Worst conditioners For Cowashing?

acapnleo

@acapnleo,

I have the Roux Porosity Control shampoo and have no idea how to use it. How do you fit it into your regimen??

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

@KiWiStyle I use it probably too often :look:-- but it feels right for me.

Anyway, that translates to maybe like once a week, or every one to two weeks. When I feel my hair can use a pick me up. It is one of the best shampoos I have used :yep:

When I rinse, my hair seriously doesn't feel like I am rinsing shampoo... It feels so smooth and soft... I actually broke into an insane giggle the first time I used it :look: -- why the heck did I wait so long to try this stuff?

Anyway, the conditioner... The porosity conditioner that goes with it "LOOKS" wimpy and lacks any type of thickness... but, just go with it!
Put it in your hair (generously)... let it sit while you wash up / shave, whatever... when you rinse... it's all :yep::lick:
*results may vary... but, I will repurchase and keep it handy.

Hope that helps... let me know how you like it.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
Aussie Moist!

I lost a ball of hair with that stuff!

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

I tried this for the first time this week and loved it! Gonna try it again in a few minutes. If it works, I'm keeping it in the rotation.

Sorry it didn't work for you.

lamaria211

There are really no "worst" conditioners because one heads (head of hair) trash is another heads treasure

Kindheart

lamaria211 said:
There are really no "worst" conditioners because one heads (head of hair) trash is another heads treasure

I think there are products that are not suitable for cowashing regardless of the hair type .It's slightly different from "whars the best shampoo/moisturizer" .

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
Yes!!! Tried this a few weeks ago and was disappointed, I love the smell, however.

Honeycomb

At least you got something out of using it cos you liked the smell! I hated that, too, LOL!

I was so suprised this conditioner didn't work for me because early in my HHJ, when I used to LURK on the regular, I pretty much used all the different formulas of Nature's Gate and while some were better than others (Jojoba and Hemp were FLAWLESS!), they were all wonderful for co-washing! And, to top it all off, the Herbal Conditioner came in a liter sized bottle, so you know I was happy about that!

Oh, well. You live and you learn. But I still love the old formula (no protein) of the Aloe Conditioner for a leave-in/moisturizer...

TeeMartini

Anything Herbal Essence... And I've tried to like that brand so much...long term relationship, hello hydration. Ewwww, yuck, gross :(

JBunnie

Aussie Moist provided great slip and moisture. I used it twice in one week (no shampooing in between) The first time I had no issues but the second time I cowashed with it my hair felt coated.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I think there are products that are not suitable for cowashing regardless of the hair type .It's slightly different from "whars the best shampoo/moisturizer" .

This post made me wonder, are "cleansing conditioners" REALLY necessary or any different from other cowash conditioners? Are they necessary or are our original oldies good enough. I just got into cowashing and feel like Wen and the others are just doing good business and capitalizing off of a new wave of thinking. I don't know. Sorry for the OT question.

vtoodler

I'm so surprised.

I had thought that any conditioner would do for co-washing.

Last edited:

cutiebe2

Conditioners with cones are off limits for co-washing. I think that message hasn't been stressed enough although when I first started on the board and co-washing was newer, people made that clear

I will co-wash with a -cone conditioner once in a while but I know what I'm doing. Its usually when I know I will be shampooing in the next two days so it doesn't matter as much. You can't condition, pre-poo, co-wash etc hair that has been co-washed with -cones without shampooing first.

JBunnie

Dayjoy, I really don't see why there would be a difference. I haven't used a "cleansing conditioner" as of yet, but I do want to use the Curl Junkie one just to see if there is a difference. I'd assume that ones formulated for cleansing wouldn't be made with cones to avoid build up, but that's the only difference I can think of.

vtoodler, there are just some conditioners that don't moisturize well, and since that is one half of the point of cowashing that would defeat the purpose of using it. I remember my Organix Renewing Moroccan Oil Conditioner, I used it as directed after shampooing and it was just drying. So overall it wasn't a good conditioner. And a lot of people don't like to use ones with cones in them for cowashing if they are on a no/lo poo reggie or if they cowash multiple times before shampooing because it cane leave hair feeling coated.

BadMamaJama

For me, I co-wash to retain moisture. I use Aussie Moist, then follow up with my heavy duty conditioner like GVP knockoff Matrix Balm or Kenra MC and my hair is left soft and moisturized. I wash my hair about once a week to clean it. I don't really care if something has cones in it, as long as my hair likes it. I know AM does wonders for my hair while VO5 (no cones) does nothing at all.
I think that the most important thing to remember when it comes to this hair thing, is to listen to your hair.

I was so wrong about VO5! I tried it when I was natural and it sucked on my natural hair. I also didn't know how to cowash correctly. I found some strawberries and milk VO5 in my stash and tried it on my relaxed hair and my hair felt great. I also love the fact that it doesn't have cones.

Last edited:

sunnieb

Noooo dont say that! I have a full bottle I bought because it got such great reviews here:(

WHAT?!?!:blush:

I have used AUSSIE MOIST for years... and it really is good stuff... I have the large with a pump :yep:
Not sure why you lost a ball of hair from it.

In fact, I rinse it out... and then I even put it back in my hair (as a leave in)... lots of it-- when I am doing curly wash n go.

I tried this for the first time this week and loved it! Gonna try it again in a few minutes. If it works, I'm keeping it in the rotation.

Sorry it didn't work for you.

IKR! So many of my LHCF sistas love this stuff, but my hair hates it!

It seemed like it was going to be fabulous and give me alot of slip, but I distinctly remember rinsing it out and my hair started getting harder and tangly. It was awful!

I even tried to give the rest of it away to family/friends, but nobody wanted to touch it after I told them what happened to me. I tried telling them that just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for them, but they weren't havin' it. I threw that big purple bottle in the trash.

tiffjust2002

My hair loves V05 Moisture Milks, it works best for my co-washes. My hair doesn't care for Suave Almond and Shea Butter, I used it for awhile thinking it was the business but came to realize it's not for my hair, it smells good though :)

Phoenix14

Hands down best for me has been VO5 Kiwi and Lime, Suave Humectant, Suave Coconut. Them cheapies rock.

Iluvsmuhgrass

V05 Moisture Milk (strawberry "flavored") left me with chemical burns. NEVER AGAIN.
Suave Humecto or whatever that crap is called. (May it burn in hell)

BadMamaJama

Conditioners with cones are off limits for co-washing. I think that message hasn't been stressed enough although when I first started on the board and co-washing was newer, people made that clear

I will co-wash with a -cone conditioner once in a while but I know what I'm doing. Its usually when I know I will be shampooing in the next two days so it doesn't matter as much. You can't condition, pre-poo, co-wash etc hair that has been co-washed with -cones without shampooing first.

cutiebe2, You are so right. I originally thought it didn't matter, but I now know that no cones are the key if you are going to cowash daily. I just read through the cowashing and bunning thread and they said exactly what you said.

TheMenAllPause

Biotera moisturizing conditioner....hmph...that foolishment sat on top of my hair and did NOTHING! I now use it to shave my legs, it isn't worthy of touching my hair.

irisak

Anything herbal essences......

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

Kindheart

I cowashed with bumble Bumble coco something and it was absolutley terrible,it made my hair dry and knotty IN the shower ! BAD BAD BAD

Last edited:

shanelallyn30

Cheap/drugstore conditioners (herbal essences, tresemme, etc). It took me a while to figure this out because they all felt good going on, gave good slip, helped me detangle, and felt moisturizing. The problem was that, in the long run, they were the cause of my dry hair. I'd blame the leave-ins, moisturizers, and stylers, but I found that once I stopped using these types of conditioners, my hair would hold moisture better.

man I think I can see this being an issue already

sunnieb

All these years later and I've never bone back to try Aussie Moist again.

My hair still loves all things HE, Garnier, and WEN though.

PlanetCybertron

V05 is a bit on the rough side for me. The cetyl and stearyl alcohols dry my hair, and the stearalkonium chloride doesn’t give me an opportunity to detangle properly. No slip whatsoever.

A lot of the other conditioners that have been mentioned, I will use, and I don’t really have a problem with, but Herbal Essences, and Aussie brands give me borderline moisture overload after like two washes, and I have to overcompensate with protein.

My hair thrives on cones, but I only gently wash with sulfate free shampoo on the first 6 inches of hair or so. Shampooing my ends ensures that it will take a week to get a good coating back on my ends to protect them.

The Jäson brand conditioners I don’t particularly like. I understand a few of them are for strengthening, but they really rough up my roots.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
IKR! So many of my LHCF sistas love this stuff, but my hair hates it!

It seemed like it was going to be fabulous and give me alot of slip, but I distinctly remember rinsing it out and my hair started getting harder and tangly. It was awful!

I even tried to give the rest of it away to family/friends, but nobody wanted to touch it after I told them what happened to me. I tried telling them that just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for them, but they weren't havin' it. I threw that big purple bottle in the trash.

I hate the same problem. Wanted to love AM sooo bad but it made my hair feel like straight garbage. I think it is the cones, but I can't be sure.

Most products with cones are a no for me and cowashing. The only exception was Joico, but it was just too darn expensive for me to justify buying continuously. I have a full bottle collecting dust since I went CG.