Would u be concerned w/this amount of breakage or am i trippin?

coyacoy

Morning ladies ....trying to figure out whether the amount of broken hairs i see on wash day is reasonable, so i posted a pic in hopes of having others weigh in with what they see as normal re: amount of broken hairs on wash day and after detangling. Hoping for some context to help me determine if i should be worried with what i'm seeing or if i am trippin. I know some breakage is expected i am just struggling to figure out what is a normal amount.
Note the second pic shows the shed hairs, which u usually have way more of

Thanks very much for ur input

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1325165009633.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325165009633.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 247
  • uploadfromtaptalk1325165029489.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325165029489.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 242
  • uploadfromtaptalk1325165194569.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1325165194569.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 168

Mis007

I am assuming that pic 2 is your breakage, I do lose more than this and still have a lot of hair :yep:

JJamiah

Bragger, nothing is wrong with that. I wish I could get that instead of the Chia pet of hair I get out :(

coyacoy

Hoping to hear from a few more as the day wears on....thanks again, ladies, ur input is very helpful.

preciouslove0x

i don't get that many broken hairs (i do have a lot of shed hairs though). i also don't have as much hair as you either though. i have fine, low/med density SL hair. so you might have to take into consideration other factors when you ask a question like this...

not sure if this matters but how often do you wash your hair?

coyacoy

you shouldn't worry!!! has it always been like that?

Thanks g.lo for weighing in....and that is a very good question.....actually i used to get much fewer/less broken hairs which is i guess why i am so uber-aware of what i see now since it's an increase. With that said though, i was prol doing a lot less w/my hair re: manipulation.

So do u normally see that amount or more? Thx again

JJamiah

you shouldn't worry!!! has it always been like that?

Being honest there was time I'd get maybe 3-5 shed hairs and nothing more.

Those days are Once Upon a Time - So long gone.

If I got what you got, I'd be a happy camper, :)

It is fine and your expected to lose 50-100 shed hairs aday (now my 200-300) hairs is a problem

Feel blessed and don't stress it isn't bad at all :)

the only thing that would concern me is the small breakage in the first pic. I'd wonder why it is breaking like that.

g.lo

Thanks g.lo for weighing in....and that is a very good question.....actually i used to get much fewer/less broken hairs which is i guess why i am so uber-aware of what i see now since it's an increase. With that said though, i was prol doing a lot less w/my hair re: manipulation.

So do u normally see that amount or more? Thx again

i usually get shed hair maybe about 5 broken hairs! but if the amount has increased you should monitor, maybe you need a bit of protein?

coyacoy

i don't get that many broken hairs (i do have a lot of shed hairs though). i also don't have as much hair as you either though. i have fine, low/med density SL hair. so you might have to take into consideration other factors when you ask a question like this...

Thx preciouslove0x ....good point....i did think about the differences in length which is why i included the 3rd pic, but hadn't considered typing info. I think i am a 4 but i know i have fine strands that are somewhere between med and high porosity.

Thx again....having at least a baseline for comparison (differences n all :) is very helpful!

coyacoy

i usually get shed hair maybe about 5 broken hairs! but if the amount has increased you should monitor, maybe you need a bit of protein?

g.lo ...yes to the protein....i've incorporated it into my reggie over about the last 6 weeks because prior i really wasn't using any thinking that henna would be enough(wrong).......each week since incorporating protein i see less and less but i feel like it's still too much. DH talking about i am trippin...i said how would u know? An entire strand for u is the size of one of my broken hairs! I'm going to the board!

LaFemmeNaturelle

How often do you comb your hair? I get alot of shed hair but those small broken ends are cause for concern IMO. Especially if you usually get less than that. I only comb my hair once a month and I THINK I get less than that. Not totally sure. I'll pay closer attention next time I detangle. But if the amount has changed for you then you should reevaluate your regimen and products. Is it time to clarify? Do you need protein/moisture? Do you need to manipulate your hair less? Have you changed any steps or products? Etc.

coyacoy

How often do you comb your hair? I get alot of shed hair but those small broken ends are cause for concern IMO. Especially if you usually get less than that. I only comb my hair once a month and I THINK I get less than that. Not totally sure. I'll pay closer attention next time I detangle. But if the amount has changed for you then you should reevaluate your regimen and products. Is it time to clarify? Do you need protein/moisture? Do you need to manipulate your hair less? Have you changed any steps or products? Etc.

Thank you, LaFemmeNaturelle ...u've got me to thinking...maybe i need to trim more......while i transitioned and for sometime thereafter i trimmed much more frequently but have gotten away from that only doing so after several months at a time

Bublin

OP, i WAS getting that amount and more for a long time until i realised i was using too much protein and my hair was snapping off, no matter how gentle i was. At every step it was breaking off - i do wonder how i have hair on my head.

I know you said that you have upped your protein and it has improved so protein overload may not be your issue but please be sure to use lots of moisturisng products too otherwise the protein you incorporate into your routine will eventually be counter-productive.

Not completely removing shed hair on your wash days can also lead to breakage as they tangle up with your rooted hair something crazy and when you try and comb it they get caught up and break off your hair. Again i have learned the hard way not to be lazy on this one as i shed alot.

Do you have Low or very porous hair. Most of us with fine AND low porous hair are actually protein sensitive and can easily overload on it.

My breakage has dramatically been reduced (in the last couple of weeks) by making sure my products are mainly moisturising and also use a Castor Oil mix to seal the ends.

Also, make sure you are dusting regularly. You will notice more breakage when it's time for a trim.

Eveyone's hair is different but if that little voice is telling you it's too much breakage then it probably is.

Last edited:

caltron

Thx @preciouslove0x ....good point....i did think about the differences in length which is why i included the 3rd pic, but hadn't considered typing info. I think i am a 4 but i know i have fine strands that are somewhere between med and high porosity.

Thx again....having at least a baseline for comparison (differences n all :) is very helpful!

Your hair is a lot like mine, which is also fine and high porosity. I wash my hair once a week and I usually notice about 5-10 broken hairs in the tub after a wash and condition. I also have a few during the week--prob less than 5-10, when I'm stying in the mornings. I don't really comb my hair during the week--I just finger comb it, so I have a lot more shed hairs on wash day when I'm blowing it out.

You seem to have a lot of hair so the amount of breakage you're experiencing is very small in relation to that and probably wouldn't even be noticeable. When I was younger, I would constantly have broken hairs everywhere, all day long. My hair could never get past neck length and the ends were always chewed up looking.

But like you, I would like to have less broken hairs if it is possible for our fine, delicate strands. Even if it's just a small amount, that adds up!

coyacoy

OP, i WAS getting that amount and more for a long time until i realised i was using too much protein and my hair was snapping off, no matter how gentle i was. At every step it was breaking off - i do wonder how i have hair on my head.

I know you said that you have upped your protein and it has improved so protein overload may not be your issue but please be sure to use lots of moisturisng products too otherwise the protein you incorporate into your routine will eventually be counter-productive.

Do you have Low or very porous hair. Most of us with fine AND low porous hair are actually protein sensitive and can easily overload on it.

My breakage has dramatically been reduced (in the last couple of weeks) by making sure my products are mainly moisturising and also use a Castor Oil mix to seal the ends.

Also, make sure you are dusting regularly. You will notice more breakage when it's time for a trim.

Eveyone's hair is different but if that little voice is telling you it's too much breakage then it probably is.

Thanks, Bublin. I will be sure to keep moisturizing after protein and sealing with JBCO....i will try a trim (last one was in nov but i don't think i cut enough as it had been several months since my last (like 4-5)

coyacoy

Your hair is a lot like mine, which is also fine and high porosity. I wash my hair once a week and I usually notice about 5-10 broken hairs in the tub after a wash and condition. I also have a few during the week--prob less than 5-10, when I'm stying in the mornings. I don't really comb my hair during the week--I just finger comb it, so I have a lot more shed hairs on wash day when I'm blowing it out.

You seem to have a lot of hair so the amount of breakage you're experiencing is very small in relation to that and probably wouldn't even be noticeable. When I was younger, I would constantly have broken hairs everywhere, all day long. My hair could never get past neck length and the ends were always chewed up looking.

But like you, I would like to have less broken hairs if it is possible for our fine, delicate strands. Even if it's just a small amount, that adds up!

Yes @ caltron!! I can't help but to think that's my growth for the month laying there in the sink,lol! Thanks

Bublin

Thanks, @Bublin. I will be sure to keep moisturizing after protein and sealing with JBCO....i will try a trim (last one was in nov but i don't think i cut enough as it had been several months since my last (like 4-5)

coyacoy i added a bit more to my post re shed hair removal.

Nonie suggests to dust very regularly - every 6-8 weeks to avoid those frayed ends that will lead to breakage. I too would leave it until i could 'feel' i needed a trim -which is too late and then would be lazy and still not do it for another month :ohwell:. Put a schedule on your calender and do dusts like clockwork.

coyacoy

coyacoy i added a bit more to my post re shed hair removal.

Nonie suggests to dust very regularly - every 6-8 weeks to avoid those frayed ends that will lead to breakage. I too would leave it until i could 'feel' i needed a trim -which is too late and then would be lazy and still not do it for another month :ohwell:. Put a schedule on your calender and do dusts like clockwork.

Thanks again Bublin!!

caltron

@coyacoy i added a bit more to my post re shed hair removal.

@Nonie suggests to dust very regularly - every 6-8 weeks to avoid those frayed ends that will lead to breakage. I too would leave it until i could 'feel' i needed a trim -which is too late and then would be lazy and still not do it for another month :ohwell:. Put a schedule on your calender and do dusts like clockwork.

Very interesting. I do seem to notice the breakage more the longer I've gone without a trim. I go 12 weeks between relaxers, and I hardly notice any broken hairs right after a relaxer.

I am always so conflicted about whether to get a trim with each retouch though. I am so impatient to get to APL.