxed.
I wash my hair and condition 2+ times per week. I oil my hair 2+ times per week. It just doesn't take much product when they are in braids and my hair responds better to products.
I try to tie up my hair at night but I usually slack off after the first 3 weeks.:rolleyes:

Cool. How do you wash and condition with the braids in? Do you just dilute the products and apply?

How long did you keep your braids in before you redid them? Did you DC?

msa

I might start doing this. Does anyone have pictures of their braided styles?

I would assume that you could DC and everything like normal, you'd just want to rinse really well. Hmmmm.

PassionFruit

when I did my DC a few years ago, I braided my natural hair with no extensions ( micros) .... I went from eye legnth to brushing shoulder legnth in less than a 15 months

Soliel185

Thanks for the information. About how big did you make your braids? What did you do to keep your ends moisturized?

They were about the size of a No#2 pencil. I never used anything special to moisturize the ends. I sprayed the oil onto my damp hair so I guess I was sealing. The ends would get so curly/coily after a few washes they never came loose or anything.

Soliel185

I might start doing this. Does anyone have pictures of their braided styles?

I would assume that you could DC and everything like normal, you'd just want to rinse really well. Hmmmm.

mine were just box braids so I would wear them up, down, half up, buns, whatever. I liked that it gave me the versatility to style quickly and easily with very little maintenance. I never used heat on them though..

msa

mine were just box braids so I would wear them up, down, half up, buns, whatever. I liked that it gave me the versatility to style quickly and easily with very little maintenance. I never used heat on them though..

Thanks! My only problem is that when my hair is loose it looks thick and full but when it's braided/twisted it looks thin and anorexic. So I feel like styles with braids/twists look weird on me (and a little young too).

Maybe I'll try it when I take my weave out and see if my hair has thickened up. Hopefully it'll look better!

anherica

I've been rotating braids and twists with my own hair as part of the C&G Challenge. I have really enjoyed the ease of these hair styles.

As far as routine goes, I use diluted shampoo once a week or every two weeks, depending on how my scalp feels. I concentrate on my scalp and gently sqeeze the run off through the length of my hair. I follow up with a conditioner (V05, Suave, Garnier Nektar or Garnier Wonder Treatment) or a deep condition (Hair Mayo or homemade). In between shampooings, I conditioner rinse once or twice a week or so. When I'm done in the shower, I blot the excess water, add my moisturizer (usually S-Curl) focusing on the ends and then smooth on some castor oil. Sometimes instead of doing that, I just apply my homemade shea-aloe all over, but with extra on the ends. I keep my braids in for at least two weeks, but the longest I've gone is four. At night, I sleep in a satin scarf on a satin pillow case. Besides just letting the braids hang as they are, I've worn them in two French braids, or in a pinned up do.

Here are a few pics. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• HPIM0255_506x480.jpg
    HPIM0255_506x480.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 15
  • HPIM0258_397x480.jpg
    HPIM0258_397x480.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 9
  • boxbraidsleft_414x480.jpg
    boxbraidsleft_414x480.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 10
  • boxbraidsright_443x480.jpg
    boxbraidsright_443x480.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
This is exactly what I'm planning to do with my natural hair.

I was thinking of having locs and have decided not to go with that.

When I'm fully trasitioned, I'm hoping to keep my hair in braids ALL THE TIME, but I'm not a fan of extentions either, so I'll be using my natural hair.

Redoing the plaits one at a time but never taking out the whole head.

Nonie gave me this idea.:yep:

It's worked for her very well maybe you can PM her.

I don't know who mentioned it but it's a fab idea to put the diluted shampoo in a spray bottle and then apply it directly to your scalp. Thanks for the tip.

Maybe we should make this a challenge?

E. Princess

I've been natural for a couple of years, but, due to ignorance, after stumbling across longhaircareforum I realized I've been doing a lot of things wrong. Such as not washing my hair for two-three months, not having a decent deep conditioner, not protecting my ends, not nourishing my scalp, using sulfate shampoos...and this list goes on. Ever since Feb/March of '08, I've been slowly, but surely trying to get my hair care act together and I've been seeing some progress; however...

Even though it's the middle of summer, I'm looking towards fall/winter and considering what I can do to in the form of protective styling to preserve and protect my hair during the cold months as well as to encourage growth.

I'd really like to try braids, because I'd like to cut down on the daily manipulation of my hair, but I just cannot wear extensions. Something about the extra weight on my hair just irritates me and I've never managed to keep any type of braids in my hair for longer than a week or so before having to take them out.

That just leaves me with braiding my own hair, which is natural. But, I'm a little clueless as to what the day to day maintenance of it would require. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a regimen and/or products that could be used if I tried this. How long should I leave them in before rebraiding? Is a rest period required like I had heard when people where extensions? How often should I shampoo/cowash? How should I do it so that I can still maintain the style? Etc., etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Oh, and any pics of braided styles w/o extensions would be nice, too. :yep:

You can just wet/shampoo/cowash your braids as much or as little as you want. Just listen to your hair. If you feel that need or want to wash, just shampoo/co-wash, then moisturize/seal. I use either shea butter or castor oil on my braids.

As for day to day, just moisturize as needed. You can add shea butter or can dampen the hair with water and add or oil. I usually wear braids between one and two weeks before rebraiding.

Sometimes, instead of dealing with a head full of loose hair, I would shampoo and conditon my hair with the braids, moisturize then unbraid, detangle each braid one at time.

Here's my routine for braids. Maybe you can it useful.

On freshly washed, detangled, soaking wet hair, I add about 2-3 cap fulls of castor oil to my hair, then braid. I may rinse or wash my hair every 3-4 days. I'll apply the shampoo mainly concentrating on the scalp. While rinsing, I squeeze the braids to make sure all the product is gone. When adding the conditioner, I concentrate it on the hair itself and leave on for 3-5 minutes, rinse and squeeze. While my hair is still dripping, I'll add castor oil to my hair.

(Click on the pictures to see them larger)

The average size of my braids

The size of my mini braids

Braids after two weeks and several washings

I wear my braids in pinned-up. The front, sides and back are usually pinned and the middle is left out.

Below are a few examples.

Same style different views

Sides and/or pinned

HTH

You can just wet/shampoo/cowash your braids as much or as little as you want. Just listen to your hair. If you feel that need or want to wash, just shampoo/co-wash, then moisturize/seal. I use either shea butter or castor oil on my braids.

As for day to day, just moisturize as needed. You can add shea butter or can dampen the hair with water and add or oil. I usually wear braids between one and two weeks before rebraiding.

Sometimes, instead of dealing with a head full of loose hair, I would shampoo and conditon my hair with the braids, moisturize then unbraid, detangle each braid one at time.

On freshly washed, detangled, soaking wet hair, I add about 2-3 cap fulls of castor oil to my hair, then braid. I may rinse or wash my hair every 3-4 days. I'll apply the shampoo mainly concentrating on the scalp. While rinsing, I squeeze the braids to make sure all the product is gone. When adding the conditioner, I concentrate it on the hair itself and leave on for 3-5 minutes, rinse and squeeze. While my hair is still dripping, I'll add castor oil to my hair.

I wear my braids in pinned-up. The front, sides and back are usually pinned and the middle is left out.

Sides and/or pinned

HTH

Beautiful!!!

quasimodi

Sides and/or pinned

HTH

Thanks so much. Your hair looks so cute!

quasimodi

Thanks! My only problem is that when my hair is loose it looks thick and full but when it's braided/twisted it looks thin and anorexic. So I feel like styles with braids/twists look weird on me (and a little young too).

Maybe I'll try it when I take my weave out and see if my hair has thickened up. Hopefully it'll look better!

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions.

Years ago, when I relaxed, I used to feel that way. I'm hoping that my natural hair will make the braids seem thicker. As a styling technique, I was considering doing pincurls on the braids in order to encourage them to curl. You know, like sprtiz with a leave-in/water mixture and then pincurl in place with bobbypins. Let dry for a time and then remove when completely dry. Accessorize with flowers, ribbons, etc.

I feel that that might give me some more styling options.

discodumpling

I have fine thin naturally nappy hair and I love to braid my own hair. It keeps me out of my hair for weeks at a time. I co wash or rinse almost every time I take a shower, & moisturize as needed; I DC up to 2 X weekly. I usually keep them pinned up or braided up even further.

October 2007: This shows the thinness of each braid.

Dec 2007: This is about as plumped up as they get. These are almost 3 weeks old.

Soliel185

I used to hate getting them redone by professionals b/c I would look like a drowned rat afterward. I would get home and rinse them and rub them until they plumped up. They kind of looked like kinky twists - they were about that size. When they got good and worn in I would scrunch them while damp to make them a little wavy. I don't have any pics on my computer - they were all before my digital camera....:nono:

cclark1

I have braided my hair for the summer w/o extensions. It so low maintence (sp)??. I wash my hair, go get it braided at the salon ($30) and wear it for 2 weeks. Then I take down the braids, give my hair a rest for a week and do the same thing again. When I have the braids in I continue to keep it moisturized with oil. You can see pics in my fotki.

quasimodi

When I'm fully trasitioned, I'm hoping to keep my hair in braids ALL THE TIME, but I'm not a fan of extentions either, so I'll be using my natural hair.

I don't know who mentioned it but it's a fab idea to put the diluted shampoo in a spray bottle and then apply it directly to your scalp. Thanks for the tip.

Challenge? Hmmmm. I've never done a challenger before. :rolleyes:

prettykinks

Here are a few pic of some plaits I did on my head w/o extensions. They are not recent but you get the idea. I loved that they can be curled on rollers or left straight or crimped by plaiting them together. I am in twists right now but I am doing more plaits tomorrow. I will post those pic and update my fotki since I haven't done so in a long long time.
]

LiLi

I have been doing this for several years. I have my version of the crown and glory method in my fotki 2004-2005 album. Basically, I plait everything underneath the crown and then put it all in a bun -- no extensions used and my hair has benefited greatly from doing this.

I have had some setbacks along the way. If I get lazy and do not comb out the plaits then I have a really hard time taking the braids down and also get a lot of knots -- causing a lot of breakage and a lot of hair having to be cut out.

quasimodi

Here are a few pic of some plaits I did on my head w/o extensions. They are not recent but you get the idea. I loved that they can be curled on rollers or left straight or crimped by plaiting them together. I am in twists right now but I am doing more plaits tomorrow. I will post those pic and update my fotki since I haven't done so in a long long time.
]

Pretty! You're very skilled

MysteryMe

This is similiar to what I did. I'm relaxed now, but I was previously natural for eight years. In that time, I kept my hair braided (without fake hair) the entire time. I washed and rebraided every week to three weeks, depending on how the style held up. Personally I tried to rebraid often because I was learning how to braid to avoid paying anybody. On occassion, I rebraided one by one like queen said. My hair really thrived within that time and grew like crazy. Braiding had it's ups and downs, hair can be heavy, sweaty in the summer and give you a headache after braiding. I greased my scalp regularly, never conditioned :look: and never trimmed my ends. If I had a clue how to care for natural hair then, I would not have relaxed.

xxBlackRosexx

my hair is sholder length, i would love to do these braids with my natural hair...but i cannot imagine turning up for work like this...!

Its not right (i know) but they simply would not accept this!